vegan / vegan-friendly cafes in Manchester UK

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: vegan / vegan-friendly cafes in Manchester UK

Postby Hiking Fox » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:31 am

I went to Detoxretox last night and shared the bangers and mash, the coconut curry, the sticky toffee pudding and the poached pear with AndyO.

It turns out that the ginger sponge slices that come with the pear were made with one of my recipes, so the owner came over for a chat. He was very friendly and approachable and said they do plan to open daytimes from the summer.

The name of the place suggested a cafe-stye bistro bar with smoothies and stuff, to me, so I was surprised that the place actually has the look and feel of a modern, gourmet restaurant like you get in London. I think the name has the potential to mislead people.

I found the food very high quality, with clean, fresh flavours that were perfectly balanced. It was much better food than you get in Greens and I'd recommend it to anyone who feels like a treat.

I would have preferred more tofu in my curry and passed this feedback on; they agreed with me. I would have also preferred two poached pears instead of one, as the amount of soya cream I got with it was too much and I ended up lapping the remainder off the spoon. The bangers and mash were the best that I've had in any place, anywhere. The gravy was amazing. The toffee pudding was also gorgeous, with a lingering caramel flavour and a zing in the custard caused by the fresh thyme. I'd go back for the pudding alone.

Two mains, two drinks and two puddings cost just under £40, so the place is out of my price range for regular visits, however consistent feedback on dining websites is that people want a gourmet veggie place in the city centre, not just another cafe. I hope it does well.
Hiking Fox

Postby Rochellita » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:49 pm

Glad you like it! I loved the thyme custard most of all.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby dublin dave » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:14 pm

Do NOT under any circumstances go to Baekdu (Korean Food) on Shudehill...the tofu and kimchi stew was blatantly made with meat stock and I found a couple of small pieces of meat in it as well...it literally made me sick... :evil:
dublin dave

Postby spike » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:40 pm

Hiking Fox, thanks for posting that review. It sounds really amazing. I'm looking forward to going there for a treat some time very soon.

Dublin Dave, sorry that happened, sounds traumatic! Cheers for the warning. BTW, is that Rice and 3 place still good? I still haven't got round to checking it out yet!
spike

Postby spike » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:40 pm

Hiking Fox, thanks for posting that review. It sounds really amazing. I'm looking forward to going there for a treat some time very soon.

Dublin Dave, sorry that happened, sounds traumatic! Cheers for the warning. BTW, is that Rice and 3 place still good? I still haven't got round to checking it out yet!
spike

Postby Hiking Fox » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:19 pm

Updates:

Detoxretox has shed the stupid name and is now called "1847"

The vegan OKasional Cafe is back for a few weeks, at a lovely waterside venue The Castlefield Centre at 101 Liverpool Road, off Deansgate, opposite the MOSI. (Nr Knott pub and Bridgewater Hall). I'll be cooking on Thursday 21st and plan a BIG PIZZA EXPERIENCE!
Hiking Fox

Postby Rach » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:18 pm

I went in February and loved it- had the sausage and mash, then the sticky toffee pudding. I also loved the thyme custard. Looking forward to my next visit!
Rach

Postby Hiking Fox » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:47 pm

Hiking Fox wrote:I'll be cooking on Thursday 21st and plan a BIG PIZZA EXPERIENCE!

Bugger. They don't have an oven, so I can't do pizza. I'm going to take cake in baked at home and do stovetop food in the place. I'm thinking of old-school stew with dumplings.
Hiking Fox

Postby spike » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:19 am

Hiking Fox wrote:
Hiking Fox wrote:I'll be cooking on Thursday 21st and plan a BIG PIZZA EXPERIENCE!

Bugger. They don't have an oven, so I can't do pizza. I'm going to take cake in baked at home and do stovetop food in the place. I'm thinking of old-school stew with dumplings.

Ooh, if you're cooking I might venture down. Shame about the lack of oven.

I tried 1847 the other week. I wanted to like it more than I actually did tbh. As well as changing the name they've changed the menu. I thought the choice of starters was OK but the mains were quite cheesy.

I say the starter were good, but I can't remember what there actually was, aside from I had some turnip chips with an interesting green dip.

For mains there was bangers and mash (which I would have had, had I not had the same thing at home the night before!), a pearl barley risotto and something that called itself a salad but was a meal in itself, had all sorts including plenty of tofu.

