"Stronglifts" : odd blurb

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

"Stronglifts" : odd blurb

Postby beforewisdom » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:02 pm

lobsteriffic got me interested in checking the Stronglift. It is basically a bare bones strength training program using free weights and compound exercises.

I found the blurb from the founder, kind of odd:

StrongLifts.com is “The Place” where truly smart, natural, masculine strength trainers with a love for free weights, a sincere desire to gain muscle and strength (without spending their life in the gym),

I didn't realize there was epidemic of effeminate weight lifters out there :).

Joking aside, I will look into it. I can never do a progressive resistance program without using up at least an hour by the time warmups and other gym things are rolled in.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Re: "Stronglifts" : odd blurb

Postby SpugFab » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:41 pm

I think chewybaws followed this program before he joined a powerlifting club. I could be mistaken though.
SpugFab

Postby baldy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:25 pm

Check out this thread -> "What do you think about stronglifts.com" viewtopic.php?f=16&t=21924&p=360775
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby KC Masterpiece » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:17 pm

beforewisdom wrote:I can never do a progressive resistance program without using up at least an hour by the time warmups and other gym things are rolled in.

There's some witty quip by Rippetoe in his book about lifters claiming to not have time to train that would be apropos here...

That being said, with warm-ups, training, warm-down and transit time, when you get in the 3:00+ range it can get kind of frustrating. To that extent, Stronglifts is probably the worst offender for long training sessions of all the "major" progressive loading routines out there.

There are quicker (and IMO, better) routines designed by better qualified people, that don't come with a massive cult/really creepy thoughts on politics, society and gender/questionable training recommendations in tow.
KC Masterpiece

Postby beforewisdom » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:38 pm

KC Masterpiece wrote:There are quicker (and IMO, better) routines designed by better qualified people, that don't come with a massive cult/really creepy thoughts on politics, society and gender/questionable training recommendations in tow.

eh? what do politics and gender have to do with weight training?

Its just a piece of iron sitting on the floor.

It doesn't care about gender or politics.

beforewisdom

Postby KC Masterpiece » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:26 am

Indeed.

But Mehdi is marketing Stronglifts as a "package" that includes a total life-overhaul, blah blah blah--check out some of the sub-forums at the site.
KC Masterpiece

Postby beforewisdom » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:36 am

I'm surprised people would let him tack on politics to their exercise.

beforewisdom

Postby Fallen_Horse » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:28 am

beforewisdom wrote:I found the blurb from the founder, kind of odd:

StrongLifts.com is “The Place” where truly smart, natural, masculine strength trainers with a love for free weights, a sincere desire to gain muscle and strength (without spending their life in the gym),

Hey at least he is emphasizing the 'natural' part! Most places don't give a crap....
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby beforewisdom » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:15 pm

Fallen_Horse wrote:
beforewisdom wrote:I found the blurb from the founder, kind of odd:

Hey at least he is emphasizing the 'natural' part! Most places don't give a crap....

I wasn't aware of a trend of artificially produced strength trainers running around either. Darned replicants!

beforewisdom

Postby chewybaws » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:40 pm

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-community-is-now-private/

The guy's a moron.

The program is good. The technique advice is fairly good. Sadly this only makes a very small part of the stronglifts site, the rest is garbage. The ebook isn't even available anymore. And the blog is more concerned with becoming a successful person than weight training. I'm sick of reading about tiger woods and whatever motivational book Mehdi's reading.
was there a time we weren't at war; when we knew what our hearts and hands were for?
chewybaws

Postby baldy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:47 pm

chewybaws wrote:http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-community-is-now-private/

The guy's a moron.

The program is good. The technique advice is fairly good. Sadly this only makes a very small part of the stronglifts site, the rest is garbage. The ebook isn't even available anymore. And the blog is more concerned with becoming a successful person than weight training. I'm sick of reading about tiger woods and whatever motivational book Mehdi's reading.

+1 and he isn't really that strong.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Lordmuppet » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:29 pm

baldy wrote:
chewybaws wrote:http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-community-is-now-private/

The guy's a moron.

+1 and he isn't really that strong.

It's surprisingly hard to find a simple list of his ORMs. The current bio has this

"he’s now Squatting and Deadlifting almost 400lbs/500lbs at about 170lbs body-weight (5’8″)". Can't seem to find bench numbers.

aka
Squat almost 181kg
Deadlift almost 226kg

so assuming the bench is okay he'd probably be somewhere between 20-30th on our table.

Strength of course is all relative so question is how strong you have to be to justify setting up your own wee training empire. Reasonable answer seems to me that you should compare well to others doing the same sort of thing (e.g. Rippetoe).

His numbers dwarf mine or course but then again I'm not trying to start up my own empire of Muppetry :)

edited to say: as I've said before i started out on Stronglifts 5x5 and I'm grateful for the introduction to strength training it gave me :)
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby lobsteriffic » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:44 pm

Haha, I just saw this.

Beforewisdom, I should have told you to just look at the program and to not pay any mind to all of the garbage on that site.

Actually I should give Chewy credit, he is the one that motivated me to use Stronglifts after I saw what great progress he had with the program.
lobsteriffic

Postby chewybaws » Thu May 26, 2011 3:38 pm

was there a time we weren't at war; when we knew what our hearts and hands were for?
chewybaws

Postby vegan hal » Thu May 26, 2011 5:15 pm

i've pretty much structured my lifting based on Stronglifts. it's been a great simple program to follow and I've tweaked it over the 2 yrs I've been doing it. BUT i don;t read his other crap.
vegan hal

Next

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights