Vegan machine never break...

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Vegan machine never break...

Postby xJimx » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:00 pm

wannalift wrote:My legs/hips are super sore today from the hockey game last night. Normally I would ride, but I know I am better off resting them for tomorrow's ride.

How do find the goaltending affects your hips generally? I've been told that my hip problem is congenital but I always wonder how much my 13 years of butterlyling had to do with it.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby wannalift » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:04 am

xJimx wrote:
wannalift wrote:My legs/hips are super sore today from the hockey game last night. Normally I would ride, but I know I am better off resting them for tomorrow's ride.

How do find the goaltending affects your hips generally? I've been told that my hip problem is congenital but I always wonder how much my 13 years of butterlyling had to do with it.

I should have been more specific as it was actually my hip flexors and groin that were sore. The butterfly can indeed damage your hips. My friend had career ending hip surgery at 24 as the butterfly accelerated arthritis in his hips. There has been a lot of research into this lately, see the attached link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/david_epstein/03/18/butterfly.hip.injuries/index.html
Are you doing enough to be the best?
wannalift

Postby wannalift » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:11 am

8/28/11:

Had to drop down on my 1-leg pressing. Left leg has been lagging and totally cramped up last session. I'll have to slowly work my way back up to my weight. Went for a 1.5 hour ride later in the evening.

8/29/11:

Good pull/chin up session at work. Went for a 1.5 hour ride and then went to the climbing wall at my university for my first climbing experience ever. Just did some bouldering, but it was very fun and challenging. Hoping to do this regularly.

8/30/11:

Hands and forearms are very sore from climbing the day before. Shoulder is a little sore too, but I did well on dips at work. Gym workout was a little concise as I had a meeting for Engineers Without Borders. Also started up classes again today. Should be quite a busy semester.
wannalift

Postby wannalift » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:33 pm

8/31/11:

Moved my leg/traps day to Wed to accommodate my school schedule. Stayed light on the 1-leg press. Finally got a good SLDL session in too. Nice work.

Championship game didn't go so well. We lost 7-3. Only half of the team was able to show up as it was a Wed game instead of our normal Thur game. We were just way over-matched. Sucks to lose that way because I really feel we would have won if we had our whole team. Well, onto next season.

9/1/11:

Pull/chin ups at work. No progress, but I at least maintained. Normally would ride after work, but my legs were very sore from the previous day and I really need to start taking more days off from mtn biking. Went climbing again and it was AWESOME! I did two different V-2's on the bouldering wall. Took me well over an hour to get the 2nd one, but I was persistent and made small, but steady progress until I made the last grab at the top. Pretty much love climbing now too. My physical activity schedule is about to get even more jammed, shrug.
wannalift

Postby wannalift » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:40 am

9/2/11:

Went up in weight on dips. Up slightly at the gym. Had to change overhead pressing exercise, so I stayed light there. Did some extra tricep work at home.

9/3/11:

2.5 hour suffer-fest ride through the heat this morning. Humidity and heat made for some record-breaking real feel temperature. Rode up a 300'+ hill halfway through and I was the only one in the group who made it all the way without stopping. Ride totally killed me for the rest of the day.

9/4/11:

Finally got my hang pulls back in the mix. Still light (regenerate mode) on 1-leg press. Ate a huge buffet. Thought I was going to climb, but the wall was closed for the weekend, DANG. Ended up going to the university gym and did some heavy leg press (600+) for reps and some back work. Went home and used my newly acquired Rock Rings to practice some holds. Did some additional grip work too. Ended up with a solid day of training. Hoping to get a long ride in if the weather breaks tomorrow.
wannalift

Postby wannalift » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:09 am

9/5/11:

Total rest day. Forgot what those were like. Was supposed to go on a nice ride, but it rained ALL DAY. I even took a nap later in the afternoon to boot.

