Hemp Protein

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Hemp Protein

Postby trailrunner » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:55 pm

With powders, you really do need to just experiment until you find one that works for your palate. I used to use a Living Harvest hemp protein that was pretty neutral - but like the others above, I found that while I could eat whole hemp seeds without issue, the isolated protein didn't sit too well in my stomach.

I just use the seeds now - and in soups in particular, they work really well. Is is true that you'll need to pop the broth+seed part of the soup in a blender to emulsify it, but that takes just a second - and you are good to go.

From a nutrition standpoint, I think there is something to think about with regards to isolates - regardless of the source. They have their place - for sure - but if you can avoid the processing and go straight to the actual food - my own feeling is that I get more of the total nutrition and fats than *just* the protein hit. (but I'm also not a strength/body builder dude :^)

(and full disclosure - "I don't always use powders, but when I do, I prefer Vega Natural." )

So start tasting - you'll find one that works for you.

TR
http://www.vegantrailrunning.com
trailrunner

Postby Mufflon » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:22 pm

I got my hands on a very smooth pea protein. It mixes well but pea protein alone has a kind of weird taste. I mix it with soy. Hemp powder alone is also vile. Rice is too grainy for my taste.

I have a soy powder that mixes well with water and tastes good but I don't consume much soy besides the powder.
Mufflon

Postby vegansludge » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:15 am

I don't know if I could ever do a straight hemp protein powder. I have a hard enough time with just throwing 4 tablespoons of Manitoba's Hemp 50 into my shakes - the texture slays me.
vegansludge

Postby Mufflon » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:52 am

I think the texture is just like sand. The only smooth plant proteins I ever came across are pea and soy.
Mufflon

Postby powerlifer » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:04 pm

Sunwarrior raw protein which is sprouted brown rice protein, has a great amino acid profile and is smooth and tasteless.

Im actually getting back into hemp protein bought a small tub the other week, it is easiest if you just add it to water in my opinion. 2 Tablespoons per normal thin glass, takes abit to mix but is easy enough to chug back and just tastes like milled hemp seeds.

I use it for my last shake of the day about an hour or so before bed. Im lucky to have ample access to different vegan protein powders at the moment, have blown my money on them lol. Take vega wholefood optimizer or sports protein in the morning, sunwarrior raw protein post workout and hemp protein later in the day. Sometimes i will give myself a treat with soy protein lol which is probably the nicest of them all. But i get so much soy in my diet i tend to rely on the others.

I have raw meal and raw protein by Garden Of Life now to test which ive heard are great vegan protein supplements. Haven't got around to trying either yet.
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Postby Mufflon » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:34 am

I'd like to try sunwarrior protein but it's 50 Euro a package. Totally overpriced even if it's raw, organic and whatsoever.
Mufflon

Postby powerlifer » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:14 pm

Mufflon wrote:I'd like to try sunwarrior protein but it's 50 Euro a package. Totally overpriced even if it's raw, organic and whatsoever.

Yeah it is expensive sadly and i do consider it a luxury at the moment.
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Postby vegansludge » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:48 pm

I've been using Harmonized Vegan Protein from Progressive Nutritional Therapies. Rice, hemp, pea, chia and cranberry proteins and a great nutritional breakdown for a decent price (around me it's $44 for 840gs).

I'd really be interested in trying out Sunwarrior but I can't find it around where I live.
vegansludge

Postby Lordmuppet » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:58 pm

vegansludge wrote:I've been using Harmonized Vegan Protein from Progressive Nutritional Therapies. Rice, hemp, pea, chia and cranberry proteins and a great nutritional breakdown for a decent price (around me it's $44 for 840gs).

I'd really be interested in trying out Sunwarrior but I can't find it around where I live.

www.trueprotein.com

you can make your own mixtures of stuff (they don't have chia and cranberry but you can prepare that separately if you want with a grinder) and it will cost about a fifth of what you are paying just now if you get decent bulk (i buy a year at a time).
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby vegansludge » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:12 am

Lordmuppet wrote:
vegansludge wrote:I've been using Harmonized Vegan Protein from Progressive Nutritional Therapies. Rice, hemp, pea, chia and cranberry proteins and a great nutritional breakdown for a decent price (around me it's $44 for 840gs).

http://www.trueprotein.com

you can make your own mixtures of stuff (they don't have chia and cranberry but you can prepare that separately if you want with a grinder) and it will cost about a fifth of what you are paying just now if you get decent bulk (i buy a year at a time).

This just changed my life, especially since all of the flavor packs are vegan friendly. Thank you.
vegansludge

Postby Lordmuppet » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:33 am

vegansludge wrote:
Lordmuppet wrote:

http://www.trueprotein.com

This just changed my life, especially since all of the flavor packs are vegan friendly. Thank you.

happy to be useful :)
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby bigfootmarty » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:43 pm

HEMP protein has been my favorite protein supplements in my 30 odd years of using supplements. Even then I alternate my supplement between hemp and Pea and Rice and often combine.
Marty

Vegan Runner, Backpacker, gardener and Foodie- Former Football player- 6'8 290# , size 17 shoes.....

Vegan for 7-8 years
bigfootmarty

Previous

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements