6 week self-supported cycling tour on the Pacific Coast

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

6 week self-supported cycling tour on the Pacific Coast

Postby DC Runner » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:31 pm

Hi all,

I'm going on a self-supported cycling/camping tour along the Pacific Coast Highway from Vancouver, CA to Big Sur in California with my also vegan girlfriend. I'll also be making a couple side trips in from the coast to Seattle and Portland. Has anyone on here done anything like this? Any suggestions?
DC Runner

Re: 6 week self-supported cycling tour on the Pacific Coast

Postby ultra_whippet » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:45 pm

That sounds so awesome. Jealous! :)

This site has a whole bunch of useful info for bike touring:
http://travellingtwo.com/
ultra_whippet

Postby vegan hal » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:03 pm

yeah really. that sounds incredible. something I'd like to do one day (but on my motorcycle). how much time are you taking to do it?
vegan hal

Postby DC Runner » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:49 pm

Awesome - thanks for the site! It looks like I'll be getting some good information from it.

I'm flying out to Vancouver on 05/21 and will start cycling on or about 05/23. We will be averaging about 50 miles per day, so no racing. I'm flying back out of San Francisco, so I'll need a few days to get back from Big Sur, or I may have a friend pick us up. I fly back to DC on 07/04, so six weeks in total.

I've never done any touring before and my experience with cycling is city commuting through Washington, DC on my road bike and as part of a half ironman on a rented road bike. I bought a Surly Crosscheck for the trip and set it up with fenders and a rear rack. I plan on taking two rear panniers and a small handlebar bag. Of course I need to make room for some running clothes, as I'm a total running junkie. But I'll be cycling in my running shoes, so no need to make space for another pair of shoes. We plan to take very little with us - a tent, sleeping bags and pads, a small camp stove w/ refillable fuel container, a lightweight compact cookware set, patch kit, 1 spare tire and tube along with necessary bike tools, snacks and minimal food, and maybe two changes of clothes each. Of course I'll also be bringing a camera and journal to capture all the details.

We're also planning a weekend touring/camping test trip next weekend from Washington, DC to Harpers Ferry, WV to sort out any details.

Feel free to add any comments!

Thanks!
DC Runner

Postby vegan hal » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:32 pm

DC Runner. it sounds like an amazing trip!!! 6 weeks :shock: you're so lucky. i've not taken more than a week (10days once) off at a time in the past 15 yrs. I'm impressed that even with all the cycling, you'll still make time to go running too. and camping and all. the last time i did a ride like this I was maybe 15 or 16 and rode from southern CT up to Quebec. we had the tents and camping/cooking supplies. but this was the 80's and tents and gear wasn't as high tech as it is now.

anyhow, if you need any gear, go see my real good friend Marc who manages Spokes Etc. he's super knowledgeable on gear, an accomplished rider, and vegetarian to boot. great guy.
vegan hal

Postby DC Runner » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:37 pm

I recently got back from my 6-week tour of the west coast of North America. I had an amazing time and saw some beautiful scenery. I created a web album from my trip, which includes photo captions and map locations. Check it out if you're interested.

https://picasaweb.google.com/bsavitch/F ... directlink
DC Runner

Postby idontkillbugs » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:57 pm

Hey DC Runner, check out crazyguyonabike.com. It is an online database of triplogs/diaries. I am sure people would love to hear about your trip. It is a very cool site!
From beasts we scorn as soulless,
In forest, field and den,
The cry goes up to witness
The soullessness of men.
~M. Frida Hartley
idontkillbugs

Return to Cycling Forum