Hemp Protein

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Hemp Protein

Postby ross88guy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:38 pm

I am training for the UK IronMan triathlon this year and so have been taking protein to help with my recovery after some training sessions.

I recently received two large tubs of Hemp Protein as a free sample and stated taking it yesterday. It doesn't taste that bad but my stomach was churning the day afterwards.

Has anyone had a similar problem or is it just that me and Hemp don't get on!?

Goals:
Uk IronMan
Sub 39min 10k Run
Blog - Trance 10 Review
ross88guy

Re: Hemp Protein

Postby gaz » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:51 pm

Same thing happened to me Ross. I'm fine with hemp seeds but when I've tried hemp protein powder I always have to stop using it after a few days because of the unbearable bloating.
gaz

Postby Goob » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:35 pm

It works the opposite with me. Hemp protein is one of the few that doesn't cause me any intestinal problems.

My guess is that it is a fiber issue. All of the hemp proteins I've seen are just ground hemp seeds. That means lots and lots of extra fiber which can cause some intestinal discomfort. The hemp protein powder that I like has sifted out the shell bits to reduce the fiber content and it never causes me any problems.

It's my understanding that hemp protein is fairly quickly digested, so if it was an allergy or intolerance related issue it would show up within hours of consuming hemp rather the next day or after a few days of taking it.
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby joelk » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:25 am

I had similar issues with hemp protein on it's own. I started mixing it with some pea protein which alleviated the problems. I mixed it at a ratio of approximately 70:30 pea to hemp before I really noticed a positive difference. I agree with Goob about the fibre being the issue and the powder I had was quite coarse so that probably didn't help.
joelk

Postby baldy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:07 pm

Suddenly hemp protein isn't that expensive £17.99 a kilo -> http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/product.ph ... mp_protein

I know its pretty low in protein only 48% but that doesn't bother me as I normally add carbs and fat to my shakes anyway. Anyone got any experience?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby powerlifer » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:11 pm

Per serving its around 13-14g of protein if i remember which is pretty decent in my opinion plus the balanced ratios of good fats.

Im a big fan of hemp protein from a nutritional point of view but it tastes like ****, so it puts me off using it anymore. I can no longer chug it over without being sick.
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Postby JP » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:17 pm

i just add a bit to my pea protein/soya milk shake

its awesome!

then again, i use the good hemps strawberry or vanilla flavoured one...
JP
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:31 pm

JP wrote:i just add a bit to my pea protein/soya milk shake

its awesome!

Yeah and pea protein is ridiculously cheap from bulk powders.

powerlifer wrote:Im a big fan of hemp protein from a nutritional point of view but it tastes like ****, so it puts me off using it anymore. I can no longer chug it over without being sick.

Is it as bad as rice protein or do you just need to HTFU?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby powerlifer » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:49 pm

baldy wrote:
JP wrote:i just add a bit to my pea protein/soya milk shake

its awesome!

Yeah and pea protein is ridiculously cheap from bulk powders.

powerlifer wrote:Im a big fan of hemp protein from a nutritional point of view but it tastes like ****, so it puts me off using it anymore. I can no longer chug it over without being sick.

Is it as bad as rice protein or do you just need to HTFU?

Its been so long since ive had rice protein but i can say for the amount of powder you need it is very grainy and rank lol.

Although i do have a weak stomach when it comes to drinking large amounts of horrible tasting foods/powders.
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Postby baldy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:44 pm

powerlifer wrote:Its been so long since ive had rice protein but i can say for the amount of powder you need it is very grainy and rank lol.

Although i do have a weak stomach when it comes to drinking large amounts of horrible tasting foods/powders.

Sounds risky, stuck with what I know and got the pea protein and some tasty vanilla soya.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby muchluv » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:36 am

Good do it the cheapest ive seen, 40 pounds for 2.5kg. Flavoured option[s?] available.
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby Lordmuppet » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:32 am

muchluv wrote:Good do it the cheapest ive seen, 40 pounds for 2.5kg. Flavoured option[s?] available.

like Baldy said its only 35 pounds for 2.5kg from bulkpowders.co.uk though it isn't organic if that's important to you (isn't to me).
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby muchluv » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:27 pm

I didnt click on the link so didnt realise there was the option for 2.5. Good do strawberry flavour though which is more palatable imho
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby BTC2 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:30 pm

Just a quick question on what you guys think of the flavour of hemp protein powder? I'm reluctant to buy soya protein as I don't want to develop an intolerance towards it and I consume a lot of soy already, but rice protein is disgusting when just mixed with water (and I've yet to find it palatable mixed with anything else) and pea protein is even worse. I want to be able to drink "pure" shakes in 20 seconds without wanting to vomit and would also like to include it in cooking like soups but I'm worried it's going to taste like grass?
BTC2

Postby baldy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:38 pm

BTC2 wrote:Just a quick question on what you guys think of the flavour of hemp protein powder? I'm reluctant to buy soya protein as I don't want to develop an intolerance towards it and I consume a lot of soy already, but rice protein is disgusting when just mixed with water (and I've yet to find it palatable mixed with anything else) and pea protein is even worse. I want to be able to drink "pure" shakes in 20 seconds without wanting to vomit and would also like to include it in cooking like soups but I'm worried it's going to taste like grass?

All depends on the brand, the hemp protein JP uses is very tasty.
Rice protein is always disgusting.
Pea protein varies from batch to batch and between suppliers. The last batch I had from myprotein.co.uk was pretty neutral flavour and not to grainy but the batch I just got from bulkpowders.co.uk has pretty distinct taste and course texture, still consumable.
baldy
Site Admin

Next

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements