Dips in the doorway

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Dips in the doorway

Postby Lordmuppet » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:16 pm

Was pretty stoked to find this http://www.dipsbar.co.uk/ may end up getting one myself

Same idea as iron gym looks like but for dips. Looks like you might be able to do pull ups on the dip bar too but they don't mention it
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Re: Dips in the doorway

Postby chewybaws » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:50 am

This could be a good addition to my home gym...
was there a time we weren't at war; when we knew what our hearts and hands were for?
chewybaws

Postby xJimx » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:26 am

Clever idea, I always wonder though how healthy these set ups are for the door frame itself!

Due to the height (or lack there of) of the bars it looks like it would be tricky to add weight. Bodyweight dips willl get dull & be of limited use pretty quickly unless you're a beginner. IMO if you want a way to do dips outside the gym you'd be better off getting some gymnastic rings & finding a football crossbar to hang them from.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby Lordmuppet » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:07 pm

xJimx wrote:Clever idea, I always wonder though how healthy these set ups are for the door frame itself!

Due to the height (or lack there of) of the bars it looks like it would be tricky to add weight. Bodyweight dips willl get dull & be of limited use pretty quickly unless you're a beginner. IMO if you want a way to do dips outside the gym you'd be better off getting some gymnastic rings & finding a football crossbar to hang them from.

Regarding healthiness i had some worries too so i looked around online and tried to google to find people whose doors had been wrecked by the pull up bar. Couldn't find even one.

Regarding height just set it up higher no? I don't see any reason one would have to set it up where he does.

i would get one right now if they were cheaper.
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Fallen_Horse » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:50 am

Hrm, if only it was in stores, then it could go on sale for 25 or so :D
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby wannalift » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:50 pm

I just use a walker (like the one elderly folks use). It's easy to setup and I have no trouble adding weight (85+ lbs). You can find one for $5 at a thrift store. I recommend one that folds up, has adjustable height, and has extra lateral support like the 'guardian' brand ones:

Are you doing enough to be the best?
wannalift

Postby thestoatyone » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:55 pm

Why did I not think of that...
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby Mellos » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:13 pm

Made. My. Day.
Current PBs:
195 kg SQ, 130 kg Bench, 245 kg DL, 200 kg SQ w/ wraps

Long Term Goals:
@ 75 kg: SQ - 252,5 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 267,5 kg, DL - 307,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 710
@ 82,5 kg: SQ - 275 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 277,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 772,5 kg

Team Insanity - The Laws of Physics are Merely a Suggestion
Mellos

Postby Lordmuppet » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:14 am

good idea! how do you make it work with a dips belt or do you add weight some other way?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby wannalift » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:23 pm

Lordmuppet wrote:good idea! how do you make it work with a dips belt or do you add weight some other way?

I just wear a belt and tuck the dumbbell between my legs. You kind of have to keep your hips back a little, but you should be doing that anyway. You could also tuck the weight behind your legs too if the chain on the belt is long enough. Alternatively, you could use a strap such as a dog leash instead of a belt. Works the same.
Are you doing enough to be the best?
wannalift

Postby Anton » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:59 pm

at work i just use a set of trestle....does the job fine! and pretty handy too when you aren't dipping...which shouldn't be often
Anton

Return to Power and Strength