Vegan Strongman

Please introduce yourself here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Vegan Strongman

Postby Chris Vaughn » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:12 pm

Hello all.

I went vegan about three months ago after I finally "got it" that animals aren't food or resources. It was cold turkey, and not as hard as I thought. (Tofurkey and MorningStar are doing some amazing things!)

I had a pretty high-level athletic sponsorship until just recently. From it, I hid my dietary choices due to the fact that I knew that in the meat head strength community, it's very manly somehow to buy body parts from the supermarket and eat them. Unfortunately, my assumption proved correct, and I was flamed mercilessly for weeks via a number of venues.

The thing is, I'm not sure why? This was just a couple of weeks ago:

http://youtu.be/6frgjPCmzKo

I placed second behind a behemoth with more experience than I, yet I beat a couple of guys in the upper 200s. (Third place was 270 lbs--definitely an omni.)

I'm stronger than ever, in better shape, and the best part is, nobody has to die to fuel my continued success. I took a lot of heat, but I just don't get it. Why murder and torture animals for "extra" strength and muscle? Not to survive, but for a hobby? Seems really selfish and pathetic.

Note that I am more of a "functional" vegan. I don't buy animal products, but occastionaly a dish will come with cheese or is made with eggs (not to my knowledge), and considering it's really too late to do anything at that point, I eat them. Still, this is about .001% of what I used to eat.

I am very happy to be here knowing that there are others having success with a cruelty-free diet. Before I got my sponsorship taken, I was able to get at least 3-4 people to start an ovo-lacto veg or straight up vegan diet, so I have to be a little positive about things.

I've read through a bunch of the intros and am very inspired to keep on this path.

Again, great to be here!
Chris Vaughn

Re: Vegan Strongman

Postby loveliberate » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:41 pm

Hello and Welcome! :D
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.corneredcat.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby kallefs » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:38 am

Welcome! Sorry to hear about the sponsorship deal, hopefully there are other sponsors out there with a more positive outlook on veganism.

Best of luck with your training and competitions.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby JP » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:22 am

hey welcome :D

had to stalk you up on the web and seems like you have done some comps over the past years, nice one :)

Which class do you compete in?

I mainly do 105kg class comps in UK and Finland.

Any probs you have with your transition, dont hesitate to ask around here, thats what this place is here for!
JP
Site Admin

Postby Konstantin » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:26 pm

Welcome on board!
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby bronco » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:28 am

Welcome to the board :D !
JP wrote:Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby thestoatyone » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:03 pm

Good man, welcome aboard! Think it's safe to say that most people end up eating a few bits by accident. Don't beat yourself up, take it on the chin and move on, it's all about trying the best you can given your circumstances for sure.

Can we tempt you into keeping a log for a spell?
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby Chris Vaughn » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:31 am

JP wrote:hey welcome :D

had to stalk you up on the web and seems like you have done some comps over the past years, nice one :)

Which class do you compete in?

I mainly do 105kg class comps in UK and Finland.

Any probs you have with your transition, dont hesitate to ask around here, thats what this place is here for!

Damn. I thought I was the first vegan strongman. :mrgreen:

I'm very happy to know somebody went first. I was in the 231s, but now <200s. I was a fat 231er. Cutting out meat made losing it pretty easy.
Chris Vaughn

Postby Chris Vaughn » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:32 am

thestoatyone wrote:Good man, welcome aboard! Think it's safe to say that most people end up eating a few bits by accident. Don't beat yourself up, take it on the chin and move on, it's all about trying the best you can given your circumstances for sure.

Can we tempt you into keeping a log for a spell?

Thanks. And sure. Note though that I'm going to actually post what I do, not some crap a company wanted me to post. :mrgreen:
Chris Vaughn

Postby Chris Vaughn » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:47 am

Log link:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23233&p=383374#p383374

Try not to break your jaw when yawning.
Chris Vaughn

Postby Lordmuppet » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:46 am

holy smokes the beast has landed!

Welcome to the board Chris and I'm really sorry that folks gave you a hard time :(
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby xrodolfox » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:05 pm

Welcome! I am so glad you are here.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Spam » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:50 pm

Welcome Chris! I rarely post...mostly just browse, but your NH strongman post caught my attention. Do you live in NH, or were you just in NH to compete?
Spam

Return to New member introductions