Abs of steel

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Abs of steel

Postby spike » Sat May 07, 2011 8:54 am

Quick question, posting here as a quick google looks like I may have to trawl through loads of shite before not finding any answer. Here seems a more sensible place to ask.

Is it possible for a woman to get strong abs without getting down to really low body fat? I am not interested in going on a diet, especially not a very low fat one. Top google results seemed to say diet is as important, if not more important than exercise. I'm hopeful that's rubbish....

Thoughts?
spike

Re: Abs of steel

Postby hardcore iv » Sat May 07, 2011 9:31 am

Do you mean visible abs or just strong abs? If the latter then diet will have little impact unless you eat really low calories. Work up to ab wheel rollouts from standing and you will have strong abs. http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/wheel.html If you want visible abs then it's all about diet.
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby Fallen_Horse » Sat May 07, 2011 5:43 pm

hardcore iv wrote:Do you mean visible abs or just strong abs? If the latter then diet will have little impact unless you eat really low calories. Work up to ab wheel rollouts from standing and you will have strong abs. http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/wheel.html If you want visible abs then it's all about diet.

+1
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby spike » Sun May 08, 2011 8:40 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Strong abs really, but would be cool for the strength to be visible.

If it involves starving myself I'm not interested TBH - too lazy!
spike

Postby thestoatyone » Sun May 08, 2011 9:06 pm

Also what do you mean by strong?

The ability to brace your back against a 160kg squat, is a different type of strength to that required to to maintain posture whilst kicking someone in the face.

Just wondering...
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby Aussiveg » Mon May 09, 2011 9:29 am

how awesome would it be if you could kick someone in the face while squatting 160kg.
+2 what the others said form what you are saying you want visible abs ie a six pack? its that correct.
Aussiveg

Postby spike » Tue May 10, 2011 11:48 am

Aussiveg wrote: form what you are saying you want visible abs ie a six pack? its that correct.

No. I want stronger abs, stronger everything really, for being better at taekwondo. Unfortunately I have barely trainied in weeks so it's a bit hypothetical ATM!

I just asked the question cos I was thinking it would be nice for my abs to LOOK strong as well, if it wasn't too much extra effort. But it sounds like it will be. It isn't really a priority enough for me to bother constructing things from bits of lawn mower and going on a diet!
spike

Postby Sid Delicious » Sat May 14, 2011 9:31 pm

Rather than just concentrate on your abs focus on your whole core area. Having strong abs isn't much use if the muscles around them aren't strong. Back muscles are important for helping support your body, but often get neglected in favour of "mirror muscles". Likewise your core muscles connect to your upper body and legs, so need to be exercised with that in mind. If you're not interested in lifting weights or using exercise equipment, try a pilates class. They're often aimed at women, especially those who don't have much core strength, but once you learn to do the exercises properly you can take them up a level or two.
Sid Delicious

Postby Anton » Mon May 23, 2011 9:07 pm

Anton

Postby powerlifer » Tue May 24, 2011 12:37 pm

Visible abs come with low body fat percentage mostly, although a small amount of muscle mass is obviously needed.

The full superman ab roll outs that are linked are good for core strength.

Full contact twists are also great for the above.

Weighted decline ab sit ups is another i do now and again.

But really hitting the main lifts hard such as squat, deadlifts etc will hit your abs hard also.
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights