Put the kettle on.

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Put the kettle on.

Postby Asleep on a sunbeam » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:39 pm

soniczip wrote:are you following a specific (daily or weekly) program or just trying a bit of everything right now?

i'm still waiting for your (back from hell) 1 x 10 minutes burpees report :wink:

Yeah I will do that, one day. I guess I keep putting it off, but it's scary (I was pretty scared doing the last set of squats, which I suppose in a way is a good sign)! I'm following the videos as best I can, so I'm doing that program. But I'm thinking of adapting things a bit more.

I'm going to put a back up routine in place in case the first video is too easy. I'll edit the links in to the first post now.
BOOYAH!
Asleep on a sunbeam

Postby ninearms » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:17 pm

Good stuff AOAS!

Have a read of this. Lots of good ideas in there.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Asleep on a sunbeam » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:28 pm

ninearms wrote:Good stuff AOAS!

Wow. I'm not sure what to make of all of that. I always thought it was bad to work the same muscles every day, but page 3 seems to contradict that. Do you think if I started doing those three exercises once a day everyday it would be a good or bad thing? Could I permanently hurt myself?
And how much of those exercises should I do if you do think I should?
It's quite an intriguing thought for me, everyone I've ever spoken to has told me that's a no no :P .
BOOYAH!
Asleep on a sunbeam

Postby ninearms » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:47 pm

Asleep on a sunbeam wrote:

Wow. I'm not sure what to make of all of that. I always thought it was bad to work the same muscles every day, but page 3 seems to contradict that. Do you think if I started doing those three exercises once a day everyday it would be a good or bad thing? Could I permanently hurt myself?
It's quite an intriguing thought for me, everyone I've ever spoken to has told me that's a no no :P .

Doing those 3 every day would be a good thing. You don't have to do a lot, just do the movements. A good way is to just do them as your warmups before moving on to the harder stuff, and on your days "off" just do your warmup.

As Dan says: "If it is important, do it every day. If it's not important, don't do it at all."
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby thestoatyone » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:56 pm

To add to what 9A is saying, doing heavy/high-rep/stuff-to-the-point-of-failure stuff everyday is a no-no. Doing some stuff everyday for mobility and generally increasing activity levels is a definite yes. Give it a go, if it really starts hurting in joints, or you show other signs of over-training then can it...
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby Asleep on a sunbeam » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:46 pm

ninearms wrote:
Asleep on a sunbeam wrote:

Doing those 3 every day would be a good thing. You don't have to do a lot, just do the movements. A good way is to just do them as your warmups before moving on to the harder stuff, and on your days "off" just do your warmup.

As Dan says: "If it is important, do it every day. If it's not important, don't do it at all."

Should I be doing the movements weighted or not if it's a warm up?
I presume get ups are simply TGU's (but in this case without weights)
I tried clicking on their video to check but I can't make the URL work.
BOOYAH!
Asleep on a sunbeam

Postby Asleep on a sunbeam » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:59 pm

So Goblet squats:
Does my back need to be straight?
How low down do I need to go?
Is it usual to fall over when doing them? (Not that I would ever do anything so ungraceful! :oops: )

Cheers:)

Edit:
Problems with squatting:
I'd have hoped these would have gotton better at least a little bit by now.
When I squat all the way down, bottom in line with knees, my knee tendants, mainly the left knee, move around, it feels wrong, and I'm scared of hurting myself.
Sometimes I also fall forwards or backwards. Should I just not go that low yet? And hope to build up to it?
BOOYAH!
Asleep on a sunbeam

Postby ninearms » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:56 pm

Asleep on a sunbeam wrote:So Goblet squats:
Does my back need to be straight?

Yes

How low down do I need to go?

Down to the bottom :D

Is it usual to fall over when doing them? (Not that I would ever do anything so ungraceful! :oops: )

Usual, but not expected. Watch this video. (Dan John again).

