Oranges in smoothies

Share your tasty and/or healthy recipes here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Oranges in smoothies

Postby Heinrich » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:09 am

When I make a smoothie with oranges, it always takes alot of time and effort to get them into the mixer.

At first I tried quatering them and then cutting out the flesh giving the skin a squeeze to get more juice. This works fine, takes some time though and is a pain in the ass if there are stones in the oranges.

So now I half them and squeeze them in a manual orange juicer, you know, the kind where there is a cone with hole in the bottom and you squeeze the orange against it. While this is great to avoid stones its still time consuming and feel weired to first make juice.

Id much prefer to just take a lot of fruits and stuff, out them into the mixer and press a button.

Is there an easier way to get oranges into a smoothie?
What is your way?
Heinrich

Re: Oranges in smoothies

Postby DrDebra » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:51 am

I just peel my oranges and then break them into chunks. The seeds grind up so that you don't know they are even there. Plus, I want all that great fiber in the flesh of the fruit.

Much more nutritious that way. I eat a lot of oranges in season via smoothies.
DrDebra

Postby Fallen_Horse » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:11 am

A lot of it depends on the quality of your blender. Something expensive (Vitamix, Blentec) will pulverize anything that gets in the way. I like to make semi-custom orange juice by adding 4 cups of orange juice and 4 oranges and blending it all. Makes a thicker juice with more fiber!
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby powerlifer » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:46 am

Yeah high powered blenders take care of oranges no problem. Which is why i love my vitamix:).

Still scared to try dates in it though, but i really want to make some homemade superfood bars.
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Postby Fallen_Horse » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:47 pm

Dates by themselves? Too dry for good blending I think...
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby chewybaws » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:54 pm

i stopped using oranges in smoothies ages ago for this reason and just use orange juice now :D
was there a time we weren't at war; when we knew what our hearts and hands were for?
chewybaws

Postby powerlifer » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:46 pm

Fallen_Horse wrote:Dates by themselves? Too dry for good blending I think...

Well i will be using some seeds, possibly adding in a little nuts and dried berries such as goji or incan, so yeah i think trying to blend all the above including a few powders such as maca and spirulina would be too dry.

Might try soaking the dates first.
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
powerlifer

Postby Roddy » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:34 pm

powerlifer wrote:Yeah high powered blenders take care of oranges no problem. Which is why i love my vitamix:).

Still scared to try dates in it though, but i really want to make some homemade superfood bars.

I use dates in my vitamix all the time, daily in smoothies and in much bigger quantities for raw bars/cakes, obviously with something a bit softer in the mix too :)
punk rock, veganism, life on the road - www.x4298x.blogspot.com
Roddy

Postby powerlifer » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:05 am

Good to know roddy thanks:)
powerlifer

Return to Vegan Recipes