Honeymoon location help...

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Honeymoon location help...

Postby xrodolfox » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:54 pm

OK. The facts:

1) Melissa and I are going to celebrate our 10yr Anniversary this July.
2) We've been saving some $$$ to go on our honeymoon, but we are still pretty broke and have only around $1200 saved. We would be able to spend a tiny bit more on food/etc.
3) We are both vegan
4) We want to go somewhere *boring* so that we can focus on one another.
5) We have a week to spend.
6) We have enough airline miles saved to go anywhere in the world, but right now, we'd rather stay in the continental USA and save the miles to visit my family in Chile next year, but we are open to anything. However, we *could* go anywhere if we can afford it once we are there and if it fits the bill.

We've been looking for a honeymoon/vacation destination for the last two months, and we've found only bad leads. Melissa doesn't want to be tied into a package, and I want PRIVACY and someplace with a pool/water/hot tub/etc.

I NEED HELP! We need to finally decide where we will go in a few days.

My questions are simple:
Where do we go?
Where do we stay?

If you have a house we can rent, or a friend's spa you can suggest, I'm down. Right now, the best lead we have is Melissa's birth mother's sister's new husband's place (srsly) in Sedona AZ... and that's not much of a lead at all.
I will take any serious suggestions.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Re: Honeymoon location help...

Postby Rochellita » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:31 pm

How lovely, congratulations on making 10 years! I think Sedona is really a really romantic location, I loved it there and stayed in a lovely hotel with a lovely pool and spa where you could sit and stare at the red rocks. I also think Estes Park was really nice and Colorado in general. This is just from a non-American perspective so not a lot of use.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby loveliberate » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:09 am

Rodolfo,

I got lots of suggestions for y'all! But mostly I suggest coming out to Cascadia and spending at least a few hours visiting with me! $1200 seems like a nice chunk of cash for just the two of you to have a "boring" week... Maybe you could offer some more info about your interests, desires and preferences to help me narrow things down?

To get the ball rolling:
http://www.bluebirdguesthouse.com
or
http://www.breitenbush.com
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.corneredcat.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby xrodolfox » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:57 pm

^ Great questions. What we really need is frickin' vegan travel agent. Of course, there's barely any real travel agents left in the first place.

We know more of what we *don't want*.

We DON'T want a city. Too much to do. (I love art museums, and I'd get too distracted).
We DO WANT natural beauty.
We DON'T want a B&B (Melissa is adamant).
We DON'T want lots of other guests. (A few guests is fine, but we aren't looking for a party or a family place.)
WE (really just me) wants a swimming pool or some body of water that is reasonable to swim in easily accessible.
We LIKE shopping for books/clothes, especially abroad, and if there's that, it would be awesome.
We DON'T want anyplace with interesting historical monuments, because I know myself, and I would quickly explore ALL OF IT, learn every bit of history, instead of paying attention to my wife.

In this honeymoon, we would love to watch a lot of campy movies on cable TV. We like to also eat lots of fun vegan food, not necessarily the healthy kind. I love museums, but it would be to be away from all sorts of things like that. We do not want to do any guided tours, and I am not a fan of actually being out in nature, unless it is something benign like a private waterfall or river or beach. Not fans of scuba, or birding, or anything like that.

...thus... the more boring the location the better. No museums. No history. Just shopping, lounging around, privacy, and cable TV... and of course, lots of tasty vegan food.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:00 pm

Also, the Breitenbush Hot Spring place looks like it is 90% of what I am looking for!
I will show Melissa. She seems not to be into hot springs. I don't know why. But it is a really good start. Any personal recommendations goes a long way.

ps. I've looked at this before. I remember why we didn't stick with it: it's too rustic. We tend to like things a bit more posh: king beds, etc.
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:03 pm

Sounds like you need a cabin in the woods next to a lake, with a car full of vegan junk food and laptop loaded with 3 series of Jersey Shore.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:27 pm

^Holy cow. That's probably right. :lol:

...although realistically, that's what it might come down to, that's not what we are aiming for.
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby fredrikw » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:46 pm

Why not? That's almost how we're spending our summer vacation (not with Jersey Shore though 8)). A cabin in the woods next to a lake with a shitload of vegan food is an excellent way of spending time together.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby xJimx » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:23 pm

Congrats of the matrimonial milestone my good man :D

Funnily enough it's also me & the missus' 10th wedding anniversary next month. I need some ideas too!
DYEL
xJimx

Postby JuicyJ » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:54 pm

First - Happy Anniversary!

