Finally, a shout out for Legumes

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Finally, a shout out for Legumes

Postby beforewisdom » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:16 am

WebMD.com gives a long overdue shout out to an under-appreciate favorite food of mine: legumes

From
http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/bean ... superfoods

One cup of cooked beans (or two-thirds of a can) provides about 12 grams of fiber -- nearly half the recommended daily dose of 21 to 25 grams per day for adult women (30 to 38 grams for adult men)

Still not convinced? In a recent study, bean eaters weighed, on average, 7 pounds less and had slimmer waists than their bean-avoiding counterparts

Beans are high in antioxidants, a class of phytochemicals that incapacitate cell-damaging free radicals in the body, says Brick. (Free radicals have been implicated in everything from cancer and aging to neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.)

In a U.S. Department of Agriculture study, researchers measured the antioxidant capacities of more than 100 common foods. Three types of beans made the top four: small red beans, red kidney beans, and pinto beans. And three others -- black beans, navy beans, and black-eyed peas -- achieved top-40 status.

Here is an article I wrote about how to prepare beans to make them a more pleasant experience:
http://beforewisdom.com/blog/cooking/beans-2/

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Re: Finally, a shout out for Legumes

Postby Fallen_Horse » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:28 am

Yeah they are great for you, too bad they are so high in fiber and taste like poo :(
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby beforewisdom » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:48 am

The fiber is one of the things that makes legumes good for you and if they taste look poo to you, then you just aren't cooking the beans right. Try more recipes.

This news has me stoked. I've been eating beans several times a day since I was in college. I felt bad that I often didn't eat vegetables while I was a student, so I feel happy knowing that I was getting antioxidants from the legumes.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby Sid Delicious » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:00 am

Fallen_Horse wrote:Yeah they are great for you, too bad they are so high in fiber and taste like poo :(

WTF do you cook them in for them to taste like that? If you use horse poo to cook with them is it still vegan?
Sid Delicious

Postby susand828 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:36 pm

:D I LOVE beans. I too eat them every single day. I'm excited to read this. Thanks for sharing.
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. (Anonymous)
susand828

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating