Motorsport

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Motorsport

Postby SpugFab » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:43 pm

Inspired by Stoaty's "dead before it got started" six nations thread, I thought I'd go one better and see if there was any appetite for a general motorsport discussion. Sadly I think the car enthusiasts around here are more of the "Max Power - check out ma alloys" persuasion, but here goes.

This weekend sees the start of the WRC season in Sweden. Might be an interesting season with the changes to the car specifications and the arrival of Mini (for half of the events). Quite looking forward to the live "power" stage on Sunday afternoon too. In the UK there are highlights on ESPN and Motors TV.

Anyone else following it? (or F1, or MotoGP)

Anyone...
SpugFab

Re: Motorsport

Postby Talyn » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:38 pm

I enjoy watching F1, have been the Melbourne grand prix a couple of times.

So I will be happy to talk to you about that once the season starts in March :)

I've not followed WRC, but my Dad is quite into it. Sadly I don't have access to ESPN or else I'd watch it.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby ninearms » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:28 pm

I'll gladly talk about nothing but F1 from about 1988 onwards, and I'll talk about Ayrton Senna until I get banned, if that's what you want.

31 days until the first race of the season, second pre-season test in Jerez tomorrow, with pretty much all the teams having their new cars out on track. Looking forward to the sight of Bruno Senna driving the black and gold Lotus, even if he's nowhere near the standard of his uncle (who is or was?). Probably the only chance he'll ever get to drive a decent car now seeing as the soapbox derby cart he had to drive last year pretty much ruined any reputation he might have had. The circumstances are obviously not ideal however. Renault must have been off their heads to let Kubica go rally driving. Even Senna thought rally drivers were crazy.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/arti ... ly-driver/
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/arti ... -rallying/
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/arti ... allying-2/

Looking forward to this coming out in June too:

“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby SpugFab » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:08 am

Talyn wrote:once the season starts in March :)

As ninearms says, the season is already upon us! Testing underway now and GP2 Asia kicks off this weekend (on Eurosport).

ninearms wrote:Renault must have been off their heads to let Kubica go rally driving

I remember tales of Kimi doing a snowmobile race under a fake name (James Hunt :) ) while all the other drivers were in Melbourne getting ready for the first GP of the season.
SpugFab

Postby thestoatyone » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:30 pm

F1's been dull for the last decade or so, up until the last season or so I reckon. I'm just holding out for turbos and slicks coming back. Either way, for the last ten years rallying has been much more entertaining than the "Lets all follow Schumacher" procession of F1 IMO.

p.s. that mini is an abomination, but with prodrive behind it, it will clear up...
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby ninearms » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:49 pm

thestoatyone wrote:F1's been dull for the last decade or so, up until the last season or so I reckon. I'm just holding out for turbos and slicks coming back. Either way, for the last ten years rallying has been much more entertaining than the "Lets all follow Schumacher" procession of F1 IMO.

p.s. that mini is an abomination, but with prodrive behind it, it will clear up...

Slicks have been back for a couple of seasons already, turbo diesels maybe here in 2013 when the engine regs are up for renewal as F1 needs to be seen to be improving its environmental credentials (although F1 engines are already more fuel efficient than any current non-electric road car, it's just the drag that makes the consumption rocket).

Not sure about any procession of cars behind Schumacher though - he retired in 2006 and had already stopped "dominating" the sport by 2005 (he won 1 race that season, and he only really stood out from the rest for 2 seasons during that period - 2002 and 2003 - either side of that he had Senna, Prost, Hakkinen, Raikkonen (91 pts to Schumacher's 93 that year) and Alonso to contend with). In fact, the only season he really dominated was 2001 when Hakkinen was driving a turd and ready to retire.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby SpugFab » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:12 pm

You know Loeb is sitting on seven consecutive WRC titles, certainly up there with Schumacher's achievements. How tight those years have been I couldn't say, I haven't really been following it over that time.

Great action from Sweden at the weekend, incredible seeing these drivers handle the snow. Strange moment on the last stage when Petter Solberg got busted speeding on the way to a stage and got an instant ban (actually kicked in just before the last stage) from driving in Sweden, meaning his co-driver had to take the wheel.

F1 does have a problem with overtaking, especially on certain circuits. It's not great sport to watch a driver cruise up behind another at a couple of seconds a lap, only to be stuck there for the duration. I'm not convinced by this moveable rear wing, will be interesting to see it implemented though.

I quite liked the move away from refuelling conceptually, so much depends on the tyres though. Too many times last season guys were competitive on tyres that should have been down to the rims. It would be nice to see them wear at a rate that makes a two stop strategy feasible. Will be interesting to see what Pirelli serve up, if it is any indicator in the GP2 Asia at the weekend the tyre seemed to drop off early but then stabilise and have a long tail.
SpugFab

Postby SpugFab » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:14 pm

SpugFab wrote:It would be nice to see them wear at a rate that makes a two stop strategy feasible.

Positive noises being made by Pirelli:

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/news/2011/02/16/pirelli-announces-hard-and-soft-pzero-compounds-for-the-first-four-grands-prix/

However, the soft tyre will give extra speed at the expense of resistance, which will make for some fascinating strategies as the teams compete with their new cars for the first time. Pirelli’s aim is to have two pit stops at every race, helping to increase the spectacle.
SpugFab

Postby bob_summers » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:45 pm

i'd watch BSB/motoGP if i had time. formula one does nothing for me (well, not since the cars had 6 wheels), but i have been to rubens barichello's house :D
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby SpugFab » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:20 pm

bob_summers wrote:i'd watch BSB/motoGP if i had time.

I think it's usually available on demand on the bbc website, although maybe that's UK only.

In other news, racing fans everywhere rejoice as it appears the annual season opening Bahrain Grand Procession will be cancelled:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9400392.stm
SpugFab

Postby ninearms » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:58 pm

SpugFab wrote:
bob_summers wrote:i'd watch BSB/motoGP if i had time.

I think it's usually available on demand on the bbc website, although maybe that's UK only.

In other news, racing fans everywhere rejoice as it appears the annual season opening Bahrain Grand Procession will be cancelled:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9400392.stm

If only it was permanently cancelled. If there's one thing worse than boring Tilke tracks it's boring Tilke tracks in the middle of the desert in a country with no racing heritage whatsoever.
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby thestoatyone » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:56 pm

Thread Necromancy!

Quick report on this years Le Mans: I got drunk, there was a huge amount of silliness, the cars were loud and fast (Or in the case of the Audis, freaky quiet and INSANELY fast) I got drunk, the group C support race only did one lap in anger due to a very long yellow flag/safety car, Rowan Atkinson did a stint in one of the other support races Astons and ended where he started, and then I got drunk again.

How motor sport should be really.

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby XkillerX » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:09 am

Hey, dont know where else to post this, but since most of y'all are from the UK, are you doing track days?

The only track in serbekistan got finally opened to public this year so I was eager to try.

To say I was dissapointed would be an understatement. Turns out my car handles extremely well and is very predictable but is way too heavy and woefully underpowered for track racing (it is a rally car without the rally engine, after all), but that was not the problem. The track is way too short and boring, it's completely flat, and doing lap after lap after lap of the same old got very boring very fast. Naturally the AC had to be switched off for the few extra ponies, so I also got a big sweat stinkup in there. I failed to make friends with the other, since the other racers looked awfully smug yet horribly out of shape (unlike their vehicles).

After that I got back to my old habit of seeking out deserted backcountry roads and smiling from ear to ear through each and every corner.

---

As for motorsports, formula 1 stopped being fun a long time ago, especially when Big Money came in. I did go to a race as well but unlike stoaty I did not got drunk so the only fun moment of the race was a bunch of austrian Gerhard Berger supporters singing "Schuuumaaacher ist homosexuel, homosexuel, homosexuel..." to the tune of the Yellow Submarine after schumi won the race.
Next time, I'll spend the money on drugs instead.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby thestoatyone » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:30 pm

My 30th birthday prezzie off the missus was a bunch of laps in a Subaru Imprezza and a Lotus Elise around a circuit on a disused airfield. Loadsa fun, but only 4 laps each, so I had barely got a hang of the cars by the time they chucked me off. They then got one of the supervisors to rag me round in the Elise in a royally vicious fashion; turns out I was so far off the limit of that thing it's unreal. Savage car.

Oh, and I'd take alcoholism over condoning homophobia anyday mate *clicks fingers in a z-formation*

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby XkillerX » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:11 pm

thestoatyone wrote:Oh, and I'd take alcoholism over condoning homophobia anyday mate *clicks fingers in a z-formation*

:?: :?: :?:
Next time, I'll spend the money on drugs instead.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Next

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness