Porn?

Armchair politics, ethical soapbox and current affairs. Place to discuss vegan ethics and general ethics and politics. Be nice.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Porn?

Good
2
40%
Neutral
3
60%
Bad
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 5

Re: Porn?

Postby muchluv » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:46 pm

Hiking fox: There is a w website which has user sumbitted porn and it is proven it is them as they write the website name somewhere in the video.

The problem with watching commercial porn (to me), even if you haven't payed for it, is that you don't know they want people watchin'. Maybe they did that video for extra money, and they dont want people seeing.

I do find, personally, that porn messes me up a bit mentally. I yo-yo with stopping watching and starting again.
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor
 
Posts: 522
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Porn?

Postby Linnéa76 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:07 am

I just came across a pretty good article on internet porn addiction. It describes how online porn
makes it possible to keep your brain's reward center activated in a way that a monthly Playboy never could...

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/cup ... n-training
-Talk is cheap-
User avatar
Linnéa76
Moderator
 
Posts: 1851
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:34 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Porn?

Postby soniczip » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:36 pm

Fallen_Horse wrote:I think that sex should only happen in a partnership where the couple has developed emotional and mental attachments to each other, AKA commitment. Porn is just the opposite of this, so my concern is that viewing it leads to a 'lack of commitment' mindset


veganlifter wrote:I am also intrigued where you say that “I think that sex should only happen in a partnership where the couple has developed emotional and mental attachments to each other” Just wonder why you feel this way? Surely if you have two consenting adults who are happy to have sex without emotional attachment, why is this wrong?


Fallen_Horse wrote:Also, the only reason I say people shouldn't have random sex is because STD's are spreading rapidly enough as it is, and sex with multiple people also multiplies your chances of getting an STD. Now, if that's a risk you are willing to take, that would be ok, except that then you become a drain on the healthcare system when you want/require treatment for your condition. So unless these two consenting people are SURE that they each don't have an STD, then I would say that sex is a no-no.


so, just to recap:
- porn is bad because it leads to lack of commitment, which is the opposite of what should happen in a relationship
- people shouldn't have random sex because it contributes to the spreading of stds

but what is the link between these two statements? what are you saying exactly?
that porn automaticly leads to lack of commitment which automaticly leads to having random sex which automaticly leads to the spreading of stds?
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
User avatar
soniczip
Active Member
 
Posts: 4551
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: italy

Re: Porn?

Postby xrodolfox » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:45 pm

Linnéa76 wrote:I just came across a pretty good article on internet porn addiction. It describes how online porn
makes it possible to keep your brain's reward center activated in a way that a monthly Playboy never could...

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/cup ... n-training


That was interesting. I'd love to see some actual results and data on the effects of this new availability and proliferation of pornography. This was a very good exploratory article none the less.

I can see how modern proliferation of porn is quite different than anything ever before.

However, as far as the OP is concerned, this seems to be more of a condemnation of the distribution and access and niche production of porn, rather than of erotic images and media itself.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
User avatar
xrodolfox
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3579
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:29 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Porn?

Postby Fallen_Horse » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:38 pm

soniczip wrote:
Fallen_Horse wrote:I think that sex should only happen in a partnership where the couple has developed emotional and mental attachments to each other, AKA commitment. Porn is just the opposite of this, so my concern is that viewing it leads to a 'lack of commitment' mindset


veganlifter wrote:I am also intrigued where you say that “I think that sex should only happen in a partnership where the couple has developed emotional and mental attachments to each other” Just wonder why you feel this way? Surely if you have two consenting adults who are happy to have sex without emotional attachment, why is this wrong?


Fallen_Horse wrote:Also, the only reason I say people shouldn't have random sex is because STD's are spreading rapidly enough as it is, and sex with multiple people also multiplies your chances of getting an STD. Now, if that's a risk you are willing to take, that would be ok, except that then you become a drain on the healthcare system when you want/require treatment for your condition. So unless these two consenting people are SURE that they each don't have an STD, then I would say that sex is a no-no.


so, just to recap:
- porn is bad because it leads to lack of commitment, which is the opposite of what should happen in a relationship
- people shouldn't have random sex because it contributes to the spreading of stds

but what is the link between these two statements? what are you saying exactly?
that porn automaticly leads to lack of commitment which automaticly leads to having random sex which automaticly leads to the spreading of stds?

Huh? I mean, I guess I don't know what YOU are getting at. :D

What I was trying to say is that I am concerned porn tends to cause people to become more lustful in their daily life, possibly leading to adultery and viewing women in a more physical and less mental/emotional viewpoint. Random sex was mentioned by another member, and they were saying that they didn't see anything wrong with random sex, and I was providing a counterpoint to that. The posts weren't really related.
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse
Active Member
 
Posts: 1788
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:07 am
Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA

Re: Porn?

Postby soniczip » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:14 pm

Fallen_Horse wrote:Huh? I mean, I guess I don't know what YOU are getting at. :D

What I was trying to say is that I am concerned porn tends to cause people to become more lustful in their daily life, possibly leading to adultery and viewing women in a more physical and less mental/emotional viewpoint. Random sex was mentioned by another member, and they were saying that they didn't see anything wrong with random sex, and I was providing a counterpoint to that. The posts weren't really related.

i was trying to understand your point of view better :D which i didn't because nobody mentioned random sex, you did :wink: by answering to veganlifer, who wasn't talking about random sex:

"I am also intrigued where you say that “I think that sex should only happen in a partnership where the couple has developed emotional and mental attachments to each other” Just wonder why you feel this way? Surely if you have two consenting adults who are happy to have sex without emotional attachment, why is this wrong?"

he wasn't mentioning random sex! just because people consent having sex outside a stable relationship doesn't mean they are having random sex. but maybe it's just the word "random" which is confusing me as a non-english mother tongue speaker. random to me means "close your eyes and pick whatever". isn't it possible to choose a partner with criteria without being in a stable relationship? if this is possible, than that's not random to me.

maybe casual sex sounds better? apologies if it's just a language barrier :D
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
User avatar
soniczip
Active Member
 
Posts: 4551
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: italy

Re: Porn?

Postby Fallen_Horse » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:11 am

Sure, casual works too. By random I was referring to the fact that it could be any person you happen to find on the street, as long as they are physically attractive to you. This covers quite a few people, hence the term 'random' :)
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse
Active Member
 
Posts: 1788
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:07 am
Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA

Previous

Return to Ethics, Politics and Current Affairs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests

cron