4th Annual NH's Strongest Man & What's Really Pissing Me Off

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

4th Annual NH's Strongest Man & What's Really Pissing Me Off

Postby Chris Vaughn » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:38 pm

I got 5th. If you're interested, here's the video:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/w6qRKoahiN4[/youtube] <--I don't know how that works, so
http://youtu.be/w6qRKoahiN4

I haven't cared about placing in a long time. I just put it up in case people were wondering. The reason I stopped caring is because I don't have the same fire I did ten years ago. Back then, I would've pushed myself to and beyond injury (and I have a shelf full of trophies and a body full of injuries to prove it). Now, I see these things as glorified training days where I hang out with friends and lift heavy shit.

Of course, people are telling me that I'm not placing in every competition anymore because, you guessed it, I'm vegan. I even got this from somebody when I asked why he kept saying that:

In order to build muscle optimally and for the body to build any tissues to the best of it's abilities you need to have an abundant amount of protein in your diet that includes a full amino acid profile. Every tissue in your body is made up of proteins, which break down into amino acids. Every animal has different ratio's of amino acids in their muscle and tissues, but all animals (humans included) have the same set of amino acids that make up their tissues. Plants also contain amino acids, and some of them are the same as animals, but you can only get the complete set of amino acids that you need from another animal. Animals that are herbivores have a different type of digestive tract that allows them to break down cellulose (plant protein) into the amino acids that they need. However the human digestive tract can only digest a very small amount of cellulose, and the vast majority of it is expelled as waste as insoluble fiber. This is why carnivores eat a much lower volume of food than herbivores, because the food they are eating has already been processed by another animal into a more efficient energy and nutrient source.

Okay; I need to say a few things about this:

1) I agree with almost all of it. He's right.
2) Isn't it possible to eat a broad plant-based diet to get all the aminos?
3) Most importantly, seriously? Like, really? Another animal is living its life, and because it's able to more efficiently digest plant foods than me, I'm supposed to support its death so that I can excel in a recreational sport?

the food they are eating has already been processed by another animal into a more efficient energy and nutrient source.

That makes me sick. It's not for survival or something justifiable; it's to lift heavy things faster than other people. That is so pathetic that it makes me want to puke.

My performance HAS partially dropped off because I went vegan, but you know what? I'm perfectly fine with that. Nobody gets dehorned, castrated, debeaked, etc. and/or dies to make sure I win plastic trophies put together in sweat shops.

I wonder if any of you have been through anything like this.

Also, last night I had to handle sausage to put it away. It was cooked. I used to LOVE sausage. I realized that it was just the spices (plants) and such that made it good. I touched meat for the first time in months last night and I wanted to vomit. That certainly is new!
Chris Vaughn

Re: 4th Annual NH's Strongest Man & What's Really Pissing Me

Postby vegan hal » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:51 pm

hey man. besides the fact that we vegans may need to eat a little more volume, I think everything else can be debunked. but I'll let the more knowledgeable folks here do that.

But it's just the typical meat-head mentality. you have the right idea. stick to it and fuck them. rarely, but from time to time I get similar questioning from the meat-heads and I just don;t even think twice about my decision. I've been vegan for a long time and no one will change my mind.

keep at it and prove them all wrong!

love the tire flip!
vegan hal

Postby Mellos » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:28 am

Nice vid!

About that veganism and performance thing:
A lot of vegan guys told me that their performance improved when going vegan.
I didn´t notice any change but I was vegan almost from the beginning of my training.
The strongest man of Germany (vegetarian) will try to go vegan by the end of the year. If he doesn´t fail I´d say: case closed 8)

Anyway, great comp and one question:
NH = New Hampshire?
Current PBs:
195 kg SQ, 130 kg Bench, 245 kg DL, 200 kg SQ w/ wraps

Long Term Goals:
@ 75 kg: SQ - 252,5 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 267,5 kg, DL - 307,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 710
@ 82,5 kg: SQ - 275 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 277,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 772,5 kg

Team Insanity - The Laws of Physics are Merely a Suggestion
Mellos

Postby Chris Vaughn » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:45 am

vegan hal wrote:hey man. besides the fact that we vegans may need to eat a little more volume, I think everything else can be debunked. but I'll let the more knowledgeable folks here do that.

But it's just the typical meat-head mentality. you have the right idea. stick to it and fuck them. rarely, but from time to time I get similar questioning from the meat-heads and I just don;t even think twice about my decision. I've been vegan for a long time and no one will change my mind.

keep at it and prove them all wrong!

love the tire flip!

I've lost the drive to win, unfortunately. The vegan lifestyle found me way too late to really make a statement, you know? I've been competing for about a decade and vegan only since this year.
Chris Vaughn

Postby Chris Vaughn » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:48 am

Mellos wrote:Nice vid!

About that veganism and performance thing:
A lot of vegan guys told me that their performance improved when going vegan.
I didn´t notice any change but I was vegan almost from the beginning of my training.
The strongest man of Germany (vegetarian) will try to go vegan by the end of the year. If he doesn´t fail I´d say: case closed 8)

Anyway, great comp and one question:
NH = New Hampshire?

Yes; NH = New Hampshire.

I think I communicated poorly in my original post. I've lost a lot of fat and gained endurance, strength, etc. The only problem I have now is no fire. I'm an old athlete, you know? At my age, athletes in pro sports are beginning to retire. All the aches, pains...

Still, the whole thing about waiting until an animal digests food and then eating it really makes me angry.
Chris Vaughn

Postby Mellos » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:03 am

Nah, I totally understood you about the gone drive, just wanted to say that most who go vegan while still competing and wanting to go for more do so quite successfully ;)
Current PBs:
195 kg SQ, 130 kg Bench, 245 kg DL, 200 kg SQ w/ wraps

Long Term Goals:
@ 75 kg: SQ - 252,5 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 267,5 kg, DL - 307,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 710
@ 82,5 kg: SQ - 275 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 277,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 772,5 kg

Team Insanity - The Laws of Physics are Merely a Suggestion
Mellos

Postby vegimator » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:40 am

This guy's an idiot. Cellulose isn't protein. It's fiber. We don't get calories when we eat it, but it is good for us. It lowers bad cholesterol and is anticarcenogenic.

Introduce this guy to soy protein. It has the same PDCAAS as milk and no cellulose.
vegimator

Postby JP » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:34 am

mate, life is too short to get pissed off by comments like that :)

I dont get many of them at all - performance speaks for itself. Sometimes someone might ask do i think i could do better if i wasnt vegan and i just say no i think i would suck even more.

But if i do, i dont take them too seriously - especially in an online environment. because the guy who makes the comment is just one person - but people reading your response could be dozens, so its actually the nature of the reply which matters the most.

And for every naysayer there are several people genuinely interested, so better to just focus on them, rather than the pricks.

but then i will call your bullshit :D

WHAT THE FUCK!

if you enter a comp, i bet you go all out. No matter if you dress it up as what ever, if you are there, you give it your all, its evident from the vid too. My next comp is this saturday, cheshires strongest man 105kg, and i treat it as a training session but i will still give it 100%! :D

Good performance though man. The comp looks like a cardiofest though, weights were too light dont you think?
JP
Site Admin

Return to Power and Strength