What SPD shoes?

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

What SPD shoes?

Postby vCLaW » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:05 pm

I could do with some new cycling shoes.
Will be used for a bit of mountain biking, audax, commuting, touring, and general riding. So something that takes SPD 2-bolt cleats, and fairly stiff, but with a bit of grip and possible to walk in. And not leather obviously.

So what are you wearing, and what do you recommend?
I will go and check my local bikes shops and try some on, but it would good to have some makes/models to look for.
vCLaW

Re: What SPD shoes?

Postby bob_summers » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:41 pm

Spesh shoes have always been good for me, I've had models from all over the range and they've been good for the money.
Depends on how much walking you'll do though - the racier shoes are not so good for shouldering the bike over slippery rocks etc, not as good as flats anyway.

There's a new 'type' of shoe that's SPD compatible without looking too much like a cycling shoe. I like the idea for commuting - I wouldn't have to carry a pair in my bag - but they're maybe too heavy for your purposes.
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby fredrikw » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:03 pm

Aren't stiff and walkable a bit hard to combine? Often compromises is a matter of taking the worst of two worlds and combining them, ending up with something which isn't good at anything. Even if it involves double the cost, I'd consider getting two pairs.

I've always liked Sidi shoes myself, and I know Pearl Izumi has some synthetic models as well, Northwave has at least a couple of synthetic models. It's all a matter of finding a pair which suits your feet, one model might be perfect for one person and hopelessly uncomfortable for another.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Big Good Wolf » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:58 am

I wear Sidi Dominator shoes for commuting and racing.
I don't know if they're any better or worse than any other, they're just what was on offer in my LBS.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby GY Jon » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:17 pm

For more restricted budgets my current Pearl Izumi MTb shoes have lasted me around 6 years (£75ish then) of mostly road/commuting, my other shoes are Northwaves (including winter boots) and are also fully recommended. However the Pearls Izumis need replacing and my LBS is Spesh or Shimano, so Spesh it will be.
GY Jon

Postby ha » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:39 pm

I splurged and got some custom made XC shoes. I wont ever use road style shoes again with the functionality of XC shoes.

Ive race A grade road in em too. No hassles.

Love how long the cleats last too. I run XTR 970 pedals. Bullet proof after my Quad Ti egg beaters kept blowing out.
raw vegan banana case that has cycled over 190 000km cycled as a vegan.

y - youtube.com/durianriders
f - facebook.com/durianrider
t - twitter.com/durianryder
b - durianrider.org
w - 30bananasaday.com

Drink up, carb up, sleep up... cos everyday is the day to live it up!
ha

Return to Cycling Forum