As for the warmup/rest day stuff, just do a couple of easy sets (with your KBs), something like 5 goblet squats, 10 swings/snatches, and a couple of TGUs. Yes, you could leave the KBs out for the TGUs and just use them as movement practice.
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Asleep on a sunbeam » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:23 pm

Today's video (which is the first video) :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_O1qcWXlck
Start(post warm up recommended by NA+stretching):
as many wide handed press ups as I can do (31)

Double handed swings 5x12 (single 6kg kettlebell)
10 seconds rest
12KG squats 5x12
10 seconds rest
Halos 5 x12 (each side)
20 seconds rest
Windmills 5x12 (each side)
30 seconds rest
Press ups (hands below shoulders) 5x12
30 seconds rest (repeat)

Final (30 seconds rest turned into 2 minutes rest)
Finish-1 minutes of bicycle crunches
20 seconds rest
What ever that last thing in this video is called (0.32)
30seconds

I should explain I broke the halos and squats up because I wanted the squats to be heavier. I thus did all the squats in one go and all of the halos (12 each way) in one go before tackling the windmills.
I should also add my form was way off during the windmills as I only realised half way through set 3 that I should have been keeping my eyes on the kettlebell.
But form will come with time, and this is one of the reasons I'm starting off with a 6kg kettlebell. I want to get my form right and then keep it right, rather than have it wrong with the wrong weights.

My chest all ready shows some minor gains, which is nice, and my shoulders feel better. More than that I can feel my posture in general improving a little bit, with my shoulders being more up right instead of just hanging there.
BOOYAH!
Asleep on a sunbeam

Postby Asleep on a sunbeam » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:20 pm

Not done a proper workout for a while now. I had a heavy rucksack of shopping to carry back on one day. I had to then carry most of that on the train another. Then I was away for a few days, got back and my shoulder started playing up.
Just doing the goblet squats TGU's (non-weighted) and swings today.
Then hopefully the first video tomorrow (after the above).
BOOYAH!
Asleep on a sunbeam

Postby Asleep on a sunbeam » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:08 pm

I'm taking a break before my final set today and I found this (when trying to make sure I did renegade rows correctly).

Obviously I'm no expert (I wouldn't be asking if I were :P ) but surely if you're doing that you won't get as much out of them for both your upper body and core?

It's my first time really trying them.

Thanks for any comments on this, or general mistakes people make when doing them :) .

Edit:
Actually thinking about it I was kind of doing what he was saying, I think because maybe I'm not doing it as much as that and he's over exaggerating it I got the wrong idea.
I kind of naturally put most of my weight onto the side I'm not lifting.
I'm also trying to not let my hips rotate at all. The hardest thing is putting it down gently.
Last edited by Asleep on a sunbeam on Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOOYAH!
Asleep on a sunbeam

Postby Asleep on a sunbeam » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:34 pm

12x5

Swings (doubles) (15 instead of 12)
Squats (single kb)
Halos (12 each way)
Windmills
Around the worlds. (12 each way)
Renegade rows. (8 each side)

1x4
TGU's (2 each side at the end)

trying to get better at snatches:

I now know that I'm not doing them completely correctly. My back and my left bicep started to hurt when doing that side (after about 3 of those things, doing 2 high poles or whatever they are) on my right side).

And er...maybe I shouldn't mention this, just under a minute of burpees pant pant.

I'm kind of annoyed because I want to do more weights right now, but I have to wait 2 days. I'd much rather weight [train] for 2 days (not straight :oops: ) instead though.
BOOYAH!
Asleep on a sunbeam

Postby baldy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:51 pm

I dunno but will add them to my next KB workout, they look like fun.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Asleep on a sunbeam » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:03 pm

baldy wrote:I dunno but will add them to my next KB workout, they look like fun.

Which video are you referring to, the rowing one or the one with the different way of doing snatches?
Be careful with them, maybe it's just me but they seem easy to get wrong.

The fact that he says "get a light kettlebell" and I'm just there thinking "can't really get much lighter can I?" might be to do with it though.

I am strongly considering getting a heavier kettle bell sooner rather than later. As soon as I find a job...:P .
BOOYAH!
Asleep on a sunbeam

Postby Asleep on a sunbeam » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:23 pm

12 x 5

snatch (each arm)
clean and press (each arm)
Double kettlebell swings (as always, 15 and not 12 for these)
figure 8's (each way)

Ending:
As many TGU's I can do, alternating sides after going up and back down (managed 7 each side, felt like I might be able to do more but didn't want to risk smashing my head in with a kettlebell)

Supermans 1 minute 10.

When doing Goblet squats, how can I tell if my back is straight or not?
Also, do the swings exercise the back as well?
BOOYAH!
Asleep on a sunbeam

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs