Shoe questions!

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Shoe questions!

Postby xJimx » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:51 pm

OK folks I have some questions about shoes. I'm almost entirely ignorant of all matters running-related so bear with me:

I don't run far as I generally do sprints or a 5k once or twice a week, however my shoes are 3 years old & I'm starting to get pain in my shins (especially when I sprint) & sometimes numbness in my feet (towards the end of longer runs over 5k) - does this mean they're worn out?

As someone who's heavy by running standards (90kg) & has some history of back/hip trouble should I go for top-of-the-range shoes with maximum cushioning or will this not make much difference given the distances I do? I'd prefer something less clumpy than my current NBs like the Brook Green Silence but would this be asking for trouble?

Thanks.
DYEL
xJimx

Re: Shoe questions!

Postby soniczip » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:27 pm

my best advice, by experience, is to find a shop with a good shop assistant. definition of good: someone who is passionate about running, likes talking about it, is willing to give you the best advice for your situation.

that said, shoes are the most important piece of equipment in "running". go for what is good for you, not your wallet. then, within the range of shoes which fits your needs, yearly mileage*, feet shape, bodyweight ... go for the bargain.

* a well cushioned pair of shoes, class A3/A4, lasts from 500 to 1000 km
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby skoptic » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:05 pm

Yup they are worn out!!! ;)

'They' say that shoes last 500 miles (although that's like a sell by date .. so like soniczip says you can get more). But 'They' also say that the midsole in the shoe breaks down in a bout a year .. so as a heavier runner, I'd say you're right to treat yourself to a new pair of shoes :)

As for which.... chucking money at them will get you some hefty cushioning (and weight too :)) but is not the magic bullet. Again Mr Zip is bang on it - a nice shop assistant who is a runner will sort you out. They should watch you run a bit (20 yards or on a treadmill) to see your gait (if you roll your feet etc.) and then they'll be able to pick something suitable for your size.

Shin pain can be from lack of stretching though (tight calves a classic) or increased mileage... so might not be all shoes, but I would def get a new pair with what you say about age and your pains :) Hope it all gets better!
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby xJimx » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:04 am

OK cheers guys, there's a good running shop nearby so I'll pay them a visit.

Good tip re stretching/shin pain, will see if that helps.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby andyO » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:46 pm

I'll prefix my reply by saying that I'm very much in the minimalist shoes / pose technique of running these days, and have been moving that way ever since reading Gordon Piries book in 2001.

As always Jim if you're getting proper bad pains/injury symptons best to visit a physio or doc for a checkup rather than listen to idiots like me online.

I sometimes get shin pains when running or walking, it is normally because I have suddenly upped the intensity or amount of my training too quickly. Remember that your muscles develop much faster than your bones, so when upping your training your muscles and CV system will be ready for more miles (or intensity) before your bones are.

I sometimes also get numb feet, normally because I've tied my laces too tight. Are you tying your laces too tight to keep your shoes on because they are old and falling apart?

Shoeswise - when my shoes have no tread left or are starting to fall apart, that's when I replace them. For me this normally happens within a year or so (so definitely within 3 years). I ignore the 500mile limit these days as the shoes I wear have next to no cushioning in them anyway, it's also convenient that the folks selling you the shoes say you should replace them every 6 months too isn't it...

If you run with good technique Brooks green silence should be great shoes Jim, I am currently doing all the running that I do on roads in these:
http://www.shopnewbalance.co.uk/RC130XLU
find the edge of the hurt envelope - and push...
andyO

Return to Vegan Runners