6 meals a day - difference?

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

6 meals a day - difference?

Postby muchluv » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:09 pm

Most bodybuilding websites say you should eat 6 meals a day. Has anyone here just eaten 3 a day, then switched to 6 and seen a big difference? Thanks
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor
 
Posts: 522
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: 6 meals a day - difference?

Postby Talyn » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:29 pm

Meal frequency is irrelevant.

You can eat one meal a day or three or six or nine, it makes no difference. It's the total calories you take in that matters.

Do what is most convenient for you.
User avatar
Talyn
User Activation Admin
 
Posts: 3529
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 12:21 pm
Location: Brentwood, UK

Re: 6 meals a day - difference?

Postby JP » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:13 pm

6 sounds low :D

Difficult to put away big amount of calories with just few meals...
User avatar
JP
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19228
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:14 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: 6 meals a day - difference?

Postby baldy » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:20 pm

Talyn wrote:Meal frequency is irrelevant.

You can eat one meal a day or three or six or nine, it makes no difference. It's the total calories you take in that matters.

Do what is most convenient for you.


It's way easier to eat 6 meals than 3 huge meals, do what you can.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
User avatar
baldy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7261
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 10:23 am
Location: St Albans UK

Re: 6 meals a day - difference?

Postby vegansludge » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:47 pm

Talyn wrote:Meal frequency is irrelevant.

You can eat one meal a day or three or six or nine, it makes no difference. It's the total calories you take in that matters.

Do what is most convenient for you.


Yep. If you're interested in reading more, I'd recommend checking out the Leangains site and the information about Intermittent Fasting there - some people find it easier to woof down two huge meals, some find six smaller ones better. The former seems to help staunch "cravings" if you're on a cut whereas the later makes taking in a surplus seem easier since it's not as daunting to try and throw back 1-2,000 calories per meal.
User avatar
vegansludge
Member
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 am

Re: 6 meals a day - difference?

Postby Talyn » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:21 pm

vegansludge wrote:Yep. If you're interested in reading more, I'd recommend checking out the Leangains site and the information about Intermittent Fasting there - some people find it easier to woof down two huge meals, some find six smaller ones better. The former seems to help staunch "cravings" if you're on a cut whereas the later makes taking in a surplus seem easier since it's not as daunting to try and throw back 1-2,000 calories per meal.


I do this currently. Most weekdays I fast for the working day, usually just having some fruit, then eat when I get home. There is nothing better than sitting down to a big 2000 calorie meal(s) in one go when cutting.

It is simply personal preference, but so many people believe you *have* to eat frequently all day, which is incorrect.
User avatar
Talyn
User Activation Admin
 
Posts: 3529
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 12:21 pm
Location: Brentwood, UK

Re: 6 meals a day - difference?

Postby chewybaws » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:36 pm

I'm preferring more smaller meals at the moment, doing me wonders for digestion.
was there a time we weren't at war; when we knew what our hearts and hands were for?
User avatar
chewybaws
Active Member
 
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:03 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: 6 meals a day - difference?

Postby vegansludge » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:26 am

Talyn wrote:
vegansludge wrote:Yep. If you're interested in reading more, I'd recommend checking out the Leangains site and the information about Intermittent Fasting there - some people find it easier to woof down two huge meals, some find six smaller ones better. The former seems to help staunch "cravings" if you're on a cut whereas the later makes taking in a surplus seem easier since it's not as daunting to try and throw back 1-2,000 calories per meal.


I do this currently. Most weekdays I fast for the working day, usually just having some fruit, then eat when I get home. There is nothing better than sitting down to a big 2000 calorie meal(s) in one go when cutting.

It is simply personal preference, but so many people believe you *have* to eat frequently all day, which is incorrect.


Yeah, I was doing IF for five weeks but now my schedule's so up in the air I don't know when my next meal will come and bringing it with has proved to be a pain so I'm back to the 4-6 smaller ones during the day. I don't mind as much currently since I decided I really need to put on mass before I actually try and cut. I'm hoping to get back to IF by January when I'll, hopefully, have a full-time job with a set-schedule so I can start cutting before spring. I do miss those huge 800+ calorie meals.
User avatar
vegansludge
Member
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 am

Re: 6 meals a day - difference?

Postby JP » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:11 am

hey how much of a break has there to be for the meals to count as two instead of one?

because if we are talking about 15-30 mins being ok then i think i do about 9 meals a day, give or take a few...
User avatar
JP
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19228
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:14 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: 6 meals a day - difference?

Postby xJimx » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:53 am

I generally have 7 meals per day, although a couple of these 'meals' will just be a big pile of nuts & some fruit etc.
DYEL
xJimx
Active Member
 
Posts: 2775
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:51 pm
Location: Derby, UK

Re: 6 meals a day - difference?

Postby thestoatyone » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:12 pm

The difference between 6 smaller meals and 2-3 bigger ones? Less washing up I guess...
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
User avatar
thestoatyone
Active Member
 
Posts: 3392
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:39 pm
Location: West Midlands; UK

Re: 6 meals a day - difference?

Postby muchluv » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:32 pm

Thanks for the replies people!

I thught the idea of eating 6 was that your muscles get protein constantly throughout the day to repair?
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor
 
Posts: 522
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: 6 meals a day - difference?

Postby thestoatyone » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:50 pm

Your body re digests 200g of protein a day from stomach cells breaking down enzymes being re-absorbed etc, so you don't really need to worry about the when, as long as you are getting enough overall. Incidentally, that's also why the amino-acid balance of each meal doesn't need to be perfect; the stuff you are re-absorbing will be a perfect blend of the amino acids your body needs, so as long as you keep the stores stocked up you'll be fine.
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
User avatar
thestoatyone
Active Member
 
Posts: 3392
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:39 pm
Location: West Midlands; UK

Re: 6 meals a day - difference?

Postby Talyn » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:10 pm

muchluv wrote:Thanks for the replies people!

I thught the idea of eating 6 was that your muscles get protein constantly throughout the day to repair?


No, and what stoaty said.

Your muscles 'repair' over 48-72 hours after you train, so eating on a regular basis is not necessary or beneficial in any way. As long as you're getting enough in each day it doesn't matter how you do it. Do what you find easiest and most convenient.
User avatar
Talyn
User Activation Admin
 
Posts: 3529
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 12:21 pm
Location: Brentwood, UK

Re: 6 meals a day - difference?

Postby Billy-Reno » Fri May 04, 2012 3:53 am

I started intermittent fasting about 3 months ago on the 27 hour fast, twice a week sched. I LOVE it! I've worked out in the 25th hour and had a lot of energy, strength and stamina and felt great. I feel lighter and, oddly, clearer, thinking-wise, and I was at first surprised at my high energy levels while on the fast. I've lost the ten pounds I wanted and when I get down to my ultimate goal of 155 I might fast just once a week to help maintain my desired weight. But I love the feeling and I understand from reading Wikipedia there are excellent health benefits.
User avatar
Billy-Reno
New Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:05 pm
Location: Reno, NV

Next

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest