Beginner

Yoga, Pilates, Body Balance and variations, general stretching and flexibility discussion.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Beginner

Postby powerlifer » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:09 pm

Hey everyone, looking to get into yoga to improve my flexibility and hopefully ease out a few injuries in turn.

Does anyone have a good beginner dvd recommendation and what type of yoga i am looking for?

Cheers
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Re: Beginner

Postby Darcy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:56 am

Yoga is amazing: it has fixed all my injuries!

BUT I think you really need to go to classes at first. You need an instructor to fix those tiny but essential little alignments that make it effective. Otherwise it will be pointless.

I know that's expensive and awkward... but even if you could just go to one class a week and do a couple of sessions by yourself...

As for type. I think they are all good for you and it is a lot about preference. Two common types are Hatha (slow, relaxing, a series of *held* postures) or Ashtanga (moving, dynamic, a massive workout!). I like Ashtanga.
Darcy

Postby Catt Queen » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:14 am

I have this and am making steady improvements. Occasionally do a session with a friend who goes to classes too.
Allie =^..^=
http://www.stronger.me.uk
Find me on Facebook
Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts.
That's what little girls are made of; to hell with sugar and spice.
Catt Queen

Postby Linnéa76 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:59 pm

+1 on taking a few classes first. I think Hatha yoga with it's slower pace is good for beginners.

And continue to take classes once in a while. The power yoga classes that regular gyms offer
are often quite good!
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby powerlifer » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:16 pm

Thanks for the input everyone, guess ill have to check what classes are going on:).
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Postby nomeat » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:13 am

Hi,

I assume you have already started a class and I hope you have found what you were looking for, but in case you are still searching...do not start with power yoga although you might be ambitious. It is always a good idea to firstly learn the techniques very well because that's what will accompany you throughout the "yoga" life. It is a physical BUT also a mental thing to take time to control the body and to shape it. Good luck and have fun!
nomeat

Postby micalhassi » Tue May 29, 2012 3:42 am

Dear the best and simplest way to recover from your problem that is going to join yoga class and meet instructor for face to face discussion. I know this forum is great in this perceptive but when ever you join yoga classes then you feel that it is your right decision. There are many seniors who tell you about hidden tips & tricks for better yoga works.
micalhassi

Postby blinki » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:58 pm

Linnéa76 wrote: I think Hatha yoga with it's slower pace is good for beginners.

Would it be a terrible idea to do the other sort? Ashtanga is it? I found a class I can make but now but it's that sort and I'm not sure if it'd kill me- especially right now with my back being a bit dodgy

I guess I'm not just asking you but anyone
blinki

Postby meli » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:55 pm

blinki wrote:
Linnéa76 wrote: I think Hatha yoga with it's slower pace is good for beginners.

Would it be a terrible idea to do the other sort? Ashtanga is it? I found a class I can make but now but it's that sort and I'm not sure if it'd kill me- especially right now with my back being a bit dodgy

I guess I'm not just asking you but anyone

With a hurting back I'd recommend you've a look at Scaravelli yoga, or restorative yoga (Yin yoga), or a beginner's Hatha class.

Ashtanga is probably a bit too hard if you have never done it before -Asthanga yoga is a set of approx. 130 poses (with a coordinated breathing pattern for each pose) you should know by heart if you attend a class.

You can also do some yoga at home with dvds and props to relieve back pain and for a good stretch... (if you need links etc. let me know)
meli

Postby blinki » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:11 pm

meli wrote:With a hurting back I'd recommend you've a look at Scaravelli yoga, or restorative yoga (Yin yoga), or a beginner's Hatha class.

Ashtanga is probably a bit too hard if you have never done it before -Asthanga yoga is a set of approx. 130 poses (with a coordinated breathing pattern for each pose) you should know by heart if you attend a class.

You can also do some yoga at home with dvds and props to relieve back pain and for a good stretch... (if you need links etc. let me know)

Thanks. I've looked everywhere I can think of for a class that's at a time I can do, not more than an hours walk away and not stupidly overpriced and this is the first I've found so I'll stick with hatha from youtube videos just now
blinki

Postby XindestructibleX » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:16 pm

Hopefully you have already found your way to yoga!
I highly recommend ashtanga yoga Beginners class, giving you valuable instruction and personal advice for the first postures in the series which you then can continue practising at home.
INDESTRUCTIBLE
XindestructibleX

Postby bthatch » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:01 pm

yes, I would also suggest checking out classes but check out any dvd recomendations you get so you can do those at home once you've gone to classes. You can pop in the dvd on a day you can't get to the studio or would just rather stay home! It's nice to have the option to do either or. I do that with the gym...I attend group ex classes but if I can't make it to a class, I pop in a good fitness dvd.
bthatch

Return to Yoga, Pilates, Body Balance Forum