Anyone tried Vega?

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby JuicyJ » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:50 pm

I am sorry. I missed this thread or I would have responded sooner
I got the information about Vega off their site

Here is a link which answers the question as to whether Vega nutrition is "raw"

http://www.vegacommunity.com/profiles/b ... ega-health

The bars are raw however.They are called "raw energy protein bars" and are described as raw on the Vega/Sequel site
JuicyJ

Postby BlueRose » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:48 pm

BTW the new "go" button is confusing as hell. I didn't know you could use it to just reply....

I just tried Vega in the vanilla chai flavor. I really like it! And it makes for another very good and healthy breakfast for me.

Anyone have any tips on getting it to mix more thoroughly with water? There's always powder at the bottom no matter what I do....
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421637141388613/

Doing Les Mills Combat and loving it!
http://www.TeaAddictedGeek.com
BlueRose

Re: Anyone tried Vega?

Postby Superman » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:56 pm

Did anyone else notice that there's way too much potassium in this? I'm afraid to take more than two scoops in a day in fear that I may risk overdosing in potassium. 1500mg per serving of potasium, which is 40% of your daily intake of potassium. two is over 80% your daily intake. Overdosing potassium is very, very high risk and unhealthy
Superman

Postby Gastroplodder » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:27 am

Superman wrote:Did anyone else notice that there's way too much potassium in this? I'm afraid to take more than two scoops in a day in fear that I may risk overdosing in potassium. 1500mg per serving of potasium, which is 40% of your daily intake of potassium. two is over 80% your daily intake. Overdosing potassium is very, very high risk and unhealthy

I don't think you need to start worrying about potassium overdose on this sort of quantity. Most people don't get near the RDA of 3,500mg and deficiency is more likely to be a problem, particularly in sweaty sports people, than overdose.

Here is what the UK NHS has to say (though before anyone says yes I agree they talk a lot of b***clks on many health issues):

"What does the Department of Health advise?

You should be able to get all the potassium you need by eating a varied and balanced diet. If you take potassium supplements, do not take too much because this could be harmful.

Taking 3,700mg or less of potassium supplements a day is unlikely to cause any harm.

However, older people may be more at risk of harm from potassium. This is because as we get older, our kidneys may become less able to remove potassium from our blood. Therefore, older people should not have potassium supplements unless advised to take them by a doctor."

Having recently won a tub of the Vega Sports protein supplement (Berry flavour) I'll give it the thumbs up partly on the basis that it goes down easily and tastes pretty good mixed with just water so I can take it on a daily basis without the usual I can't be bothered to make a smoothie to cover up the taste ritual that tends to scupper my usual attempts at a protein sup routine.

(edit - The Vega Sports protein supplements don't seem to list potassium at all.)
Probably the fastest vegan elf at Abingdon parkrun

http://gastroplodder.vegebear.com/blog
Gastroplodder

Postby fredrikw » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:01 am

I don't think anyone need to be worried about hyperkalemia from eating a bit more than the RDA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperkalemia
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Re:

Postby powerlifer » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:20 pm

BlueRose wrote:
I just tried Vega in the vanilla chai flavor. I really like it! And it makes for another very good and healthy breakfast for me.

Anyone have any tips on getting it to mix more thoroughly with water? There's always powder at the bottom no matter what I do....

The vanilla chai flavor is the best in my opinion, although i haven't had the others in a while. Tend to go through phases of using the same flavor.

Do you have a blender i find my vitamix mixes it easy enough.

Agree on the potassium.
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Postby chewybaws » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:55 pm

I started using the Sports Optimizer (lemon/lime) 4 workouts ago. Just a half serving, definitely notice a boost.
was there a time we weren't at war; when we knew what our hearts and hands were for?
chewybaws

Re: Re:

Postby Goob » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:32 pm

powerlifer wrote:
BlueRose wrote:

The vanilla chai flavor is the best in my opinion, although i haven't had the others in a while. Tend to go through phases of using the same flavor.

Do you have a blender i find my vitamix mixes it easy enough.

Agree on the potassium.

The only reason I like vega is that it mixes really well with water. I just put water in a blender and 2 scoops of vega then 3 seconds on the mix setting and it's completely dissolved. On occasion I've mixed it with a spoon and it worked fine as well. It's way too expensive though, and I only get it when it is on clearance.
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby etherspin » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:31 am

have they started using the non bitter stevia yet? I used to get the chai flavour,the maca paired with the stevia made a bit of a weird burnt metallic aftertaste but it was otherwise nice stuff
etherspin

Previous

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements