[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
• View topic - Chewy's Strength Log

Chewy's Strength Log

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Chewy's Powerlifting Log

Postby baldy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:01 pm

Sweeeet first comp!
Buzz nutrition advice is as always spot on, maybe add some crisps to the LM country pie in a roll?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby buzz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:23 pm

[quote="baldy"]Sweeeet first comp!
Buzz nutrition advice is as always spot on, maybe add some crisps to the LM country pie in a roll?

Fuck, I had some crisps as well, but was a bit rushed coz I was loading/spotting.

Started to think 300eq deadlift by the end of the year is fantasyland, but you'll get 280. It's pretty much in the bag already!
buzz

Postby xJimx » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:30 pm

Congrats Chewy :D
DYEL
xJimx

Postby tal » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:33 pm

Well done mate! Really impressive.
tal

Postby chewybaws » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:58 pm

Cheers everyone! The ribs didn't affect my pulling strength at all, was just real sore. Looking back there's definitely more in the tank there on the deadlift. Just need to get lockouts in my routine and maybe add some deficit deadlifts in some of the heavier warmups.

Already bought some LM cottage pies, planning on having some tonight after workout. Buzz, when I saw that guy buy something off you at the comp (wraps I think) all I was thinking was why didn't I do that with Soy protein bars. Prob put an order in soon.

What is all this talk of pipes and carrots I see everywhere? Maybe I've been spending too much time over at VBBF haha.
was there a time we weren't at war; when we knew what our hearts and hands were for?
chewybaws

Postby JP » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:52 pm

well done mate!

The deadlift breaking off floor will probably come with your squat improving too?
JP
Site Admin

Postby buzz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:19 pm

I'll be at most comps later in the year, and also any WL comps at Killie if there are any coming up? But you can also come to Motherwell to train (and pick up goodies) if you even fancy it, but seeing as you live so far west it's nearly Ireland, it's still an hours drive!
buzz

Postby bronco » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:16 pm

Solid work at the comp :D !
[quote="JP"]Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby chewybaws » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:59 pm

Thanks again!

You know the last 2 days I've been constantly talking about improving my deadlift in ignorant bliss of the 85kg bench press.

Buzz, I don't know of any comps coming up in Killie. I'll take up the offer in Motherwell at some point, would be good!

Mon 28th February 2011

Squat
5x6x105kg
1x10x105kg
(all no belt)

Bench
4x6x60kg
1x12x60kg

Close grip lat pulldowns
1x13x65kg

Seated calf raises
10,10,16x55kg

Squats felt pretty heavy for 105kg. Technique was off, kept rocking forward in some reps. Prob still tired from Saturday. Today (tuesday) my quads/glutes/hams are pretty sure and back's a bit stiff. Will definitely be doing light stuff (and missing deadlifts) on Wednesday, might even take the day off. Prepare for starting new cycle next week.
was there a time we weren't at war; when we knew what our hearts and hands were for?
chewybaws

Postby vegan hal » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:57 pm

Chewy. Great job in the comp. you're a beast and have progressed so quickly. dug the video. keep it up.
vegan hal

Postby chewybaws » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:07 am

Thanks man!

Wed 2nd March 2011
Morningweight=83kg

X-trainer
25mins (including warmup/cooldown)
HR averaging about 157bpm
Level around 3 or 4

Chins

Fri 4th March 2011
Morningweight=83.5kg

Front squat
1x5x40kg
1x5x50kg
3x5x65kg

Bench Press
1x10x40kg
3x10x50kg

Felt really beat up after Monday, should prob have heeded advice and took a week of cardio and took a break from lifting to recover. So Wed/Fri I just done some light work. Start new cycle tonight (Mon 7th) I think.

I've used this a couple of times since Wed
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCp-YynBEvE[/youtube]

It's pretty good, going to try it before bench today. Sometimes when I'm benching I'm getting a bit of pain in my left shoulder. I think some rotator cuff work and a good warmup will take care of this!

Been allowing a bit more processed food in my dinner and been a bit more lax with eating the last week. Seems to be working well, meals are going down really quick. We'll see what it's like with increased calories now that heavy training will resume again!
chewybaws

Postby chewybaws » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:19 pm

Powerlifting Schedule - Week 1

Mon 7th March 2011
Morningweight=83.2kg

Squat
5x5x112.5kg (no belt)

Bench
8,8,8,14x60kg

Hyperextensions
3x10

Seated calf raises
10,10,19x57.5kg

First things first, that shoulder warmup worked wonders. I done it before squats and bench. Before I was quite frequently getting pain round the back of my left shoulder during squats, nothing after that warmup. And bench I didn't feel any pain. There was still SOMETHING there but it was greatly reduced - hopefully after I strengthen them from doing that routine frequently it will disapear completely.

Surprisingly the squats were difficult. Towards the end of the 4th and 5th set was starting to lose tightness a bit and started rocking forward a bit. The only good thing about them was they didn't slow down that much. Bench honestly felt like nothing...

Won't be doing those hyperextensions again, bit of a waste of time. If I want an extra back exercise I'll do good mornings. At least they work lol (and have better transfer).

Used a tennis ball to roll my piriformis described here http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=23315
Been stretching out my IT band a bit more frequently as well.
chewybaws

Postby KC Masterpiece » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:23 pm

[quote="chewybaws"]Used a tennis ball to roll my piriformis described here http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=23315
Been stretching out my IT band a bit more frequently as well.

This mobility warm up has completely, completely changed my performance in traning. I can't recommend it enough.

I also do this as a warm down plus static ham/groin and pec stretches.
KC Masterpiece

Postby ninearms » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:58 pm

Try doing your hypers against bands - hook it under the hyper station and double it over your neck. Totally changes the feeling, especially if you do them with bent knees. 5 sets of 10 with a light band (Iron Woody blue) and you'll be on the floor with the worst lower back pump ever and glutes like jelly.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby thestoatyone » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:13 pm

Ah the unit 60kg bench challenge returns, you should have gone for Buzz's record, it's only about 20 reps...
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs