front squat/back squat?

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

front squat/back squat?

Postby hoffmeister » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:55 am

Whats the benefits of doing back squats compared to fronties? My knees always go a bit inwards when I do heavy back squats but not when I do front squats. So I'm thinking of only do fronties.
this is Sparta
hoffmeister
Reluctant Moderator

Re: front squat/back squat?

Postby baldy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:34 am

hoffmeister wrote:Whats the benefits of doing back squats compared to fronties? My knees always go a bit inwards when I do heavy back squats but not when I do front squats. So I'm thinking of only do fronties.

How much lighter are your fronties compared to your back squats?
I think that is the main difference really, back squats let you lift more. Front squats are probably better for flexibility and stuff.

Just do both.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby hoffmeister » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:55 am

On a normal day I think I do FS 105 and BS 115. (1RM 110-125)
this is Sparta
hoffmeister
Reluctant Moderator

Postby Mellos » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:45 am

Front squats focus on your quads and ypur upper back more (you need to stay tight or you will have back pain) while back squats train the lower back, glutes and hamstrings more than fronties do.
Back squats are more of an overall exercise than front squats but the best way is to do them both.

About the knees: you will learn how to keep them from going in. I had that problem, after a lot of time it hurt. I tried to push my knees out to the sides and never had knee pain again. (well, not often at least)
Current PBs:
195 kg SQ, 130 kg Bench, 245 kg DL, 200 kg SQ w/ wraps

Long Term Goals:
@ 75 kg: SQ - 252,5 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 267,5 kg, DL - 307,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 710
@ 82,5 kg: SQ - 275 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 277,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 772,5 kg

Team Insanity - The Laws of Physics are Merely a Suggestion
Mellos

Postby Talyn » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:57 am

Mellos wrote:Front squats focus on your quads and ypur upper back more (you need to stay tight or you will have back pain) while back squats train the lower back, glutes and hamstrings more than fronties do.
Back squats are more of an overall exercise than front squats but the best way is to do them both.

About the knees: you will learn how to keep them from going in. I had that problem, after a lot of time it hurt. I tried to push my knees out to the sides and never had knee pain again. (well, not often at least)

+1

It can also depend on how wide your stance is when you back squat. I use the same fairly narrow stance for front and back squats, and I find there is more carryover.

Knees out is just a cue that you have to force yourself to remember, regardless of whether you're doing front or back squats.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby JP » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:59 pm

hey you are a crossfit monkey so train the squats like weightlifters do.

...actually they probably do them in all kinds of ways... But anyway, the guys who i know they use the same stance, and same depth with both. Knees cant surely buckle in more than with fronties then?

Your ratio shows a solid front squat man! mine is 182.5/230 - again you are like the weightlifters i know, main training partner has 210/235 ratio.

many who just do fronts for a while report that their back squat didnt suffer.
JP
Site Admin

Postby chewybaws » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:39 pm

I'm with baldy, just do both.
was there a time we weren't at war; when we knew what our hearts and hands were for?
chewybaws

Return to Power and Strength