Long distance is where it's at - fact!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: downhilling demon's MTB log

Postby bob_summers » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:50 am

:-(

It sucks when work gets in the way... hopefully your motivation will go through the roof while you're slogging away. Keep us posted. Since I'm off the MTB for the foreseeable, I kinda rely on living vicariously through your pics!
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:04 am

downhillingdemon wrote:No time, no time! Have been working non-stop since last Monday.

baahhhh! Sorry to hear that. :evil: Hope it goes well!
Mr. Cleetus

Postby downhillingdemon » Thu May 26, 2011 10:32 am

Sorry all - been riding loads lately, but just haven't had the time or inspiration to blog.

Quick update though - squats are still trundling along on the extended program and I have been meeting my targets each week. Nothing major in terms of weight to report, but I think I am starting to get used to working easily within the 50-60 kg range which is nice.

Biking, well - I lost the love, for about 3 days. Then the love came flooding back and this week I've pulled off quite a few things with relative ease that surprised me. Stuff that I honestly thought I'd never be able to do. :D

Here's a wee pic of a ladder drop - much bigger than it looks in the pic and I may have added some extra pop on take-off. It was one of those drops where you actually have time to think 'oh fuck, I'm still in the air and the transition was about 2 meters ago :lol: '

"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Fri May 27, 2011 1:25 am

downhillingdemon wrote:... - much bigger than it looks in the pic ....
:shock: :!: awesome, well done. Good to have you back.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Alistar » Fri May 27, 2011 1:31 am

Yeah nice work DHD! I've always wondering how you go over things like those. I wouldn't be too game to try, I must say! Looks like you're nearly beating me in the chin ups too! Welcome back btw :)
Alistar

Postby downhillingdemon » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:20 pm

Ok, I really am back now. Or at least, I will be from tomorrow. Honest!

Few linky's here:

Rear headcam of Ribbesford

Rear headcam of Cwmcarn - me FINALLY FINALLY doing the road drop in style! Woot! I can't tell you how long that has been my nemesis! :mrgreen:

A bit of Hitchcock - me filming the guys - except I encounter some rather aggressive vegetation which kicked me off the trail

Wasn't a massive crash, but I did pull a hamstring and get a bit of gravel rash on my knee. Which then became rather infected on Saturday and I have spent the weekend bandaged up and not riding. That will teach me for not wearing knee pads. I had moved toward the 'pfft, it's just a bit of XC, I don't need pads' mentality......never again. It's lost me four days of decent riding and a squat session (which means I'm going to have to drop back on the program now).

downhillingdemon

Postby Frostfire » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:42 am

Whoa. Okay, first off what amazing videos! That was so cool to watch, thanks for posting :) . Second, wow, that knee looks sore :( . When watching the video, it was so innocuous when you crashed! It hardly seemed like you went off trail at all until the camera angled down and there is you and the bike on the ground. I was happy to see your friends wait for you to catch up though :) . Get better soon!!
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby downhillingdemon » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:04 pm

Thanks Frostfire - it's all healed up nicely now :)

Have been back out pedalling as well as DHilling recently. Was going to be really good and log every ride, but keep failing miserably in that respect. I don't know why my blogging inspiration has totally disappeared, I think it's just the massive shortage of time.
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:48 pm

Right - lets see if I can remember what I have done this week. I'm trying to get my weekly mileage back up to around 50 miles as it'll give me a good base to work from if I ever get round to doing a 24 hr solo.

Friday
Saturday - 5 hr push about at the FoD - did a big ol table and a rather large double/triple...was amazed at how much confidence I had in the mud, considering it's been so dry lately - I'll see if I can get some screenshots up.
Sunday - 1.5 hours in the morning to get some miles in before visiting mountain mayhem, then another 1.5 in the evening test riding the rebuilt Marin Attack. Decision made, it's too heavy! Now just need to decide on what 140 mm fs to replace him with......(oh, and save the money)
Monday - 30 mins on bike at gym (moderate intensity) then squat/pull session
Tuesday - Hills for an hour and a half blast (8 miles, 500 meters climbing)
Wednesday - Hills for an hour 50 mins - pretty decent session showing a friend round. (8.7 miles, 600 meters climbing)
Thursday - rest
Friday - rode full pelt to bike shop n back at lunch (about 40 mins riding??) then gym with 10 mins on bike before pressing session. Pressing was hard, could tell I've ridden all week and not really pressed properly for a month!
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:54 pm

Here's the screen shots :)

Triple:

Table:
downhillingdemon

Postby bob_summers » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:38 pm

¡Impresionante!
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby downhillingdemon » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:28 pm

Saturday - couple of hours XC on some slippy clayey trails. Technically much less work than I was expecting. About 10-12 miles I think.

Sunday - Hopton uplift. I was scared by the prospect, but it went a whole lot better than I was expecting. Managed to get a few nice lines dialled and generally had a laugh with friends in the sunshine. Still struggling to work out what the fuck is going on with the back end of my bike after a recent shock service, but it didn't slow me down.....much

Spent all day on the main line just trying to get used to this new planted feeling bike, but, if I am honest, I preferred it before and I prefer pop to traction. I'm gonna give it a month's trial and, if it still feels wrong, the shock is going back to be re-tweaked. I suspect with perseverance I'll get used to it though. Maybe it'll even make me a better rider ;)
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:16 pm

Monday - rest day, rather battered from the uplift!

Tuesday - Squat day - got my reps, but had got talked into doing a few singles by a certain VF'r on FB. After a huge volume of work (free 20 reps, 20 kg: 10, 10, 30 kg: 5, 5, 40 kg: 5, 50 kg: 5, 55 kg: 5, 5) I was surprised at how easy 62.5 kg flew up. Totally got stuck in the hole with 70 kg though and bluddy hell my spotter made me work for it :lol:

Wednesday - 11 mile ride with a new ladies group in Malvern. The front girls kept quite a pace, but it was great to have someone to chase. It surprised me yet again that these really talented ladies couldn't jump. What is it with ladies and not jumping, they certainly have the ability, they just never seem to have the belief/want to do it. Was a great evening though, nice people and lovely just cruising along chatting. :D
downhillingdemon

Postby JP » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:14 pm

you still have your squatting strength :)
JP
Site Admin

Postby downhillingdemon » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:58 pm

Cheers JP, yeah, I kind of keep the rep strength pretty well, even with training so irregularly. I don't feel the need to keep pushing the weights up rapidly to be honest, just doing the beltless reps works my core strength and legs more than enough for riding. I am surprised at the strength I seem to keep hold of though, muscle memory is a wonderful thing!

Thursday - tired after a disturbed nights sleep, very early start and very long work day. So was pretty pleased I made the effort to get down the gym. Was going to ride out originally, but realised I was just that tired the chances of me crashing were pretty high :lol:
-30 mins on stationary bike - moderate intensity
-Bench
downhillingdemon

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs