During VFW we were talking about good seitan recipes, and this burger recipe is one of the best and simplest. Lovely texture and very chewy.
(Taken directly out of Veganomicon... if you don't have it I highly recommend you get it!).
1 cup cooked chickpeas
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup wheat gluten
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (oats also work)
1/4 water or vegetable broth
2 tblsp soy sauce
2 gloves of garlic, grated
optional: lemon zest, lime juice, herbs, spices
1. Mash/Food process the chickpeas & the oil until no whole chickpeas are left.
2. Mix in the remaining wet ingredients.
3. Mix in the wheat gluten and the breadcrumbs.
4. Knead the mixture for a few minutes until all ingredients are mixed together and it resembles stringy dough
5. Divide mixture into 4 equal pieces
6. Knead each peice again and work into a circle shape then flatten out to form a burger
7. Fry each side with a little oil for around 5 minutes, alternatively you can brush with oil and bake each side for around 15 minutes at 190C.
Looks something like this (but try not to burn them like I did