Cape Town, South Africa

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Cape Town, South Africa

Postby baldy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:50 pm

.flux wrote:Now I'm homesick :cry: That pool looks amazing, wow.

I went into a little "general dealer" down the road from my house cos he had a sign for soya products. In the freezer I found some vegetarian boerewors! Was in a rush, but will go back tomorrow and double check it. Seems too good to be true. The range also had soya prawns and burgers.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Rochellita » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:32 pm

Boerewors is one of those things I can't imagine being veganised, that's just weird. You'll have to take a photo of teh products and post here if they do turn out to be vegan.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby kallefs » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:06 pm

.flux wrote:Boerewors is one of those things I can't imagine being veganised, that's just weird.

Like haggis :)
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby Rochellita » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:26 pm

kallefs wrote:
.flux wrote:Boerewors is one of those things I can't imagine being veganised, that's just weird.

Like haggis :)

Equally disgusting, yes.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:44 pm

On Friday went for lunch with friends to Cafe Royale in Long Street. They have a vegan burger that was ok. I feel bad for not getting to any of the vegetarian places yet. Will need to make a proper mission before I leave.

Here is a nice beach shot, walking my buddies two border collies.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:42 am

The view from the top of table mountain, just past Maclears beacon the highest point. On the left is Lions Head, then Signal Hill and you can just make out the new 2010 WC stadium and robben island in the bay.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:12 pm

On the most popular national radio station I just heard one of the DJ's saying he was vegan, couldn't believe it! http://blog.vegansa.com/2011/02/an-inte ... rant-nash/
baldy
Site Admin

Postby vegan hal » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:25 pm

damn dude. looking super buff on the beach! I'm pretty sure none of that stuff was available the last time i was in SA. or i just didn't know where to find it. i remember the markets being rather sparse. love that "Ouma" brand. my Ouma and Oupa were terrific people. I miss them.

here's my pic in front of lion's head.

vegan hal

Postby baldy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:31 pm

vegan hal wrote:damn dude. looking super buff on the beach! I'm pretty sure none of that stuff was available the last time i was in SA. or i just didn't know where to find it. i remember the markets being rather sparse. love that "Ouma" brand. my Ouma and Oupa were terrific people. I miss them.

The buff tanned guy is my best buddy, he always got the ladies when we where younger and still does! I am the pale sickly looking vegan with the love handles.

Those Ouma rusks are great, condensed milk flavour but still vegan.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby vegan hal » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:49 pm

[quote="baldy"...The buff tanned guy is my best buddy, he always got the ladies when we where younger and still does! I am the pale sickly looking vegan with the love handles. ...[/quote]

hey i know which one you are smartass! :) i'm paler and my love handles are lovelier (ie: bigger). haha.
vegan hal

Postby baldy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:39 am

There are now a couple of 100% vegan places to eat around Cape Town.
The Bella Vegan Tea Room in Simons Town
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Bella ... 5823014575
Closer in Muizenburg http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=25395

They are both cafe kind of places which along with a few veggie places in Long street mainly cater for lunches so close at about 4 o'clock.

Last night I went to Addis. They have a vegan section on the menu and the waiter was totally clued up about what was and what wasn't vegan. From the website I read about the coffee ceremony they do, but unfortunately you need 10 people for the full one. So we just got the normal coffee one with some incense and popcorn.
http://www.addisincape.co.za/
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Johnboy74 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:43 pm

baldy wrote:Image

Stunning Pic!
****** Vegan Atheist ******
Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.
Johnboy74

Postby Rochellita » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:04 am

baldy wrote:On the most popular national radio station I just heard one of the DJ's saying he was vegan, couldn't believe it! http://blog.vegansa.com/2011/02/an-inte ... rant-nash/

:-)

Did you manage to get the The Bella Vegan Tea Room in Simons Town at all? Addis looks awesome.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:01 pm

.flux wrote:Did you manage to get the The Bella Vegan Tea Room in Simons Town at all? Addis looks awesome.

Addis really was good, so comforting to actually have a menu with vegan written in big on it. Didnt get to Bella, I am working while I am out here, keeping to my Irish hours so I don't really get to do much during the day. Most of the vegan places close at 4 or 5 in the afternoon.

This is the beach closest to my house.
baldy
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews