vegan eats on tour

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

vegan eats on tour

Postby Roddy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:40 am

I'm planning to do a 2/3 week trip round the scottish highlands in august and tying to figure out what i'll need to eat each day to keep me goin (never done touring before)

whats the tips? stove or no stove? pasta? lentils? bread and peanut butter?? what do you folks do??
punk rock, veganism, life on the road - www.x4298x.blogspot.com
Roddy

Re: vegan eats on tour

Postby GY Jon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:08 pm

If you're going to the Scottish ighlands in August, eat Citronella sauce with everything.

A lot of the local shops in the remote places are well stocked with veg and the basics, but I would recommend a stove as otherwise it might be fairly long distances between hot vegan eats. Cous cous is good one as it's very quick to cook, 1KG doesn't take up a lot of space and is quite high in protein so you won't have to bother with lentils, vegeburger mixes are great for protein. If you can carry a few basic spices and garlic don't bother with pre-flavoured packet rice/cous cous as the portions are too small. After a hard day on the bike, my "treat" is to fry up vegeburger mix in splats add a tin of baked beans and a tin of spuds, a few spices, it tastes wonderful in the mountain air.
GY Jon

Postby Roddy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:48 am

cheers bud, so is granola sosmix stuff deff vegan again??
Roddy

Postby baldy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:51 am

doughnuts from scotmid?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby vCLaW » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:02 pm

Yes, I would also recommend a stove if touring for much more than a couple of days. Otherwise, you'll probably get fed up with just eating bread. Also with a stove, you can take dried food, which is lighter weight/less bulky.

+1 for cous-cous. Also instant noodles and instant mashed potatoes are good for being lightweight and quick cooking.
I've never bothered with lentils when camping, I think they'd take too long to cook. I often take dried soya mince, you can get stuff that cooks in about 5 minutes, so easy to mix up in a tomato sauce etc. Or sausage mix / burger mix. I think the Granose sausage mix is now vegan, or there are a few other similar brands.
vCLaW

Postby Roddy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:10 pm

baldy wrote:Image
doughnuts from scotmid?

much as I like the odd donut, I think 9 donuts probably have more fat in them than I have on my body ;)

cheers for al the tips
Roddy

Return to Cycling Forum