Timanfaya Dreaming

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Timanfaya Dreaming

Postby IronGirl » Tue May 31, 2011 7:50 pm

Tuesday

1700m swim with 10 x 100m reps

Could feel the extra set of bench press from yesterday.....ouch!

1 hour 20 min run with Poppa dog
around Bringsty Common and Brockhampton Estate.
Poppa was going well but decided she couldn't do the styles today, so more weight lifting for me!!

Off now to make homemade energy bars for tomorrows bike ride.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:00 pm

Wednesday 5 hour Bike
Herefordshire to Oxford.
Mr I is working in Oxfordshire so I rode over to meet him from work.
Good ride and the homemade energy bars (dates, apricots and oats) worked well. So much tastier and natural than the ones you buy.
Great to be back on the bike doing a real ride. The ride was mainly just slightly undulating until I hit the Cotswolds where there were a few small hills. Fish Hill just out of Broadway is a good one, not particularly steep (10%), but just comes out of nowhere and breaks your rhythm.
A lovely walk with Mr I in the Blenheim Estate to finish a great day. (Oh for a pair of running shoes............lol.............the endorphins must have kicked in!)
IronGirl

Postby soniczip » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:19 am

hey, good ride!!! i think i never rode that much. endorphins are dangerous ah? but your log tells me you need more than one pair per year :lol:
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby skoptic » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:35 am

[quote="IronGirl"]Wednesday 5 hour Bike
Herefordshire to Oxford. The ride was mainly just slightly undulating until I hit the Cotswolds where there were a few small hills.

Good ride!! :) I'm very jealous, it sounds like a great ride... but is that 'few small hills' a massive understatement? (Or am I just being a soft Southerner ;))
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby IronGirl » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:44 pm

[quote="skoptic"][quote="IronGirl"]Wednesday 5 hour Bike
Herefordshire to Oxford. The ride was mainly just slightly undulating until I hit the Cotswolds where there were a few small hills.

Good ride!! :) I'm very jealous, it sounds like a great ride... but is that 'few small hills' a massive understatement? (Or am I just being a soft Southerner ;))

Sorry for once in my life I wasn't trying to be understated. It's just that we have lots of cracking hills round here and when we get fed up of them we usually head for mid Wales which has some awesome riding.

I'm planning to do some sportives over the summer starting with the Sunday Munch ride at Mountain Meyhem, a 110km ride starting at Eastnor Castle on the edge of the Malverns. That is if there are still places, I have several things that I need to get on and enter at the moment. Some sportives, some sprint tri's and of course the Full Boar half ironman. I think the mix will stretch my biking endurance but keep me working on speed at the same time. I know I can race a sprint and get straight back into training. An Olympic would put me out for a week!

I think a half ironman needs to be treated as a long olympic distance and not a short ironman! Or maybe I've never done enough speedwork for ironman........Mmmm probably never been good enough to worry?

Thursday
2km swim
500m mixed stroke steady
5 X 100m
10 X 50m
500m mixed stroke steady
Very noticeable difference in the force I can apply with the right push compared to the left, but hey I can put some force on the left!

& out later for a recovery run with Poppa.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:43 pm

Friday

1 hour 40 min Bike
with 4 x 10 min hill reps.

Used the Cradley hill again.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:25 pm

Saturday 2 hour Bike ...... 30 min run
First brick session of the year.
2 hours of Hilly Herefordshire on the bike(it's either up or down, no flat bits), but a couple of super fast superman descents on the bigger roads. I don't like the descents on the little back lanes though. I'm a big chicken and I like to be able to see well ahead. The little lanes have big hedges and I just hate the blind bends. Was having to work like stink to catch up with Mr I after every descent.
Collected Poppa dog after the bike and took her on a 30 min cross country run around Bringsty Common. Good to have someone on fresh legs to egg you on!
Glorious warm day for it here in Herefordshire. There is something quite satisfying about working up a good sweat!!! Getting a cycling tan too!
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:33 pm

Sunday 95 min run pb for this course :lol:
Bringsty, Brockhampton, Bromyard Downs loop
Previous best 1:42, so 7 mins off. Pretty pleaed with that and not sure how I managed it after my fist proper week of cycling in ages. :shock:

Easy week coming up now, sprint triathlon next saturday. Excited! :D
IronGirl

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:00 am

Great training IG!

[quote]Or maybe I've never done enough speedwork for ironman........Mmmm probably never been good enough to worry?

Depends on what you mean by speed work. I think people emphasized it a bit too much in the past - tempo work, though, a different story! I think you're right to not treat the 1/2 anything like a short Ironman - lot's of long stuff is not going to do you any good for a 1/2, just tire you out :P
Mr. Cleetus

Postby IronGirl » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:14 pm

Monday 1500m swim tired! Are we surprised!

Turesday Rest

Wednesday 30 min recovery run with a few strides at the end.

Got my eye on Ironman Wales. They did a course recce at weekend and it was not without problems. There was a rip tide on the swim, which meant that swim times were more like 5km than 3.8km, not good and if they don't sort it they are going to lose half the field on the day. The bike course looks awesome and the run looks interesting. Definately a tough IM. Will be watching with interest in September. (Then I'll find a nice flat one haha!).
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:19 pm

Thursday 1500m swim
as 400 warm up
5 x 100
10 x 50
100 easy
Times are coming down, good progress. Feeling more recovered today.

Just washed my time trial bike ready for saturday and had a test spin around the block. Not ideal that I havn't been out on it, but saturday is really a brick (training).
Obviously I'll have done some rides and time trials on it before the half Ironman.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:04 pm

Friday All set for tomorrow. Kind of.

I'm swimming in Mr Is wetsuit. I have absolutely no idea how he gets into it. I think the shop convinced him that it fitted him. ha ha no way!
Anyhow it'll do for a sprint, very roomy across the shoulders though. I may sink.

Had another potter out on my Time Trial bike. Got her up to speed and feeling a bit more balanced. I think it's pretty flat and untechnical tomorrow, so only have to concentrate on giving it hell!

Spent a good 1/4 hour faffing with the elastic laces in my trainers and had a test drive as I usually get them too tight.

My lucky "IronGirl" hat has gone a mottled yellow colour. I'll have to dye it. It is totally irreplaceable! I bought it from Paula Newby Fraser at Wildflower and she signed the back of it. She is still the Queen of Kona for me.

Early start tomorrow..........wish me luck!
IronGirl

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:11 pm

Good luck tomorrow!

Awesome, keep that hat! It's a piece of history. :) When did you do Wildflower?
Mr. Cleetus

Postby IronGirl » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:34 pm

[quote="Mr. Cleetus"]Good luck tomorrow!

Awesome, keep that hat! It's a piece of history. :) When did you do Wildflower?

Thanks Mr C.

Oh I'll keep the hat forever it's my pride and joy.

I did Wildflower in 1999. Totally awesome race. Best triathlon atmosphere ever. Well recommended, have you done it?
We made a big trip of it and did San Francisco, the coastal highway, Vegas, The Grand Canyon, and Yoesemite. Great trip and Wildflower just made it all the more amazing.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:40 pm

Saturday South Cerney Sprint Triathlon

Awesome. :D I'm addicted to triathlon again.
Went really well considering the total lack of preparation, just 5 minutes down on the leading ladies :o (& mostly on the swim which was expected)

When I stop saying awesome and bouncing around I'll come back and write a proper race report.
IronGirl

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs