Romania, Bucharest anyone been?

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Romania, Bucharest anyone been?

Postby baldy » Mon May 09, 2011 11:13 am

I am going to Bucharest later in the month, for about 5 days. Has anyone been there or know what to expect?
Plan is to take a box of builders bars in case I need to live off chips and salad for the 5 days.

Let me know if there is any must see or eat things while I am there.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Re: Romania, Bucharest anyone been?

Postby ultra_whippet » Mon May 09, 2011 1:36 pm

Yeah I went there a few years ago and survived ok. A few restaurants have a section for "lent dishes" which are often meat-free but that's not guaranteed so make sure you check! The supermarkets were ok, I seem to remember finding soya burgers and the like. There are a few eateries listed on happycow/veggieplaces but I don't recognise any of the names.

Sinaia makes a nice day trip if you want to escape the city for a bit.
ultra_whippet

Postby bronco » Fri May 13, 2011 7:57 pm

I have been there, as I remember it / was told almost all restaurant had lent dishes that were mostly vegan. However it could be that this was only during easter time and they have less of it otherwise.
JP wrote:Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Mon May 14, 2012 4:19 pm

bump!
A year later and this time I am actually going. Looks like a few places on happy cow (but raw?).
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews