Facebook deleting vegans???? Grrrrrr!!!!!

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Facebook deleting vegans???? Grrrrrr!!!!!

Postby mabli » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:38 pm

Heard of quite a few folk having their facebook accounts disabled recently, happened to a couple of vegan friends and its just happened to me. Ive got to prove my name by sending ID in... just seems dodgy, given that Im not actually using a false name anyway.

Conspiracy theories abound...
mabli

Re: Facebook deleting vegans???? Grrrrrr!!!!!

Postby soniczip » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:07 pm

mmm, sounds strange! why should they ban vegans? i am safe, i don't use facebook and cannot be banned :wink:
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby baldy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:25 pm

Sounds like a good reason to delete your facebook account :wink:
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby mabli » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:59 pm

:D

I know, I have a choice of sending my photographic ID to prove I am who I say I am or losing contact with folk, some of whom I only message and meet up with through fb, I dont even keep folk's telephone numbers now... bother!!
mabli

Postby vegan hal » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:22 pm

that's pretty crazy! i wonder if it is just a coincidence. my wife in on FB and haven;t heard of any issues. I've stayed away from it.
vegan hal

Postby moggy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:29 pm

I dont know much about facebook, but are you sure that ts nothing dodgy going on, like someone trying to get more personal details from you. I'm vary of anyone asking for too much info over the net.
It took just 3 words to make me vegan- Put Calves First
moggy

Postby barnz2k » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:45 pm

Did your friends have a V or Vegan or V in a circle in their name?
barnz2k

Postby Gastroplodder » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:52 am

This does seem odd! Loads of people use obviously fake IDs on facebook and they don't seem to care - it's still people looking at the adverts and that's what it's all about really.

If I had my account disabled I think the first thing I'd do is ask them directly 'why me in particular?' - it may just turn out to be some random security thing (like when Yahoo suddenly decides to ask for my password after automatically logging me in for weeks).
Probably the fastest vegan elf at Abingdon parkrun

http://gastroplodder.vegebear.com/blog
Gastroplodder

Postby Konstantin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:34 pm

TBH I think the idea of sending ID is very concerning. I think I've seen you on FB and your name is not unbelievable, so this seems unneccesary. If you make a list of people you're on FB with, could you contact them again if you get de-registered?

The odd thing is I know someone who made up fake IDs so they could message people on 'like' groups for products tested on animals. No problems whatsoever.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby mabli » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:45 pm

Sorry it does seem a bit irrational that they picking on me for being vegan, I was probably having a bad day yesterday, it must just be chance that I know vegans and they happen to be being removed at the minute.

Its probable that someone has complained that Im using a fake name, I assume its the same pig farmer who we think reported friends so they were removed... seems they react immediately when its someone like me, using my own name, not being offensive, just posting pictures of walks and cake recipes, yet when folk complain about offensive material or posts from animal abusers nothing gets done... grrrrrr!!!!

Ive sent a copy of my driving license but hidden my address etc, if that wont do then Im not giving anything else so will form another account.

One friend who was removed was told he couldnt use a picture of a seal for his profile but for some reason they're ok with a picture of a dog...

You cant contact facebook, everything is automated.
mabli

Postby Johnstuff » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:00 pm

That sucks if you have to use your real name, I don't wanna put my real name on FB. I'd assume you could have any pic you like as a profile. I've not read the rules though.
"these songs of guidance never stop the violence, we need strong defiance"
Johnstuff

Postby mabli » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:11 pm

They let me back on a couple of days ago and said they were sorry they'd made a mistake...
mabli

Postby VeganRabbit » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:18 am

What a weird story... At first, I was shocked that facebook removed vegans as if they were a sort of blemish to the platform. Then I was shockend that you absolutely had to use your real name and send them a copy of your driver's license to get back in. And now I am just wondering what all this is about. Why do they care so much for the real names? I mean, they get almost all the data they want, so they could at least permit not to use one's real name... In your shoes, I wouldn't have sent them any piece of identity, but I would have quit facebook... In Germany, almost anyone uses a false name on facebook... So, this seems quite suspicious to me...
VeganRabbit

Return to General Discussion