Pushup Challenge

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Pushup Challenge

Postby baldy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:24 am

Darcy wrote:Okay so I have a question I've always wondered about. For some people, chest to floor will be a 90 degree bend in the arms - for others, it will be beyond that. Does this rule still hold for everyone?

So I have really long, gangly arms and end up looking a bit like a chicken when I go down to the floor (only way I can describe it!) is this still good? Also it is virtually impossible but this might be due to strength not form ;-) Different people tell me different things: tennis ball vs. angle.

Then I might get in on the table!

At the end of the day let your conscience be your guide. If you look at vegan hal's video he goes very deep and I would say they are optimal.
In most exercises you want to get as full a range of motion as possible without causing injury.

Reposted vegan hal's video because you cant have enough videos of vegans doing pushups wearing sleeveless tshirts.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby soniczip » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:28 am

soniczip wrote:hey, i just saw this ... put me in the list at 40 pleeeaze! :D

baldy, herm ... why did you put me down at 30? :evil: :wink:
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby baldy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:33 am

soniczip wrote:

Congratulations, you just moved 10 places up the table :wink:. Honestly, sometimes I wonder how I manager to hold down a job working with computers.
40 is really good, maybe secretly I was hoping you wouldn't notice so that you didn't over take me any time soon?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby soniczip » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:39 am

baldy wrote:
soniczip wrote:

Congratulations, you just moved 10 places up the table :wink:. Honestly, sometimes I wonder how I manager to hold down a job working with computers.
40 is really good, maybe secretly I was hoping you wouldn't notice so that you didn't over take me any time soon?

i was secretly thinking about it, but you took the words right out of my mouth :lol:

soniczip

Postby baldy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:48 am

soniczip wrote:i was secretly thinking about it, but you took the words right out of my mouth :lol:

You and vegan hal will feel my wrath! Or I may simply add a bodyweight and Sinclair points column to the table.
However add columns maybe harder work than simply doing 46 pushups, how hard can it be?
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Asleep on a sunbeam » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:39 pm

I recently changed my hand position, instead of being inline with my shoulders they're now inline with my nipples.
I'm not sure if it works muscles harder or simply works different muscles, but it's a hell of a lot more challenging. If anyone knows why, what's better for what etc. etc. please let me know.
BOOYAH!
Asleep on a sunbeam

Postby Talyn » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:06 pm

Asleep on a sunbeam wrote:I recently changed my hand position, instead of being inline with my shoulders they're now inline with my nipples.
I'm not sure if it works muscles harder or simply works different muscles, but it's a hell of a lot more challenging. If anyone knows why, what's better for what etc. etc. please let me know.

Yeah with a wide spread you use your lats and chest more. The closer your spread, the more it hits your triceps and arms. Arm muscle < Chest/Back muscle, hence it's harder.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby Asleep on a sunbeam » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:15 pm

Talyn wrote:
Asleep on a sunbeam wrote:I recently changed my hand position, instead of being inline with my shoulders they're now inline with my nipples.

Yeah with a wide spread you use your lats and chest more. The closer your spread, the more it hits your triceps and arms. Arm muscle < Chest/Back muscle, hence it's harder.

Sorry I should have been more specific, I mean that my arms are still as widespread as my shoulders[edit: well a little wider than my shoulders], but they're lower down my body (next to my nipples) as opposed to being directly under my shoulders.
BOOYAH!
Asleep on a sunbeam

Postby _Andreas_ » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:26 pm

First try 30
That will increase soon :twisted:
_Andreas_

Postby soniczip » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:22 pm

41 ... i also have it in my new camera, but i'm still trying to edit the video. i'll post it over the next few days.

edit: there you go. the last one is a bit wobbly, eh eh eh

soniczip

Postby sergio » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:50 pm

This thread made me remember this: http://hundredpushups.com/ Not sure if it's a good plan or not; maybe is useful for someone.

I made 22 this morning after a bike ride. The cool thing is that a few months ago I wouldn't do 4.
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.

Distantes ellos observan muertos y mudos
nuestras acciones, con aquel desprecio
sergio

Postby baldy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:30 pm

table updated, 50 people on the list, which is very cool.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby dublin dave » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:05 pm

Put me down for 26. Done on 20 Dec 2011...
dublin dave

Postby baldy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:27 pm

dublin dave wrote:Put me down for 26. Done on 20 Dec 2011...

good start and good form!
baldy
Site Admin

Postby vegan hal » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:56 pm

well done Dublin Dave.
Sonic ZIP I must've missed it before, but hell yeah! banging out 41 to ZEKE!! love that band.
vegan hal

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness