Going vegan = bad skin??

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Going vegan = bad skin??

Postby TofuPup » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:17 pm

Hi there

I wonder if anyone could offer any advice... I went vegan about 18 months ago but ever since I have had more problems with spots and blocked pores than ever before in my life. I wondered if it was a soy allergy, but I have been drinking soy milk every morning for about the last 4-5 years without any problems.

My diet is good and clean - lots of fruit and veg, proteins, raw veggies too.

Any ideas as to why this might be?
TofuPup

Re: Going vegan = bad skin??

Postby beforewisdom » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:29 pm

A similar thing happened to a vegetarian friend who I convinced to go vegan. It eventually went away, but we never found out what the cause was. She worked at her diet for a while in reducing the junk and eating more vegetables.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby KaliBaby » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:45 pm

on your face or on your body? that is quite weird. could it be something to do with your training? sweat and dirt could clog your pores.
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby vegimator » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:08 pm

Are you eating enough omega 3s?
vegimator

Postby beforewisdom » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:27 pm

Excellent point. Some vegan diets can be very low in fat and the high fat vegan foods ( nuts, seeds, avodcaoes, soy, etc ) have many of the things that give people healthy skin.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby TofuPup » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:38 am

That might well be it.

I have hemp protein powder every morning, though I have been trying to cut down my fat intake of late to get rid of Christmas-related tubbiness. I'll get some extra brazil nuts and avocados in and see how I go.

Thanks!
TofuPup

Postby VirtueVigilante » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:21 am

/
Last edited by VirtueVigilante on Sun May 15, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VirtueVigilante

Postby erske » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:14 pm

I don't know if it's related, but I have a theory that when I eat lots of carrots, containing lots of beta carotene (vit A) I get less acne. (On the other hand, my acne outbreaks seem to be more stress related, which also coincide with more junk food, and less vegies and carrots... But I still like to entertain the Idea! :wink: )
Something irrelevant about cavemen
erske

Postby Gelert » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:18 pm

Another possibility:

Going vegan properly often prompts a search through the bathroom cupboards for soaps, shower gels etc that contain animal products (or tested upon) and their replacement with animal-friendly products.

Has this happened, and if so, is it possibly that the replacement may contain something which doesn't agree with your skin?
Gelert

Postby Kayzerino » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:39 am

Hello, I have eczema and am vegan. You need to make sure you're eating alot of anti-oxidants (berries are amazing for this.) You also need to cut down artificial sugars (candies and sweets) and salts as this is what dries the skin out. I find that if I eat candy in the day my hands get very dry. I try to make sure to eat Omega 3's as well (as someone stated above.)

I hope that helps :)
Kayzerino

Postby TofuPup » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:03 am

Thanks for your good advice, everyone.

I also suspect I may have a soy allergy - I've upped the amount of soy products I consume since going vegan which might explain why my skin has got worse, so I'm going to cut out soy for a month or so to see if anything improves.
TofuPup

Postby ProteinVegan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:19 pm

I learned that the higher fat Vegan foods do different things for people. The extreme change in diet was a big factor for me. I had to gradually change my diet over a period of 4-5 months. Starting with breakfast, and protein drinks after workouts. Then adding lunch and gradually dinner. Sometimes the body reacts differently to such a drastic change in food. :roll:
ProteinVegan

Postby V-Igor » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:24 pm

TofuPup wrote:Thanks for your good advice, everyone.

I also suspect I may have a soy allergy - I've upped the amount of soy products I consume since going vegan which might explain why my skin has got worse, so I'm going to cut out soy for a month or so to see if anything improves.

That's the right way...
V-Igor

Postby BlueRose » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:06 pm

Whenever I either go off my fitness routine or start up a new one, I get breakouts. Beyond hormones I haven't found anything in my diet that affects it one way or another. I do my best when I keep my face clean, wash in the morning and at night, and drink a lot of water.
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421637141388613/

Doing Les Mills Combat and loving it!
http://www.TeaAddictedGeek.com
BlueRose

Return to New Vegan