Linwoods flax seed stuff

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Linwoods flax seed stuff

Postby Clem Snide » Thu May 05, 2011 9:50 am

Greetings all,

Any thoughts on this stuff as a more palatable source of ALA than flax oil?:

Linwoods Milled Flax etc

There are various kinds of this available in many shops - this version has sunflower seeds as well, but there's a flax-only option.

I rather fancy sprinkling this on my breakfast, I think I recall that a tsp of flaxseed daily should meet your ALA requirements, but perhaps I'm incorrect. Anyone eat this stuff?
Clem Snide

Re: Linwoods flax seed stuff

Postby baldy » Thu May 05, 2011 11:06 am

I have always heard how the goodies in linseed are very easily spoiled by heat, light, air etc. So always sceptical about how good the stuff that has already been processed is.
Personally I just chuck whole flaxseeds into my smoothies. Or grind them in a coffee grinder before mixing in my cereal. Its also way cheaper just to buy plan flaxseeds and grind them yourself.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Konstantin » Thu May 05, 2011 12:11 pm

baldy wrote:I have always heard how the goodies in linseed are very easily spoiled by heat, light, air etc. So always sceptical about how good the stuff that has already been processed is.
Personally I just chuck whole flaxseeds into my smoothies. Or grind them in a coffee grinder before mixing in my cereal. Its also way cheaper just to buy plan flaxseeds and grind them yourself.

Init.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby Twoism » Thu May 05, 2011 11:04 pm

Well I'm going to try buying flaxseeds from now on. I invested in some Granovita flax oil (hefty chunk of my food budget!) due to the convenience but I ended up throwing most of it away. I kept getting paranoid that the oil may have gone rancid because I got it off the shelf at sainsbury's. Flaxoil is very unstable apparently but the few places that store it here have it out on the shelves. In hindsight the oil was probably fine but w/e.

Are pre-packaged flaxseeds that have been stored for weeks on shop shelves (say at H&B) ok? Can't get em fresh here but I don't want to unknowingly eat rancid seeds...
Twoism

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating