Chalk

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Chalk

Postby F.B » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:03 pm

Anyone knows if chalk is always vegan? I've heard that magnesium carbonate is sometimes derived from oyster shells, is there any truth to that?

Thanks
F.B

Re: Chalk

Postby JP » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:26 pm

never heard that...

mineral sources are used here at least.
JP
Site Admin

Postby F.B » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:03 pm

Thanks JP. I spent an hour on google as I really want to be sure but I can't find much.
F.B

Postby bigfootmarty » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:39 pm

Oyster shells are mostly CALCIUM carbonate...

often used in Calcium supplements
Marty

Vegan Runner, Backpacker, gardener and Foodie- Former Football player- 6'8 290# , size 17 shoes.....

Vegan for 7-8 years
bigfootmarty

Postby Lordmuppet » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:01 pm

have been using liquid chalk for the past year but just bought some regular chalk on account of it being a fraction of the price.

Normal chalk is a rather big disappointment though. Relative to liquid chalk it doesn't seem to stay on my hands for more than a few minutes :(

any suggestion for ways to make it stay on the hands longer? Maybe I'm not just applying enough.
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Goob » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:39 pm

Lordmuppet wrote:have been using liquid chalk for the past year but just bought some regular chalk on account of it being a fraction of the price.

Normal chalk is a rather big disappointment though. Relative to liquid chalk it doesn't seem to stay on my hands for more than a few minutes :(

any suggestion for ways to make it stay on the hands longer? Maybe I'm not just applying enough.

My understanding is that liquid chalk is actually an antiperspirant, so it doesn't need to be reapplied very often. Normal chalk just drys your hands, so you will need to re-chalk regularly if you are sweating a lot.

Maybe regular antiperspirant sticks or spray would work as a cheaper alternative to liquid chalk?
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby ninearms » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:05 pm

Liquid chalk is magnesium carbonate in alcohol plus a thickener.

Best way to get regular chalk to stay on your hands is to use liquid chalk first...
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Lordmuppet » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:32 pm

ninearms wrote:Liquid chalk is magnesium carbonate in alcohol plus a thickener.

Best way to get regular chalk to stay on your hands is to use liquid chalk first...

thanks I'll give that a shot!
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements