Bin Laden Dead?!

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Bin Laden Dead?!

Postby Johnboy74 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:29 am

****** Vegan Atheist ******
Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.
Johnboy74

Re: Bin Laden Dead?!

Postby Johnboy74 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:55 am

On another note, world's most wanted terrorists a vegan!

Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.
Johnboy74

Postby baldy » Mon May 02, 2011 10:00 am

Crowds gathered outside the White House in Washington DC, chanting "USA, USA" after the news emerged.

How very team America.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby barnz2k » Mon May 02, 2011 10:52 am

just me that thinks its all a little "convenient" or am I slow becoming a conspiracy theorist lol
barnz2k

Postby xrodolfox » Mon May 02, 2011 11:28 am

meh.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby vCLaW » Mon May 02, 2011 11:31 am

barnz2k wrote:just me that thinks its all a little "convenient" or am I slow becoming a conspiracy theorist lol

I does seem rather convenient that he has already been buried at sea. How do they know it definitely is Bin Laden?
vCLaW

Postby beforewisdom » Mon May 02, 2011 12:58 pm

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby Johnboy74 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:10 pm

vCLaW wrote:
barnz2k wrote:just me that thinks its all a little "convenient" or am I slow becoming a conspiracy theorist lol

I does seem rather convenient that he has already been buried at sea. How do they know it definitely is Bin Laden?

US forces did a DNA test apparently... some video starting to be shown
Johnboy74

Postby Catt Queen » Mon May 02, 2011 1:56 pm

Johnboy74 wrote:US forces did a DNA test apparently... some video starting to be shown

And they're completely trustworthy of course... :shock:
Allie =^..^=
http://www.stronger.me.uk
Find me on Facebook
Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts.
That's what little girls are made of; to hell with sugar and spice.
Catt Queen

Postby Talyn » Mon May 02, 2011 3:31 pm

Just in time for Obama's re-election camp... er I mean, what a great news story... :roll:

Watching rednecks cheer his death out the front of the Whitehouse on TV was more than a little disturbing.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Mon May 02, 2011 4:02 pm

Talyn wrote:Just in time for Obama's re-election camp... er I mean, what a great news story... :roll:

The election is in November 2012, more than a year away.
American voters have a short memory, for example President Bush 1 got huge support for Iraq 1, but
the enthusiasm dissipated before the election and he lost to President Clinton. Any political strategist
who would orchestrate the apprehension of Bin Laden wouldn't do such thing with the election as far
away as November 2012.

Watching rednecks cheer his death out the front of the Whitehouse on TV was more than a little
disturbing.

Since the news broke fairly late on a Sunday evening our time many of the people out and about in D.C.
were 20 somethings. I'm sure the UK has something similar to our "frat boys".

I'm not a history expert, but I am told that "redneck" is a classicst and regional pejorative.

I am not from the American south and I view this as good news, worthy of enthusiasm.

This video looking at Bin Laden's history can change your perspective about whether people are
overreacting to his apprehension

beforewisdom

Postby runrevolt » Mon May 02, 2011 6:26 pm

I am glad he is dead, but this frat boy rah rah USA shit is such an insulting, short-sighted and disgraceful way to express this moment and/or honor those affected by both Osama's actions and the actions of those on the other side of the battle against "him".

Humans are a tragically humorous animal.

In no way do I defend Osama OR the expressions of those getting all the media exposure right now. Embarrassing.

Also, let's be above the conspiracy theory bullshit....dude is dead.
http://www.runvegan.wordpress.com
runrevolt

Postby xrodolfox » Mon May 02, 2011 7:11 pm

I am not celebrating Osama's death. However, I am glad that Al-Quaida has been dealt a blow to its operations.

Dismantling Al-Quaida is *my* goal, not some form of retribution. That goal has been hampered by US foreign policy through the 1990s and 1980's. Al-Quaida is no accident. So I'm glad that we dealt a blow to an organization we helped create. I just hope that this killing actually changes something, but according to the analysis I've heard, Al-Quaida already was operating independently from Bin Laden, and this attack will just mean resources can go to cripple other parts of the organization.

I hope this is the start of decreasing our military spending so that we can save the money that's being diverted from domestic spending... but I doubt that will happen.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Mon May 02, 2011 7:42 pm

runrevolt wrote:I am glad he is dead, but this frat boy rah rah USA shit is such an insulting, short-sighted and disgraceful way to express this moment and/or honor those affected by both Osama's actions and the actions of those on the other side of the battle against "him".

i agree.

It is not something I would or did do.

Like I wrote earlier, lets not paint everyone with the same brush. Look at the background of the people
partying. Young 20 something frat boy types ( at least in my area ). Not every American is a 21 year
old college student.

Also balance that view out with memories of reactions to 9/11 after several thousand innocent Americans were
killed for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Palestinian immigrants in New York were dancing in
the streets. Palestinian i the mid east were celebrating by throwing candy at each other. There was that
video of Bin Laden gloating at his success and the many, many newsclips of young men in the east
dancing and rioting to the camera.

beforewisdom

Postby beforewisdom » Mon May 02, 2011 7:46 pm

xrodolfox wrote:I hope this is the start of decreasing our military spending

I'm just hoping to net get molested or irradiated when I take a plane trip.

Military contractors like making their money. If it isn't terrorists, a new enemy will pop up the
way Al Queda did after the cold war was over. I'm guessing the Chinese are next, which
would make me sad. There is a lot about Chinese cutlure I don't like, but there is so much
more cool stuff I would hate to see them become the next excuse to keep the defense contractors
wealthy.
Last edited by beforewisdom on Tue May 03, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

beforewisdom

Next

Return to General Discussion