I may be bias but I LOVE going to Desert Hot Springs.
It may be, as it is a 2 hour drive from LA and reasonably priced.
And , it is beautiful. Hot with gorgeous mountains in the back round.
The real advantage of Desert Hot Springs is all the small but lush boutique hotels.They all have pools, hot tubs and soakers that are fed by the springs
(Internet and cable too)
Therapeutic and beautiful.
It is quiet but the amenities are modern. Most have awesome treatments too like massage etc. They usually have couples deals etc.
Desert Springs is a a very small , grungy ish town but you never go there.
You can fly into Palm Springs which is about 15 - 20 minutes away.

I always hike early in the AM and lounge and do nothing later at the pools and nap. .Ok I confess I hit the local gym every now and then;))

It is 30 minutes from Joshua Tree and 20 minutes (or less) from Palm Springs so you have access to more nature and the shopping and hustle and bustle if you want. Lots of spa hotels with great services in Palm Springs if you want to do a day trip.
There is a natural grocery store in Palm Springs( I forgot the name - would have to research ) has an awesome vegetarian ,very vegan friendly deli-Natures cafe attached with great food and juice bar etc. http://www.quarrygirl.com/2009/04/29/na ... #more-2916
I wish they would open one in LA .It is that good.
There is also a Native Foods in Palm Springs- A GREAT comfort food Vegan Restaurant- http://www.nativefoods.com/ and
http://www.quarrygirl.com/2008/04/30/na ... he-desert/ .I often go to the desert when I go on a cleanse.
I ALWAYS go to Native Foods the night before
There is even a nudist boutique hotel in the desert if you two really want to bond;). I haven't been there personally , but I have heard "interesting " things.

I have stayed at several of the boutique hotels in the desert. I am actually going next Sunday . Let me know if you want more info.
( I just re read this. I should work for their travel board;))

I am sure there are a lot of gems like this all over the US.
Wherever you go , have a great time!!!
JuicyJ

Postby Rochellita » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:58 pm

fredrikw wrote:Why not? That's almost how we're spending our summer vacation (not with Jersey Shore though 8)). A cabin in the woods next to a lake with a shitload of vegan food is an excellent way of spending time together.

I have to agree- but I'd add a sauna into the equation.

I think often the simplest solutions are the best.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby vegan hal » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:27 am

congrats on the upcoming 10yr Rodolfo. I can't imagine being in Sedona, AZ in July --- hot hot hot! what about a nice cabin on the water in Maine? haven't been there in a very long time, but summer up there used to be incredible. but with those airline mile you have, the sky's the limit.
vegan hal

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:30 am

This thread is so excellent.
OK. We will now start looking for things bit differently. Boutique hotels: Yes. Maine: Yes. Cabins: yes.
It is a lot easier *looking* for places rather than trying to avoid things.

Suggestions of specific boutique hotels, or specific cabin would be most welcome.
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:05 am

might be worth having a look at this:

http://www.elcapitancanyon.com/#

it's a "luxury campground", or, in other words, some very nice cabins. It's a short walk to the beach and maybe 15 miles from Santa Barbara - so somewhat isolated, but not completely. We spent some time there and really enjoyed it.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby JuicyJ » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:52 am

I like this place as the grounds are SO peaceful and zen .http://www.haciendahotsprings.com/
There are only 6 or 7 guest rooms but on the weekend when it is full request a room farthest from the outdoor grill where MEAT :shock: can be cooked.
I have never seen it happen but ya never know. Also they have a library with books,couches and old vinyl which is pretty cool

I stay here when I do a cleanse http://www.the-spring.com/?gclid=CIaMoY ... gwodGHf9gA
This is where the woman runs her program.Most rooms are around the pool which is not honeymoon worthy.
I would definitely stay in the "private mountain view suite " if I was there with a f**k ..oops,I mean lover/wife/husband 8)
You have to call them .Their availability "dates" online are a bit weird .
In Palm Springs I have heard good things about The Miramonte- probably a little more pretentious but their spa is pretty well known.They have 215 rooms.
I am going to go there for a massage next week when I am in the area to check it out. I can tell you more after the 26th .
I only mention this place as you can get 30% off if you book early for some rooms and packages.

Enjoy:)
JuicyJ

Next

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews