Cooking through Vegan with a Vengeance

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Cooking through Vegan with a Vengeance

Postby ninearms » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:18 pm

Bring me a pumpkin muffin to training tomorrow! :D
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby baldy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:29 pm

ninearms wrote:Bring me a pumpkin muffin to training tomorrow! :D

If any are left by then, about to eat my first couple now with a cup of tea.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:06 pm

Made Apple Crumble muffins on Saturday. I should have known by the large amounts of fruit involved that they wouldn't turn out that great.
They didn't rise as much as the pumpkin muffins and the topping was too runny. Eatable (I just finished the last 3) but not that great, give it 2 stars out of a possible 5.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:17 pm

Cooked up some seitan [pg 156], turned out ok. Texture was perfect but flavour wasn't as meaty as I had hoped.
Here is a picture of my lunch beef tomatoes, seitan slices and lots of mustard.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby KaliBaby » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:29 am

baldy wrote:
KaliBaby wrote:bake the best pumpkin muffins!!!!

done.

AAAaaahhhhh these look gorgeous! I used to bake these all the time, added blueberries every once in awhile or made a nice vanilla cinnamon frosting to go on top.
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby baldy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:27 pm

Made a lasagne over the weekend and followed the recipe for basil-tofu ricotta pg[133] as a filling. Was all right nothing to amazing.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:36 am

Busy evening in the kitchen last night. Starting to get fedup with the book being American, so many of the ingredients are a pain in the ass to get.

Chocolate chip cookies pg[189]. Had to substitute treacle for molasses. When it was all mixed it seemed a little too dry for me, anyway made 12 big fat cookies and they baked ok. Taste wise they are a little too salty, recipe has 1 tsp of salt which seems excessive or maybe my marg has more salt than normal in it.

For dinner I made the mushroom sauce pg[91] to go on pasta. First time I have cooked with arrow root powder. I added it to boiling water and it went into a ball of slime. Second go I mixed with cold water first and that worked grand. Sauce wasn't really good enough to go on pasta also tasted too salty, could be the stock I used.

To go with the pasta I made pesto pg[132], pesto is always great and this recipe is no different.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Had left overs for dinner and took a nice picture.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Rach » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:09 pm

The seitan looked good! Ah seitan... On a recent trip to London I made a beeline for Saf to enjoy the seitan kebabs I last tried there in 2009. They were on the website but no longer on the menu. I've considered the seitan recipe in Veganomicon but can't get hold of the 'vital wheat gluten' and curious where you sourced it from in UK.

It's not in their books but on their site: red lentil dhal and is fine!

http://www.theppk.com/2010/10/red-lentil-dahl/

I use a tin/carton chopped/plum toms
Rach

Postby baldy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:14 pm

Rach wrote:... I've considered the seitan recipe in Veganomicon but can't get hold of the 'vital wheat gluten' and curious where you sourced it from in UK.

I was lucky enough to be give the wheat gluten from Carin at VFW. Think Talyn and ninearms have a UK mail order source for it, hopefully they will reply.

Love dahl but have never cooked myself a decent one, so will defiantly try that recipe.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby laura76 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:02 am

I'm a big fan of the Green Goddess Garlic Pizza (p 136). I'm too lazy to make my own crust so I use a pre-made one. My other favorite so far is the spinach chickpea curry but I see that you've already made it. Good luck, I'll keep an eye on this thread!
laura76

Postby Talyn » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:47 am

baldy wrote:
Rach wrote:... I've considered the seitan recipe in Veganomicon but can't get hold of the 'vital wheat gluten' and curious where you sourced it from in UK.

I was lucky enough to be give the wheat gluten from Carin at VFW. Think Talyn and ninearms have a UK mail order source for it, hopefully they will reply.

Love dahl but have never cooked myself a decent one, so will defiantly try that recipe.

I do indeed. I get it from here. Cheap and easy.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby JS » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:52 am

baldy wrote: My sister made the Carrot-raisin muffins [pg53], they were a complete disaster, didn't cook properly, ended up just baked sticky carrot inside and crispy outside. Either medium carrots in UK are bigger than medium carrots in the US or something was up with the oven.

I cooked these on Sunday and they were tasty! Although I had them in the oven for 30 mins as opposed to the 18-22 mins and even then sticking a knife in them there was still a little sticky residue but I decided to take them out as 30 was well over the suggested time. They were a little sticky but by day 3 they were perfect :)

I used what I would class as two large carrots grated. I just wish I'd weighed them so I had an idea of how much I had added!
JS

Postby Darcy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:21 am

I'm so surprised by how uninspired you seem to be by this cook book. It's such a bible in the vegan world! I've never cooked from it though.
Darcy

Postby baldy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:37 am

Darcy wrote:I'm so surprised by how uninspired you seem to be by this cook book. It's such a bible in the vegan world! I've never cooked from it though.

Bibles are like that, inspiring until you actually read them :)
Don't get me wrong it is a great book, I think being in the UK it is extra challenging because we cant get all the ingredients as easily. Plus the food is a lot more "american" than I am used to. The whole point is to get my to try new things, so its all good.
baldy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements