Vegan rock climbing shoes

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Vegan rock climbing shoes

Postby billyoffspring » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:12 pm

This is for all of you climbers out there. There is a company that makes vegan rock climbing shoes! Every pair of Evolv's rock climbing shoes are vegan, except one.

I bought a pair at REI a few days ago, but as chance would have it I picked up the only non-vegan one (do not buy the Demorto...it has leather trim). Anyway, I went back and exchanged it for a vegan pair. I ended up getting the Evo. I haven't done a climbing session in them yet, but from mucking around on the small wall in REI they felt good. Anyway, if you need a vegan pair or rock climbing shoes check out Evolv.
I refuse to turn my back on these words I've etched into my soul; this oath I take to protect all life and never cheapen my own.
billyoffspring

Postby tulia » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:54 pm

Those are some beautiful shoes! I love to rock climbing (carefully) and my son likes to risk his freaking life. Gonna give those a try.
tulia

Postby Frequency Decoder » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:53 am

Yeah, I bought a pair of the Evolv 'Defy' earlier this year and have used them quite a bit, inside and out and they are comfortable and durable, would definitely recomend!
Frequency Decoder

Postby StevieP » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:19 am

No shoes, but this vegan rock climbing book has just appeared:

http://www.activeg.org/news/1009.html
StevieP

Postby revolushuneyz » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:45 pm

Is anyone who has experience with other shoes able to compare? E.g. how is the heel setting, the downturn. Do they use the shoes for bouldering and top-roping/trad?

That book looks awesome. Thanks for the link.
revolushuneyz

Postby Frostfire » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:37 pm

I currently have a pair of Montrail's Zeolot right now, and when I tried on Evolv's Elektra shoe, they seemed very similar. Maybe the Evolv had less downturn. Best for bouldering I'd say, and some shorter sport/trad routes, but I prefer lace-ups for longer hauls (these ones are velcro).
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Re: Vegan rock climbing shoes

Postby baldy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:08 pm

Just started my hunt for vegan climbing shoes. Tried all the evolv shoes at Cotswolds, but none of them fit my feet, too tight on my big toe and not snug on the heel.
Then went to a proper climbing shop and the assistant got me fitted into a pair of Red chilli spirits. The ones they had in stock are all leather but apparently the latest ones are synthetic so they ordered me a pair, should arrive next week. They are really tight on my feet and crimp my toes which is apparently ideal. :?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:15 am

I got my shoes this weekend and double checked there where synthetic. They look and feel exactly like the leather ones.
Had an interesting chat with the guy at the shop, apparently they have to pay import duty on leather shoes and not synthetic ones. So most of the rock climbing shoes are starting to move away from leather. Which is why the old stock Red Chilli Spirits are leather and the new ones are synthetic.

Nice shoes maybe a little to advanced for me as they really crimp my toes, but they will stretch and I will get better.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby wannalift » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:10 pm

I got the Evolv Kaos 2's. I like them:

Are you doing enough to be the best?
wannalift

Postby Flamingonuss » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:46 pm

Mammut Pro

quite ok, except the smell of this synthetics.
Flamingonuss

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness