Dropping Weights

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Dropping Weights

Postby KC Masterpiece » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:31 pm

I finally got to a gym with bumper plates but I don't want to go in there and just start wildly tossing weights around.

Any tips on how to properly drop weights? Right now the only lift I'll be dropping weights after are power cleans.
KC Masterpiece

Re: Dropping Weights

Postby vegan hal » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:54 pm

wish i could do that. especially after deadlifts. but in my old wooden house, i fear dropping the bar will likely put a big hole in the floor. even with the thick rubber/foam padding panels i have down.

i should just buckle down and build a small platform that could disperse the shock. but ceiling height is also an issue.

others will have the right answers for you.
vegan hal

Postby JP » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:05 pm

first i would gauge the general mood of the place. Many places have bumper plates but dont really like people dropping them especially without any control.

I try to control the bar all the way even if I do "drop" the weight from overhead, otherwise it can just bounce all over the place and it can get embarrassing :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby ambetious » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:48 pm

I wish I could do that in my gym. Although the place where is workout is pretty hardcore but still the staff don't like the weights to be tossed around.
ambetious

Postby bronco » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:03 pm

When dropping the bar, most important is to make sure no stuff is lying around on the platform, and to keep the wrists behind the bar at all times. If dropped from chest height the bounce will usually be controllable.

Allthough dropping the weights is nice, lowering them under control is also nice. With correct technique for lowering the weights, dropping the bar can be saved for failed and near maximum attempts. With powercleans, the best way to lower the weight is to do more or less a reverse power clean. Start by going into a quarter squat, then quickly lower the elbows to let the weight fall off your shoulders, and at the same time extend the body and go up on your toes. When you are in full extension with straight arms you deaccelerate the weight with your legs and back while following it down, so you end up in something like the start position of a hang clean. Basically the same movement as a powerclean, but in reverse order.

Personally I find it easier to lower the bar after a powerclean if I do it just a split second after catching it, with no pause.
JP wrote:Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby bigfootmarty » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:49 pm

Even with Bumper plates Dropping is a perilous action unless.....
a) floor is designed for dropping ( reinforced and absorbent) {bad bounce and your shin is SHAVED or kneecap whacked}
b) area is safely separated from other lifters and traffic
Marty

Vegan Runner, Backpacker, gardener and Foodie- Former Football player- 6'8 290# , size 17 shoes.....

Vegan for 7-8 years
bigfootmarty

Postby sosso » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:53 am

We have a room away from the main gym with two platforms and they don't mind us dropping weights. Usually when I'm warming up and it's a light enough weight, I will control it on the way down, instead of dropping it. When I drop weights after a jerk, I keep my arms straight and bring them down in front of me until I can see the bar, then let go with both hands at exactly the same time so the bar falls down straight and doesn't bounce all over the place and make a huge noise.
sosso

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:09 pm

"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby knackers » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:33 am

xrodolfox wrote:Image

HAHAHA

love hes face at the end... 'wtf just happened'
“Animals do have a voice. If you ignore their suffering, I will remind you of it. If you don't understand them, I will translate. If you don't hear them, I will be their voice. You may silence them but you cannot silence me as long as I live.” ~ Anita Mahdessian (C
knackers

Postby vegan hal » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:12 am

:shock: ooh! that's gonna leave a mark!
vegan hal

Return to Power and Strength