London Riots

Armchair politics, ethical soapbox and current affairs. Place to discuss vegan ethics and general ethics and politics. Be nice.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: London Riots

Postby Big Good Wolf » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:31 pm

Looks like it should stay quiet in Glasgow at least.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-14461393
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby thestoatyone » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:20 pm

Don't like that at all, it like that twitter joke trial thing...
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby mabli » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:05 pm

veganlifter wrote:
Five police dogs have also been injured in various attacks. One was seriously injured when hit on the head with a brick. One dog had its teeth broken out by an object thrown at it. The remaining dogs were injured by bottles and other items hurled in their direction. Scotland Yard said mounted police and their horses, though both are very exhausted, have so far not been injured in the riots.

http://en.rian.ru/world/20110809/165652205.html

They should put the dogs away. ANIMALS ARE NOT WEAPONS. I am incensed that police have to resort to medieval tactics in this day and age. Fucking disgrace.

Couldnt agree more, its terrible that Police animals are being used and injured, bastards :x :x :x
mabli

Postby beforewisdom » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:14 am

Not much is being said about these riots in the United States. What is the deal? An otherwise isolated incident setting of a powder keg of economic, racial, ethnic and religious tension that has been there all along?

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby ninearms » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:30 am

beforewisdom wrote:Not much is being said about these riots in the United States. What is the deal? An otherwise isolated incident setting of a powder keg of economic, racial, ethnic and religious tension that has been there all along?

None of the latter 3. Mostly a combination of young people who *feel* powerless suddenly realising that rioting makes you feel powerful, and people who want to steal things either for for the sake of stealing things, or because they can suddenly get away with it.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby beforewisdom » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:44 am

Wouldn't that fall under economic tension?

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby ninearms » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:53 am

beforewisdom wrote:Wouldn't that fall under economic tension?

That's why I said none of the latter 3. :D

That said, I think social disenfranchisement is the more important factor. I don't think anyone who owns a Blackberry Curve or iPhone 4 can claim to be poor.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Darcy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:25 am

Darcy

Postby baldy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:44 am

ninearms wrote:That said, I think social disenfranchisement is the more important factor. I don't think anyone who owns a Blackberry Curve or iPhone 4 can claim to be poor.

I would like to think this is the next step after the student protests that didn't do anything. Very JFK "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.", but it's a hard stretch to see how you get from stealing shoes at JD sports to a revolution.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby veganlifter » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:56 am

This is an interesting story from the Yorkshire Post on how the use of police dogs is inflaming things:

Disorder blamed on police dog that bit youth

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/aro ... _1_3662938

“One of the police dogs got loose and bit a number of people, including a boy who was an innocent bystander. Young people witnessed the police dog attacking the boy and were disgusted by it. The kids were not happy with what happened and decided to face-off the police.”
veganlifter

Postby veganlifter » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:14 am

I am pretty appalled by the complete lack of political guidance in any of this and really feel that the majority of it is mindless vandalism and greed. What started in Tottenham with genuine concerns is now a far distant memory. I don’t think anybody seriously believes that 14 year old kids who are filling up bags of looted sports equipment in Manchester are showing any solidarity with the campaign in Tottenham. I bet if you asked those kids about the political motives behind the protest in Tottenham they would be totally clueless. I think there is a real problem with society generally that is materialistically focused and defines happiness by what brand of sports clothing you wear or how many blackberry phones you carry around.
veganlifter

Postby Darcy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:45 am

This video shows young people with a real awareness of what's going on politically, because it is happening directly to them!

Sure, they are products (and agents) of consumerism and capitalism, and this plays out in their actions, but they are also products of relative and rapidly increasing deprivation and alienation of all kinds, not to mention consistent police brutality and particularly (in London at least) racism.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/video ... ures-video

They also predict a riot, a week ago (right at the end).
Darcy

Postby baldy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:53 am

Heated discussion with Boris.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby veganlifter » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:13 pm

I have reviewed the videos you posted and think the closure of youth clubs etc is sad although I think we need to look much deeper at our society before beginning to even understand what is going on. I am certainly no fan of the police and think racism and harassment of the youth plays a part, however what is going on now is wanton violence / theft concerning many who are obsessed with consumerism and celebrity culture. I have travelled to many places in the world that would be classified as extremely “poor” however what I found in many of those communities were some of the kindest and happiest people I have ever met in my life. Those people did not have youth clubs, cinemas or the latest blackberry phone; however they seemed much happier and their communities did not suffer from many of the social problems we have in our own. As I said in an earlier post I think some serious questions need to be asked around parenting. What the hell are 14 year old kids doing out on their own at 2am? When I was growing up I lived in a relatively deprived ex mining community. There certainly weren’t many amenities in the area, however we kept our self’s occupied and gave a lot to the local community. I remember as a young person I used to help old people get their shopping and did some voluntary work at a local animal shelter. I understand that many of the youth today may be frustrated by the cut back of services etc, however I just don’t make the connection with some of what is going on. Today I got a call from my friend in Birmingham who has just opened a family run shop. He is by no means a wealthy person and has put every penny into his shop. He is now absolutely terrified recalling instances of youths in the local area going on a rampage. Some of his friends businesses have been targeted and he really can’t understand what is going on. I am in two minds whether to go down and sleep in his shop with him. You really can’t blame local communities for mobilising to defend themselves. From what I hear on the news 3 people have now been killed in Birmingham in a hit a run while they were trying to defend their community from looters. Call me naive but I just can’t make the connection between someone committing this appalling act and the loss of youth services in the area. As I said above I think these problems stem much deeper. As someone said in an earlier post I think there are some legitimate reasons behind some of what is going on, however it seems to have gone aimless with no direction. If contrasted with the Greece riots the differences are quite apparent.
veganlifter

Postby veganlifter » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:32 pm

I just listened to this on Radio 4. It gives a really interesting incite:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/ne ... 560646.stm
veganlifter

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Politics and Current Affairs