9/6/11:

Got an extra rep on each set of dips. Solid gym workout, but no progress on the dumbbell overhead press. Skipped triceps completely as mine have been sore lately. Went for a late climb. Tried a different V-2 and made it most of the way up. Just didn't have the strength to finish it out, which of course goes to show that my technique is still poor. I warmed up with some new moves that I had learned, but had trouble applying them during my climbs. It's hard because all the bouldering routes just seem to zig-zag back and forth diagonally. Still lots of fun and super pump in my forearms.
wannalift

Postby wannalift » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:12 pm

9/7/11:

Good effort at the gym. Kept my pace up a little too so that was an added bonus. Still light on the 1-leg press, but went a little heavier on the SLDL an still felt good. I'd like to get back up to 300 for 20 reps hopefully sometime early next year. Made it beyond that with RDL's before, but these are a lot harder.
wannalift

Postby wannalift » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:10 am

9/8/11:

Went up in weight on pull/chin ups at work. Used my fat dummbells for the wrist curls and that turned out to be a much better lift for me. Went for a 1.25 hour ride as I had to cut it a little short due to rain moving in. Caused me to do a massive climb which I may have to turn into my regular route. It would actually add some downhill singletrack if I design it right so that's never a bad thing. Finished the day with a 1.5 hour session at the climbing wall. Smoked the route that had me held up last time. Almost finished a new one, but my hands/forearms were obliterated.
wannalift

Postby downhillingdemon » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:47 am

I demand pics of the singletrack!
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Postby wannalift » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:53 pm

downhillingdemon wrote:I demand pics of the singletrack!

Well, I still have to get a camera, but here is a video I found of one of the short downhills I usually ride at Frick. It's a descent of about 750 ft. Again, I am NOT part of this video and did NOT pick the music:

wannalift

Postby wannalift » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:13 pm

9-9-11:

Went up in weight on dips and incline dumbbell bench. Switched to seated barbell overhead press and it's going a little slow there. No cardio for the day as I had a big ride planned for Saturday.

9-10-11:

Had a real nice 2-hour ride at Hartwood Acres. It was only Darrell and I, so we rode at a very hard pace. Added some air to my front and rear shocks and I'm very pleased how the bike is riding. Would have been a longer ride, but I filled in at goal for the Pittsburgh Hornets U18 practice. The coach called me up while I was mtn biking looking for a goalie as apparently they haven't signed a 2nd goalie yet. I may get to practice with them until they get another goalie. They were one of the highest ranked amateur teams in the country last season. J.T. Miller's (drafted 9th overall this year) younger brother is on the team. Really good players with hard shots. My dangler was shattered by a slapshot halfway through. Cool experience.
wannalift

Postby downhillingdemon » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:47 am

Cor blimy that looks like awesome riding you have over there!

Do you have to ride in the wet a lot or is the climate mostly quite dry?
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Postby wannalift » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:28 am

downhillingdemon wrote:Cor blimy that looks like awesome riding you have over there!

Do you have to ride in the wet a lot or is the climate mostly quite dry?

Yeah, it's a nice area to ride. We are not really in the high mountains by any means, but the terrain is all rolling hills. This is my first year riding, but you can ride around from May until December as we have 4 seasons here. It's either too wet or there is snow on the ground from Jan-April. I have been riding on days after heavy rain and it has not slowed me down TOO much.
wannalift

Postby wannalift » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:38 am

9-11-11:

Good workout at the gym. Slowly building back up on the 1-leg press. Kept a good pace and stayed off my phone the whole time :o

9-12-11:

Stayed the same on pull ups, but got an extra rep on all 3 sets of chin ups. Went for a ~2-hour ride, but I rode quite poorly. Perhaps my legs were still sore from Sunday, but I was dragging it the whole time. Then I lost my balance on a technical section and got violated by the top tube when I tipped over into a ravine. That put me down for a few minutes as I had to "assess the damage". Took another long break after that. I actually did my later climbs really well, but wondering how much of that was from the long breaks I took. I was also getting tossed around by the roots, mud and general slick conditions of the trail. Went for a climb later and I didn't do so great on the climb either. Didn't make the V-2 I left off at last time and actually hurt my hip trying to do one of the mounts. Tried a different route and I at least got close to the end of that one too. I really expected to have knocked of that V-2 though :cry:
wannalift

Postby wannalift » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:34 pm

9/13/11:

For some reason my chest/sternum is hurting. It feels like it needs cracked, but I am unable to crack it no matter how hard I contort my body. I have no idea what caused this or what it is exactly. In the past if I had ever had the feeling I would just have to arch my back and it would crack and thus go away. Made the dips feel uncomfortable and pretty much ruined my gym workout except for bamboo bench which went okay. Woke up today and it is still there. Sigh.
wannalift

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs