Illinois Agility Test

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Illinois Agility Test

Postby Andrewc » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:35 pm

As a couple of people here may be aware I've begun to take steps towards becoming a police officer. Personal opinions about law enforcement aside, I figure this could be a reasonable place to get some tips and advice on preparing for this part of the fitness test.

One of the fitness tests is to complete the Illinois Agility Test. The required goal is to complete this course in under 20 seconds. Obviously this will be made easier with specific training, but my question is;
A) Has any body here trained or used this course before and have any specific preparation tips?
B) Is this a reasonably achievable target?
C) From a cardiovascular/fitness perspective I'm currently playing basketball (sprints) twice per week, and cycling 15kms most days on a single geared bike. Will beep test/shuttle run style sprints also be a good supplementary exercise for this?

This is the course as provided by the police.
Andrewc

Re: Illinois Agility Test

Postby Fallen_Horse » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:18 am

Not to be too blunt, but unless Illinois cops are different than cops in other states, I don't think that test can be TOO hard. :)
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby Konstantin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:53 am

Looking at your training and level of fitness, if cops get through, I can only assume you will. But if you have any doubts, why not try the test on your own? It seems like it would be easy enough to set it up and as long as you can time it, you'll have a pretty good idea of how achievable it actually is.

I would guess that people who would struggle to complete that would be overweight or have trouble moving on their feet due to some injury. If you play basketball and therefore can change direction, I would guess that you'll be fine. Other than that there may be a little bit of technique to learn on some of the changes in direction.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby Talyn » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:10 am

That looks really interesting.

I think your basketball training and running a beep test would be sufficient, you'd mainly want to practice your dead stop/180's. The thing that first sprung to my mind when seeing the circles was squash...

I can't give you any specific advice for it though, other than if you're concerned about your time on it go comandeer a basketball court, set up a makeshift test yourself and see how you go.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby Andrewc » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:17 pm

Cheers. I plan to routinely practice the course, I think I'll focus on shaving time by making efficient turns and changing direction, I guess it is an AGILITY test as well as speed.
Andrewc

Postby vegan hal » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:48 pm

don't think you'll have a problem. the funny thing about this, is at least in the states, when training to be a PO, you have to be super fit, but as soon as they get the gig, they spend they're time in the doughnut shops and the belt and pants are ready to expand. haha. just kidding, not all cops.

good luck. be one of the good ones.
vegan hal

Postby runrevolt » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:17 am

Cops are sworn to protect animal abusers. I hope you fail the test.
http://www.runvegan.wordpress.com
runrevolt

Postby Andrewc » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:36 am

vegan hal wrote:don't think you'll have a problem. the funny thing about this, is at least in the states, when training to be a PO, you have to be super fit, but as soon as they get the gig, they spend they're time in the doughnut shops and the belt and pants are ready to expand. haha. just kidding, not all cops.

good luck. be one of the good ones.

Haha. I can see that in a number of cops here, if they're not fat they're much like the officers I know who are all quite skinny and weak. Although your fitness is supposedly retested twice per year.
Andrewc

Postby Goob » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:22 am

I remember a news story years ago about a police cheof that lost his job because he sent out an email that said something like "we didn't hire you unfit, so we don't want you unfit now" and gave advice to get back in shape. I don't remember the whole story, but some tubby bastard complained and he lost his job over it.
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby baldy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:19 am

Andrewc wrote:Cheers. I plan to routinely practice the course, I think I'll focus on shaving time by making efficient turns and changing direction, I guess it is an AGILITY test as well as speed.

I remember a similar test they used for NFL, from the movie strong by Joe DeFranco Strong. Something about starting with the correct leg forward saving a few seconds. Based on that I guess there is lots of technical stuff that can be done to get a faster time.

How does the test work is it pass fail or does getting a better time count?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Andrewc » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:00 pm

Excellent recommendation. I'm required to achieve a sub 20 second score. Online standards about this course indicate this will be easy but I won't take it too passively. I've passed all of my exams and advanced through the selection process, so I'll pick up some cones and start training specifically for this.
Andrewc

Postby KjKranz » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:42 pm

Good luck dude, although I don't think you'll need it :)
KjKranz

Postby crapiecorn » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:41 pm

How do they feel about visible tattoo's ? Here in Belgium it's a valid reason to reject a candidate.
crapiecorn

Postby Andrewc » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:37 am

Thanks.

I thankfully have a good relationship with an ex girlfriend's family, and her elder brother happens to be a high ranking police officer here. He tells me my tattoos will be fine, at worst I'll just have to wear a long sleeve shirt. I have a couple of small tattoos on each side of my neck which I'll have removed via laser if necessary.
Andrewc

Postby knackers » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:12 am

Hey Andrew, good luck with the new career. I train self defence with some folks who are just about to enter the acadamy over the next couple of intakes. How do you feel about the shift roster? Ive been lookin into it myself but have been holding back due to the paycut
“Animals do have a voice. If you ignore their suffering, I will remind you of it. If you don't understand them, I will translate. If you don't hear them, I will be their voice. You may silence them but you cannot silence me as long as I live.” ~ Anita Mahdessian (C
knackers

Next

Return to Vegan Runners