Perseverance Log

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Perseverance Log

Postby KaliBaby » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:43 am

It's time for a fresh start... again. This is my fourth training log here. I'm back in Jersey for an unknown amount of time (maybe a year?). Currently job hunting and trying to get back into the swing of things. After the chaos of quitting my job and fleeing India in May, and having to leave my boyfriend in England again, my motivation and clarity seriously suffered once I got home.

Thankfully, I have an in-person interview scheduled for next Wednesday. It's for a teaching associate position. I really want to teach abroad but many organizations and schools require at least 1 year teaching experience which I don't have. I'm also technically not certified to teach, fortunately the job I'm being interviewed for doesn't require that. So this is my plan: secure some sort of teaching job, take whatever tests are needed when they are available to get certified to teach, and when the time is ready -- get out of the U.S. and explore another part of the world! I'd like to teach something along the lines of peace and conflict studies, conflict resolution, and/or non-violent transformations of conflict, etc in the Middle East... especially with all the revolutionary activity and civil struggle going on in the Arab world. We'll see how it goes, all I can do for now is work hard and try my best to make my dreams come true :wink:

As for training, I joined a gym today. It's a bit more than 4.5 miles away, a nice bike ride along the beach. Baldy and ninearms would love this place -- over-tanned guidos and juiceheads like whoa. I was waiting to see Pauly D or The Situation any minute. The gym is grungy, "hardcore", and I love it.

I borrowed a small Valeo belt today and it fit like a glove. I'm a bit confused with the weights though. The labels are inconsistent - kgs or lbs and sometimes both or not even marked. My deadlifts were all sorts of messed up today. After doing (more like attempting) the math when I came home, apparently I hit around 105kg again which is awesome since I haven't lifted that heavy in months!

No training plan in mind exactly, would like to work on deadlifts and catch up to Linnéa after she totally blew me away with her 115kg lift! Crackpipe goal = deadlift twice my bodyweight by the end of this year :twisted:

cardio: 45+ minutes biking to and from gym (a little under 10 miles)

deadlifts: 2X5 69+kg, 82+kg, 3X 91kg, 1X 100.09(?)kg, 1X 104.6+(?)kg
DB incline chest press: 3X10 15lbs
DB shoulder press: 3X10 15lbs
barbell bench press: 3X10 40lbs
DB single arm bent over rows: 2X10 20lbs each arm
assisted dips and close-grip chin ups: first round 5 reps each, second round 6 reps each
abs: leg raises, scissors, stability exercise, captain's chair

The ocean was awesome today, played in the waves with my brother. He goes back to school in a month, it's nice spending time with him. I missed him! It feels nice to be home again.
Last edited by KaliBaby on Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Re: 2XBW Deadlift Jersey Shore Style

Postby soniczip » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:20 am

i'm happy to see you restart a log and another chapter of your life. changing is not always easy but can bring freshness and motivation :D i'm expecting to see a lot of running as well, right? :wink: ... i (we) missed you in austria :(
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby Rochellita » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:19 am

That was a whole lot of change that happened very quickly, as change often does. It sounds like you have some very clear life goals and with clarity and the fact that you are Kalibaby, I think you can go exactly where you want to go.

As for the the double BW deadlift, good luck! Linnea has really set the standard hasn't she :D

Good luck with the interview.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:49 am

KaliBaby wrote:No training plan in mind exactly, would like to work on deadlifts and catch up to Linnéa after she totally blew me away with her 115kg lift! Crackpipe goal = deadlift twice my bodyweight by the end of this year :twisted:

You should have heard the trash talking that took place at VFW! Gym sounds pretty hardcore, why not just get a job in a tshirt shop no stress and plenty of time to hit Bamboo in the evenings!
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby thestoatyone » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:46 am

Double bw dead = solid goal. Bring it!
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby vegan hal » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:22 pm

nice to see you back Kalibaby! this will quickly become the most popular log i'm sure. sorry Baldy.

terrific goals all around -- fitness and life!

maybe we need a race to 2xBW deadlift. i'm still 35lbs (16kg) away. but that's a long way off.
vegan hal

Postby ninearms » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:24 pm

Excellent goal. However, none of these fit with said goal.

KaliBaby wrote:DB incline chest press: 3X10 15lbs
DB shoulder press: 3X10 15lbs
barbell bench press: 3X10 40lbs
DB single arm bent over rows: 2X10 20lbs each arm
assisted dips and close-grip chin ups: first round 5 reps each, second round 6 reps each
abs: leg raises, scissors, stability exercise, captain's chair.

Please rectify.

Kind regards,

Dr Ninearms
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby KaliBaby » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:00 am

thanks you guys! 8)
soniczip wrote:i'm expecting to see a lot of running as well, right? :wink: ... i (we) missed you in austria :(

I went on a long bike ride with my brother today, hopefully you'll approve Mr. Cyclist! It looks like you all had fun at VFW, I'm sad I missed it :(
baldy wrote:You should have heard the trash talking that took place at VFW! Gym sounds pretty hardcore, why not just get a job in a tshirt shop no stress and plenty of time to hit Bamboo in the evenings!

hahaha I can only imagine the kind of trash talk I missed! definitely planning some Seaside nights with my girls soon.
ninearms wrote:Excellent goal. However, none of these fit with said goal...

I know, it was random. Let me get used to the gym a little more. I just don't stick well with routines or set lifting schedules. Tell me which exercises to help my deadlifting and I'll make sure to do them.
vegan hal wrote:maybe we need a race to 2xBW deadlift. i'm still 35lbs (16kg) away. but that's a long way off.

Well if I stay around 63-64kg, I've got 21-23kg to go. Hopefully this is something feasible by the end of the year.

My back is sore from yesterday. Deadlifts are so delicious that I can't help jumping into heavier lifts even though it's probably not the right timing. Went for a nice bike ride along the beach with my brother. The wind coming back was brutal!

cardio: 68 minutes biking

Off to a party now. It will be nice to see my gang of friends again. I'm hoping my flip cup skills are still intact!
KaliBaby

Postby Linnéa76 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:03 am

Welcome back studette! I missed you at VFW. I see you're lifting 105 already, wanna race to 2BW? :D
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby KaliBaby » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:05 pm

You only have 5kg more to go Linnéa, that's not a fair race! :P

Friday night's party was a lot of fun. I'm still a flip cup champ (although I did lose by 1 cup in my last game, at that point I was pretty gone). Saturday I took it easy with a hangover and my back was still pretty sore. Sat in the jacuzzi for a bit which helped my back but it was too hot to stay in there for long.

Went for a long slow jog today -- through some neighborhood streets and then beach side, jogged the entirety of the town's boardwalk up and down and then circled back the way I started out.

cardio: 5+ miles 59:24

My brother and I are headed to the beach now. Can't wait to jump in the water after that run!
KaliBaby

Postby Mellos » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:36 am

KaliBaby wrote:Friday night's party was a lot of fun.

reminds me of a song that i have been tortured with today for way too many hours
Current PBs:
195 kg SQ, 130 kg Bench, 245 kg DL, 200 kg SQ w/ wraps

Long Term Goals:
@ 75 kg: SQ - 252,5 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 267,5 kg, DL - 307,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 710
@ 82,5 kg: SQ - 275 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 277,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 772,5 kg

Team Insanity - The Laws of Physics are Merely a Suggestion
Mellos

Postby KaliBaby » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:21 am

Mellos wrote:
KaliBaby wrote:Friday night's party was a lot of fun.

reminds me of a song that i have been tortured with today for way too many hours

haha which one?

Went for a nice stroll with Brutus today around the lake. Hit up the beach with my brother but the water was way too icy to enjoy. Came back to the jacuzzi but it was too hot. We can't win!

So... I'm aware my numbers are low at the moment but given that I haven't really been in the gym for almost 2 months, it's better to build back up then to rush things.

cardio: 45+/- minutes biking to gym (under 10 miles roundtrip)

squats: 10X bar, 5X5 55, 55, 65, 65, 75 lbs, 10X bar to finish
DB alternating bicep curls: 3X10 15 lbs
DB alternating hammer curls: 3X10 15 lbs
DB overhead tricep extensions: 3X10 20 lbs
barbell curls: 2X10 30 lbs
lat pulldowns: 2X10 60, 70 lbs
kettlebell swings: 2X10 30, 35 lbs
assisted close grip chin ups: 2X8
assisted dips: 2X8
plank on bosu: 1 minute
knee tucks with bosu: 2X25
KaliBaby

Postby Rochellita » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:16 am

KaliBaby wrote:
So... I'm aware my numbers are low at the moment but given that I haven't really been in the gym for almost 2 months, it's better to build back up then to rush things.

Mine are too, we can motivate each other to get to some decent weights :D Do you have a programme?
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby Linnéa76 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:44 pm

KaliBaby wrote:You only have 5kg more to go Linnéa, that's not a fair race! :P

Well I'll admit that 126-128 kg is quite a lot, for some reason I was thinking that you weigh a bit less than me. :?
I'm going to focus on the sqat for a while now so you'll get a headstart to 120 kg. :)
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby Rach » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:31 am

great to see you logging again and looking forward to seeing your 2xbw dead, go for it! :D
Rach

Next

Return to Training Logs