long distance running / diet

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

long distance running / diet

Postby mish123 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:26 am

I enjoy long distance running- I run 15 k with little effort.
but can't seem to keep weight on- I don't check calories - I just eat lots
of veggies, grains, lentils, fruits, and seeds/nuts, algae- I can't seem to keep weight on-
the period where I run longer distances I actually have less of an appetite-
I feel good, not weak or tired, i sleep 7 hours a day - Any suggestions on how to maintain proper weight -
mish123

Re: long distance running / diet

Postby xrodolfox » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:17 pm

I'm not expert on running (I avoid it), but when I do run, I notice it suppresses my hunger. I'm normally a swimmer, and swimming totally makes me hungrier. Weird.

Anyhow, if you need to keep on weight, I suggest that you drink lots of your calories. Drinking calories affects the system a lot differently than eating them, especially if that drink is "thin". The thicker the drink is, the more it'll feel like "food". The other trick is to eat foods that have more calories per volume and weight. Water, for example, has lots of volume weight, but no calories. Lettuce has lots of volume, but few calories. Pasta, grains, nuts, and others, have lots more calories per unit mass and volume. Processed vegan foods tend to be even higher in calories per unit volume and make it a bit too easy to gain weight.

Frankly, if you drink more calories, you can still eat healthy during the day instead of having to substitute processed vegan foods for fresh veggies. If a drink has sugar, it has calories, so even fresh juices are perfect.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby MikayP » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:31 pm

not really a fan of 7 hours of sleep a night. id say 8 minimum but more like 9+ is ideal.

so do you mean weight on after the workout, of just weight in general? give us an example of your daily diet and workout?
Triathlon Coaching - http://www.PortmanCoaching.com

Facebook Page- http://www.facebook.com/PortmanCoaching

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/MikePortman

Strava - http://app.strava.com/athletes/mike_portman
MikayP

Postby skoptic » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:18 pm

[quote="xrodolfox"]when I do run, I notice it suppresses my hunger

Weirdo ;) Makes me ravenous!!!!
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby mish123 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:41 pm

MikayP- an example of my running/diet
I try to run about 3 times a week each run is anywhere between 12-16k in about 50-80 min. when I finish my run I feel great am never the slightest bit tired. I run at 5 am the latest. My diet is usually like this
1 cup coffee 4am (its my demon)
run- by 5 am
green juice (ex:zuchinni, cucumber, apple, parsley, wheat grass, spinach.....)
then a green shake for breakfast (sprouts, blue green algea, spirulina, and seasonal fruit, a teaspoon of hemp oil -)
nuts (walnuts, almond, cashews - whatever is around.
lunch -steamed kale, basmati rice, a variety of lentils, huge salad rich in all the veggies - lettuce , baby greens, red pepper, cucumber, carrots, chia seed ....
later mango or melon
evening - more fruit or steamed veggies on rice / lentils again
This is more or less my day
I'm not hungry and have good energy- sleep around 7 hours
sugestions?
mish123

Postby crapiecorn » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:38 pm

[quote="mish123"]
sugestions?

Yes, it probably feels like you eat a lot, but your calorie count is pretty low. Also the amount of carbs is very low. You can also try to take in some carbs before you run so that you can use a bit more glycogen as fuel instead of fat.
crapiecorn

Postby ninearms » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:09 pm

[quote="crapiecorn"][quote="mish123"]
sugestions?

Yes, it probably feels like you eat a lot, but your calorie count is pretty low. Also the amount of carbs is very low. You can also try to take in some carbs before you run so that you can use a bit more glycogen as fuel instead of fat.

The amount of carbs is low because the amount of food is low. Most of the calories come from fibrous carb sources - very little fat and even less protein.

Have you heard of ice cream and peanut butter topped with chocolate sauce and smashed honeycomb?
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby skoptic » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:13 pm

Mish123 .. I must admit I didn't do a calorie count, but when I'm doing marathon training ... I eat a lot more carbs than you do. I think everything you are eating is great - but maybe some more carbs like the guys say? Although tricky if you say you aren't feeling hungry!
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Return to Vegan Runners