First 8.25 KM/ 5Mile run today!

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

First 8.25 KM/ 5Mile run today!

Postby Veenessar » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:18 pm

So, I wanted to just tell everyone that I completed my 1st 8.25 KM/5 Mile run today (on a treadmill)

Think I averaged at about 7.3 km/h!

Started off strong but had to stick to about 9.0-9.5 km/h for the last 30 mins. I also had to slow for some time to wipe away sweat and drink!
Felt pumped from it, drank lots of water.

Is this a good start? How could I improve on this?- maybe repeat atleast once a week?
Also- what are good food s to eat afterwards- I've been eating bananas and protein (nuts, tofu based dishes etc) within 2hrs after exercise.

thanks!-Vee
"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people in the world?"
Veenessar

Re: First 8.25 KM/ 5Mile run today!

Postby soniczip » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:22 am

well done! the first result is always good ... it's your pb after all.

you can improve by training regularly, i'd say at least 3 times a week. balance your training sessions between longer and shorter runs. example: 5k, 8k, 12k. include a speed training once every two weeks.

above all: run outside! much better, more motivating. enter a race, you'll find yourself running much faster than in trainings.

these are just the basics, but you can find more accurate training plans online.

foodwise, i'm not an expert, but i'd say carbohydrates are fine. a good habit would be to replenish your liquid intake and eat a banana or two soon after the run/race and then fix yourself a larger meal aftwrward.

good luck :D
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby Veenessar » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:10 pm

Thankyou very much :)

what's pb!? (probably a very stupid question sorry!)
yes... i want to keep it up at least twice a week. Interesting you say that you run further outside- I started freerunning in fields etc and found I could just keep going and going... my shins didn't like me much that day because of the un-even terrain lmao. I use walkjogrun to map how far I run/walk. Only think is it's not too accurate and only estimates/averages your speeds etc.
A lady at work told me about this thing she has in the bottom of her Nike trainers and it tells her how far she ran, speed etc!! I was *amazed* by that
The reason I like to run on treadmills is that I can keep an eye on my speed and distance... not that it really matters I suppose as long as I run as much as feels comfortable! But it's god to set goals... for me anyway. I ran 5 miles when I was only going to run about half that... just through setting little number goals as I was running.

Thanks for the advice :) xxx
Veenessar

Postby soniczip » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:44 pm

hello again :D

pb stands for personal best.

if you want to keep track of your speed, distance, heart rate and many other things while enjoying nature, you can use one of the many heart rate gps devices. i use a garmin forerunner:

a bit expensive but worth all the money. alternatively you can use what the lady at work was probably talking about, i.e. a heart rate monitor with footpad, which is less expensive but also less accurate. i have a polar, but tend not to use it because the pad is a pain in the a.. (ehm) shoe:

good luck 8)
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby Veenessar » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:46 pm

oooh they look looovely!! ...but the price! *gulp* lol!!!
Thanks for those though, I'll have to save up for one of those me thinks! I think they'd be really useful.

Thanks Ilovecake :D
When I first ran outside I was taken-aback because it was SO different to treadmill running and I absolutley loved it. I thought to myself " Whty do I run on a treadmill"!? lol! But yes, going to have to run some more outside. - take my dogs too! They'll love the exercise :D xxx
Veenessar

Postby runner » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:26 am

You can use mapmyrun a free website. Here you can get the distance and with a 5euro watch you can do the rest.
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Return to Vegan Runners