Work Out tweak

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Work Out tweak

Postby blinki » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:22 pm

I'm going to properly start a new plan in the next week or two. It's based on more or less full body work outs with exercises done in twos so I'm working antagonistic muscle groups with the two exercises, one after the other then repeat. I've hit a problem with military press/pull up. The way my gym is designed I need to go down into the basement to do military presses then to the first floor at the other side of the building to do pull ups. So it's not at all practical especially since I'm doing a lot of sets. So I either just do one exercise, all sets, then the other which will take almost twice as long because of extra rest time. Or I do it in the machine's room where I can use the shoulder press machine. Or I replace pull up with something I can do in the weights room- but what?

What do you guys reckon would be the best choice?
blinki

Re: Work Out tweak

Postby baldy » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:36 pm

Sounds a very complex routine, I think doing all the military presses and then do the pullups will be fine. How many sets are you doing?

Are you going to start a training log so we can see you progress?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby blinki » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:56 pm

Thanks for the reply

I hope it's not that complex, I picked it from the beginner/intermediate list here and it was simple enough for me to understand without looking anything up. I'm going for high volume so 8-10 sets on most things. Not sure of rep goals yet because I've still got to do a wee bit working out on that. But I've been doing 3 sets at 8-10 reps for a while now and seem to have stopped gaining weight, I assume part of that is I'm past beginners gains and part needing to switch things up. I'm going to keep a log for myself to reduce faffing around so I might post it here, might help my motivation if I do
blinki

Postby thestoatyone » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:32 pm

Main reason I can see for supersets is to save time, so it might take a bit longer, but you won't be missing out by doing all the chin-up sets before starting on the press.
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby blinki » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:52 pm

thanks. If that's the main reason for it then I'll just make sure to leave more time in my day for the gym
blinki

Postby bronco » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:33 pm

8-10 sets on each exercise sounds like overkill to me, unless they are singles or doubles. How many exercises do you do each session and which?
JP wrote:Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby blinki » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:15 am

I'll be starting at 2 or 3 reps then upping the weight when I get to 5. Just now it's looking likely to be
bench press & row
military press, pull up, sit up & leg raises
squat, stiff leg deadlift & calf raises
blinki

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights