Krav Maga

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Krav Maga

Postby Johnboy74 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:20 pm

I know it's technically not a martial art, so not sure If I should post this in general fitness??

Anyways, I've started this last week and wondering if any other peeps are doing this?

Info and experiences much appreciated :)
****** Vegan Atheist ******
Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.
Johnboy74

Re: Krav Maga

Postby loveliberate » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:23 am

Why woudn't KM be considered a martial art? I am guessing its becaus KM focuses more on the martial side of things? I have no real experience with it but from what I have heard and read KM is very good stuff, particularly if your focus is on personal defense. Please let us know what your experience is like - and please share photos too! :D
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.corneredcat.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby knackers » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:50 am

Hey JB, I was doing this for a while but the instructor decided to blend his own self defence system so although it has a lot of similar principles its no longer pure Krav Maga, its more a mixture of what he thinks is most practical.

Personally, I have enjoyed this type of training alot, reality based self defence is something I fancy to learn much more than other types of flashier 'Martial Arts' out there, also the fact that it is reality based theres no rules like in boxing or kickboxing, etc. Be prepared to learn effective unarmed defence utilizing every tool at your disposal, ie elbow/knee/spit/headbut/bite, weapon defence (gun, knife, baton,etc), situational awareness and scenarios, multiple attackers, just to name a few.

Hope you enjoy it!!
“Animals do have a voice. If you ignore their suffering, I will remind you of it. If you don't understand them, I will translate. If you don't hear them, I will be their voice. You may silence them but you cannot silence me as long as I live.” ~ Anita Mahdessian (C
knackers

Postby Johnboy74 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:09 pm

Thanks Peeps... from what I've learned so far, the first rule of Krav Maga is there are no rules, anything goes :wink:

You are right knackers, instructor said you can do whatever is needed, gouge eyes out, bite, head butt and I was standing there thinking whoah...

Should be an interesting ride lol
****** Vegan Atheist ******
Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.
Johnboy74

Postby loveliberate » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:10 pm

While that all makes sense if you are actually fighting off a real attack, I am fairly sure that your training partners may disagree with the "no rules" bit, eh? :lol:
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.corneredcat.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby knackers » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:32 am

haha yeh, we have goggles for training eyegouging but in general you can't really spar fullon in this type of thing for obvious reasons. It becomes a very fine line when training with resistance (ie, training partner knowing what you are going to do and trying to avoid or resist) and you got to get to know your training partners if you are going to go that far. Ie / last night I was practicing knife defence from a flatonback position and it was with resistance from a heavy training partner, so because he was so goddam strong (and knew exactly what I was intending to do :roll: ) I didnt get the move on and ended up having to improvise, so it ended up in us rolling for a bit whilst he was trying to stab me with a rubber knife and I simulated an eyegouge by tapping him near the eyes with fingers flat.... then he stabbed me in the leg LOL
Also >>Groinguard is COMPULSORY for Kravmaga! :D
“Animals do have a voice. If you ignore their suffering, I will remind you of it. If you don't understand them, I will translate. If you don't hear them, I will be their voice. You may silence them but you cannot silence me as long as I live.” ~ Anita Mahdessian (C
knackers

Postby joe666 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:06 pm

I'm hopeing to start going to class's in Bristol next month.It seem's like a really good thing to learn and one of the most usefull for self defence.
joe666

Postby Bounce » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:29 pm

I've found a class near me (West Norwood) and I'm hoping to start soon. I'll be travelling alone next year and I live in South London, which can be dangerous; I want to be able to protect myself.

I was wondering how much physical strength you need to be effective. Somebody told me that you can get injured a lot, even in training... Is this true?
Bounce

Postby ruckus » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:21 pm

i've trained krav maga for two years.

krav maga mostly relies on kneeing people in the groin or poking them in the eyes, and anyone can do that with enough force. for me, it was more a question about stamina and psychology (actually poking someone in the eyes is rather unpleasant and going from 0 to homocidal apeshit mode takes some training).

as for injuries, i don't think it's more dangerous than any other martial art. of course, both you and your training partner must take care when performing the techniques and while sparring. also, there's always a risk that you run into idiots that can't control their movement or the amount of strength they use. i try to tell them to take it easier or if that doesn't work just avoid them.

you'll get loads and loads of bruises, tho. and it will hurt. (especially the 360 blocks.) but bruises heal and the knowledge you gain will be worth it, imo.
ruckus

Return to Martial Arts