The portions were more generous than I imagined, so much so I had no room for pudding! This was probably for the best since the only vegan puddings involved grapefruit (which I don't like) and gin (which I don't drink). If they'd had sticky toffee pudding I think I would have found room for it!
spike

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:11 pm

spike wrote:Ooh, if you're cooking I might venture down. Shame about the lack of oven.

Yeah, now confirmed that I'll be doing stew with dumplings, plus Bakewell tart that I'll cook at home.

The portions were more generous than I imagined, so much so I had no room for pudding! This was probably for the best since the only vegan puddings involved grapefruit (which I don't like) and gin (which I don't drink). If they'd had sticky toffee pudding I think I would have found room for it!

Gutting! That toffee pud was absolutely stunning.
Hiking Fox

Postby Hiking Fox » Fri May 06, 2011 5:32 pm

The Seven Oaks pub round the corner from the art gallery now has an all-veggie menu; basically Martin The Mod is doing it.

All day vegan breakfast for £4.95? Had it today. Top notch.
Hiking Fox

Postby Hiking Fox » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:17 pm

A few updates, as this thread needs 'em:

Ashton Under Lyne

Topaz Café in Ashton is currently open 10-4 Mon to Thurs (plus 10-3 on Fri) and plans to open Saturdays from March. Lots of vegan options, though they aren't marked on the menu and you have to ask. Very good quality of food for the price (e.g. my side salad for my tortilla contained a mix of leaves, olives, seeds, cucumber, tomato, avocado and a really tasty dressing). However, some of the serving staff are mental health service users who are in rehabilitation, so they may not get your order absolutely bang-on and I recommend speaking to one of the chefs if you are requesting any amendments to anything on the menu. Don't expect shit-hot, fast service, but it's friendly and there's free computers/internet to use while you wait.

Lily's has expanded the menu and now sells vegan omelettes and a wider range of curries. The top row of sweets in the counter are also vegan. sadly their drinks menu is still dire, with only fizzy pop and no fruit juice of any description.

Hyde

The Park Cafe in Hyde (nr Flowery Field train station) has a few basic veggie options on the menu, but the chef is very vegan-aware and eager to include people, so if you phone in advance to request vegan options, she'll make things like chocolate cake, ginger parkin, tomato and walnut pate and tofutti cheese wraps. The food is excellent and dirt-cheap as it is a social enterprise.

Manchester

The little tea and cake place with vegan cupcakes in Afflecks Palace closed down and the new owners told me they have no plans to introduce vegan cakes as there is "no demand". The place was empty at 1pm on a Friday, so perhaps they won't last long.

The local Parsnipship stallholder, Ian, is no longer operating as a Parsnipship franchise, but as Shakahara foods. He sells a lovely cashew-based vegan cheese.

I checked out The Bakerie and was very unimpressed. Not as vegan-friendly as people are making out.

Ditto Soup Kitchen in the Northern Quarter, who have one vegan option.

Martin the Mod is back at the Thirsty Scholar, but food was only served 12-3pm at the time I went. If he extends the serving hours I'll post it here.

The Lass O'Gowrie pub on Charles St has "Meat Free Mondays" with loads of vegan options. I haven't yet checked it out, as I'm never in Manchester on a Monday. Their normal (Tuesday to Sunday) menu isn't very vegan-friendly, but perhaps that will change.

1847 has a menu that's over half vegan and it has been consistently brilliant every time I've been, however I have heard mixed reports from other people. I think it depends on whether the head chef is working that night, as the place is painfully under-staffed.

The Cornerhouse has a vegan pizza with roast potatoes and basil oil on it. I tried it and really liked it.

A group of people plan to open a social centre with vegan food somewhere in the city, but their project is in its early stages.
Hiking Fox

Postby JP » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:46 pm

should also mention that universitys University Place buildings restaurant now has a daily vegan special - its nothing to write home about, sometimes its been pretty good like pies and stuff, but mileage varies.

Its always 3.99 with a soft drink included.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Hiking Fox » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:27 pm

JP wrote:should also mention that universitys University Place buildings restaurant now has a daily vegan special - its nothing to write home about, sometimes its been pretty good like pies and stuff, but mileage varies.

Its always 3.99 with a soft drink included.

Where is that?
Hiking Fox

Postby rattus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:16 am

I'll be staying over in Manchester at the end of March and 1847 sounds just the job.

Suggestions for early evening (need to be finished troughing by 8ish) dining in Newcastle/Gateshead and Sheffield?
Last edited by rattus on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
rattus

PreviousNext

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews