just out of interest-low carb

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

just out of interest-low carb

Postby morg » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:03 am

As title says, just out of interest, does anybody here on the forums try to follow a low carbohydrate vegan diet?
If so why, and how do you find it?
LOVE PUNK ROCK-hate racism
hate homophobia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFOBdoWL ... PL&index=2
morg

Re: just out of interest-low carb

Postby JO » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:18 am

As a matter of fact, I have tried this and it is awful if you need to get stuff done. Try one low-sugar high-carb meal per day eg hummous plate or rice/bean burrito from chipotle w/guacamole. The rest of your meals can be predominantly fat/protein (eg soy milk and good raw nuts) or very high quality salads or cooked green-based meals.

One good recommendation I have seen is 30 g protein in legume/lentil format plus a heap of cookable greens, garnished after ccooking with beneficial raw nuts
Kinetic-corporeal joy is known to ALL creatures.
JO

Postby Talyn » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:47 am

I tried it.

But it's not necessary at all.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby baldy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:58 am

How low is low carb, because things like soya milk and beans have a fair share of carbs in them.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby vegimator » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:48 pm

Talk to Devil's Plaything. Here's his vegan version of the Anabolic Diet (very low carb, ketogenic 6 days a week):

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... ng-t24.htm
vegimator

Postby vegansludge » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:31 pm

I've tried doing low carbohydrates during a cut and the only thing it really did for me was make me extremely irritable and sluggish. Even the re-feed day didn't do much for me as I was fine the first half of the week after but, by the end of it, I was back to being a mini-Hulk with my mood swings.

After six weeks, I switched to carb-cycling (low fat/high protein/high carbs on lift days; moderate fat/high protein/low carb on off days and a re-feed day once a week) and found that's the best route for me in terms of seeing results and not having intense mood swings/energy crashes.
vegansludge

Postby Mufflon » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:10 pm

Low carb is definitely not for me as is low fat. I seem to feel best with a moderately high protein amount, not too much fat and a moderate amount of carbs.
Mufflon

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating