marathon within one year...

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

marathon within one year...

Postby natty » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:47 am

so, my very new goal is to run a marathon next year.
i def. need tips concerning preparation... anyone???
for now am running 3 times/week, for now 6-7km each...
i d be freatful for any advice
thanks
>> stone that the builder refused gonna be the head corner stone (b.marley)<<
natty

Re: marathon within one year...

Postby Konstantin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:13 am

Great to see that goal. The feeling of completing a marathon for the first time is incredible.

It sounds as if you have the first part right - run regularly. Keep a schedule and stick to it.

One of your runs should be the long run. Make this run slightly longer each week, but not by much. As you have a year to prepare, make sure you don't add more than 1 km on at any one time.

It's a good idea to keep some speed work in there. Intervals are good, so are hillsprints. Intervals cans be at full speed with a longer rest, or comfortably fast with a shorter rest.

If you start a training log hopefully more people can see what you're doing and offer advice.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby natty » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:18 pm

thanks! that s good advice!
i am actually gradually running longer and faster... it frankly comes by itself, naturally , as thee strenght and all are getting better...

a training log is a really good idea , i ll start it soon..

thanks!!!
natty

Postby Stu » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:56 pm

Natty, remember what Konstatin said: only ONE of your weekly runs (at the weekend?) should be longer than the rest. This is the distance that you should really build up. However, your mid-week runs will get longer as well, but I wouldn't let them get much longer than 40-50 minutes or so.

You will easily get to marathon fitness within a year if you stick to your schedule. Have fun!
Stu

Postby KjKranz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:54 pm

Here's a quick write up of some thoughts of mine for you,

After a few years of running by the "go hard or go home" frame of mind you most common witness I was constantly getting hurt.

I happened upon this article : http://www.duathlon.com/articles/1460 and it drastically improved my running. I became injured very rarely (or ever, if I recall correctly) in the last year of using this training philosophy. I also recently broke my 5k PR by a minute after over a year of this type of training, without doing any speedwork at all. In the last half year I have seen the most drastic improvements with the addition of running very slowly but adding in major hills to my training.

You can see the changes for yourself. Here are my records for the last seven months: http://www.runningonthewhiteline.com/2007/12/hr-tests.html

Phil Maffetone has a couple books out as well you can check out if you are interested.

Obviously I would recommend this sort of training if you intend on completing a marathon within one year. There are no secrets in endurance running, but if there were, they would be:
1. Consistent and Frequent runs (whatever you do should be repeatable the next day)
2. Not doing speedwork (it's the icing on the cake, and most runners don't even have the cake yet. I've been running for 4 years now and still do not feel like I am ready)
3. Hills (speedwork in disquise. Slower, so easier on the body but forces you to put out a lot of power)
4. Listen to your body (if you are tired, you should probably not go out for a 15 miler with intervals mixed in)
KjKranz

Postby natty » Mon May 02, 2011 7:25 am

Thank you all for your advice!

The last 2 weeks my schedule was a little messed up, due to holidays.... as my son is only 2 1/2, i can only go for my runs when he s in the kindergarden. so i guess it was a mistake to try to compensate.
last friday i hit the 10km . it was an easy run. i didn t mind the time at all, i just wanted to know how it feels. and it was good.
what i know plan is to keep this distance to get used to it and on fridays i ll probably add a littel hill-part. just have to find one... ;-)

i guess the training is working well for now, my kness are ok, (i used to have problems before and so they alert me when doing to much to fast...) the only thing which is giving me some headache is nutrition. i guess my protein-consumption is not ok , as for a week or some i have these longings for beef!!! i didn t give in of course, but i guess my body is trying to tell me something....

ok, let s go for a run!!!

have a great day everyone!!
natty

Return to Vegan Runners