vProtein- a tool to find optimum amino acid food pairings

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

vProtein- a tool to find optimum amino acid food pairings

Postby vegimator » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:46 pm

http://www.foodwiki.com/vprotein

I just found this tool and it's pretty neat. You pick a food and it tells you what's the best thing to eat with it to complement its amino acid profile. And it's all vegan!

Some of the results aren't too helpful (apparently it's a good idea to make a meal of 30% by weight macadamia nuts and 70% mustard) but some are (eating a small amount of brazil nuts with your chickpeas is apparently efficient amino acid wise).
vegimator

Re: vProtein- a tool to find optimum amino acid food pairing

Postby xJimx » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:19 pm

Could be useful for some I suppose, but isn't this type of thing perpetuating the myth the we need to combine foods to get adequate protein?
DYEL
xJimx

Re: vProtein- a tool to find optimum amino acid food pairing

Postby vegimator » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:26 pm

xJimx wrote:Could be useful for some I suppose, but isn't this type of thing perpetuating the myth the we need to combine foods to get adequate protein?

I suppose you could see it that way, but i see it more like a way to figure out calorie efficient ways to make sure you're hitting all the essential amino acids (not necessarily in one meal) which would be good if you're trying to burn fat but keep protein up. If you're lifting a lot and are eating massive amounts of food it's probably not too useful though.
vegimator

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating