Burning fat to get me a six pack?

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Burning fat to get me a six pack?

Postby AlexNLP » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:09 am

So I've been trying to burn the lil fat I have left. I wanna get a six pack. I really don't have too much fat left on me. I am 5'6 weight 121lbs, that's like 19.7 BMI don't know how much body fat as I don't have means to measure it for now. 2 and a half years ago my weight was 156lb. I managed to burn it with running and negative Calorie balance, but it doesn't work to burn that last fat left. From what I understand the body actually slowing down the metabolic rate when there isn't much fat left and one is in a negative Calorie balance. So I've started doing Core workouts,strength/weight lifting to get some more upper body muscles, and I'm doing HIIT. Also I've been trying to manipulate my nutrition so I have one or 2 high Calorie days.
My nutrition is pretty much clean. I don't eat any processed sugar junk food/processed foods. I eat very lil amount of fat that comes from nuts,seeds, avocado not more than 40g daily.
AlexNLP

Re: Burning fat to get me a six pack?

Postby Talyn » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:39 pm

AlexNLP wrote:I really don't have too much fat left on me. I am 5'6 weight 121lbs, that's like 19.7 BMI don't know how much body fat as I don't have means to measure it for now.

BMI is a pretty poor form of measurement for athletic type people. Get a tape measure.

So I've been trying to burn the lil fat I have left. I wanna get a six pack.

You are really light, do you even have a six pack to show off?

2 and a half years ago my weight was 156lb. I managed to burn it with running and negative Calorie balance, but it doesn't work to burn that last fat left. From what I understand the body actually slowing down the metabolic rate when there isn't much fat left and one is in a negative Calorie balance.

No, you just need to keep calories below maintenance and lift regularly. As you lose weight your maintenance calories is going to get less and less, so you either add some cardio or just cut calories a little bit more.

So I've started doing Core workouts,strength/weight lifting to get some more upper body muscles, and I'm doing HIIT.

That's good. But you should have been doing that the whole time you were losing weight. Also do leg work.

Also I've been trying to manipulate my nutrition so I have one or 2 high Calorie days.

It's not necessary. If you find it more convenient, then go for it though. Put your higher calorie days on the days you train.

My nutrition is pretty much clean. I don't eat any processed sugar junk food/processed foods. I eat very lil amount of fat that comes from nuts,seeds, avocado not more than 40g daily.

What you eat is largely irrelevant. As long as you're not eating too many calories. Healthy is obviously better but you don't need to be a slave to it.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby baldy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:53 pm

AlexNLP wrote:So I've been trying to burn the lil fat I have left. I wanna get a six pack. I really don't have too much fat left on me. I am 5'6 weight 121lbs, that's like 19.7

From a very reliable source (the internet) I found that Brad Pitt had a BMI of 20, when he was in fight club. Now most people seem to rate Brad Pitt in fight club as the benchmark for abs. So I would say you need to focus on building muscle rather than losing fat.

Which leads to probably the most important questions how much can you squat?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby AlexNLP » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:06 pm

You are right about BMI I'll try to get a tape measure.
I've been doing lots of Core workouts and some abs workouts.So I already have a six pack under that lil fat layer that's left. It's even starting to show the upper part.
I'm a runner so I do cardio at least 3 times a week + 3 times a week weight lifting. That's why I thought I'd burn that fat faster. Also I do lots of legs training. I'll see how HIIT helps and what happens in the next couple weeks.
thx.
AlexNLP

Postby AlexNLP » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:28 pm

baldy wrote:
AlexNLP wrote:So I've been trying to burn the lil fat I have left. I wanna get a six pack. I really don't have too much fat left on me. I am 5'6 weight 121lbs, that's like 19.7

From a very reliable source (the internet) I found that Brad Pitt had a BMI of 20, when he was in fight club. Now most people seem to rate Brad Pitt in fight club as the benchmark for abs. So I would say you need to focus on building muscle rather than losing fat.

Which leads to probably the most important questions how much can you squat?

I'm building muscles for the last 2 months. As I didn't have too much on my upper body. The thing is from what I understand in order to build muscles I need to eat more than usual. So that's sounds kinda counter productive. I did manage to build at least some muscles so far. Maybe I need to work with higher weights or to get more protein I am not sure. As I am doing most of my weight training using 9kg dumbbells each hand so far.
AlexNLP

Postby chewybaws » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:12 pm

a wise man once said "Abs on a skinny guy is like a fat bitch with big tits- it doesn't count"
was there a time we weren't at war; when we knew what our hearts and hands were for?
chewybaws

Postby AlexNLP » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:04 pm

chewybaws wrote:a wise man once said "Abs on a skinny guy is like a fat bitch with big tits- it doesn't count"

Good point :lol:
Yet I don't think I am that skinny considering I am only 5'6. I might build some upper body muscles. But not too much as I am mainly a runner so I don't need too much extra weight.
AlexNLP

Postby silver » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:29 pm

Rupart wrote:Hi Alex,
To burn fat, focus on cardio exercises most and add berries, broccoli, whole grain bread, salmon fish, lean chicken, eggs, oatmeal, garlic and onion, chilies, low fat dairy, brown rice more in your meal plans. Drink more water than routine, avoid skipping meals and do not eat late.

Somebody didn't read the site title when he signed up to give us his opinionated spam!
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk
silver

Postby baldy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:43 am

silver wrote:Somebody didn't read the site title when he signed up to give us his opinionated spam!

The ban hammer has been applied.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights