Meat eating hardgainer switching to Vegetarian Diet [Help]

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Meat eating hardgainer switching to Vegetarian Diet [Help]

Postby nyquil » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:03 pm

Hi guys(and gals),

What a great site and community this is! I feel very fortunate to have found this site at this time when i'm about to make the biggest diet change of my life! and I look forward to learning from each and one of you in the future.

Though i am still currently a meat eater, i've always been very concious about my diet. I have never been overweight in my entire life... never was into sweets and junk food, and overall, have been quite athletic all my life. In addition, I have always known the importance of having a balanced meal, as well as the crucial role fruits and vegetables play in our lives. But, i think it's time for me to finally embrace and take the plunge and give this Vegetarian diet a go. (hey, if i can get all the protein from non-animal products without clogging my arteries... why not right?) :D

I'm a male in my late 20s, with a height of 5'11 and weigh in at around 145-155 lbs. Needless to say, i'm quite lean with a very low body fat percentage. I know that a lot of people enjoyed the weight loss that often comes with switching from a meat oriented diet to a strictly vegetarian diet, but as a hardgainer with a fast metabolism, weight lost is really the last thing on my mind.

With that being said, I was wondering if anyone could perhaps help me build a good vegetarian meal plan? Though i'm quite familiar with sprouting alfalfa , superfoods, making kombucha tea, making kefir, and what fruit/vegetable is good for what, there are still a lot of names i am very unaccustomed to. (all the different kinds of beans and grains especially)

If it's not too much trouble, could someone show me what their grocery list or what their daily meal plan is like? Because I would very much like to start on this journey as soon as possible.. maybe go shopping this weekend and gather up all the necessary ingredients a vegetarian bodybuilder would need for his daily consumptions. Maybe some good recipes for some simple everyday vegetarian dishes? (not something extravagant and fancy looking like the things we see in Vegetarian magazines... but just real meals that are simple to make and dont take up too much time)

Lastly, do i need to consume about the same amount of calories as i did when i was on the meat diet? will i require the same amount of protein? I'm guessing that if i take out the meat from my diet i probably wont need as much as i used to since my body will no longer spend so much energy digesting the meat. But at the same time, I am dreadful of losing weight during this process. (since my goal is to be gain some size while staying lean and cut.)

Anyway, i'll cut this post short since it's already long as it is. haha

I look forward to hearing from you all, and thanks in advance!

-nyquil
nyquil

Re: Meat eating hardgainer switching to Vegetarian Diet [Hel

Postby baldy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:36 pm

nyquil wrote:Though i am still currently a meat eater, i've always been very concious about my diet. I have never been overweight in my entire life... never was into sweets and junk food, and overall, have been quite athletic all my life. In addition, I have always known the importance of having a balanced meal, as well as the crucial role fruits and vegetables play in our lives. But, i think it's time for me to finally embrace and take the plunge and give this Vegetarian diet a go. (hey, if i can get all the protein from non-animal products without clogging my arteries... why not right?) :D

Surely you mean vegan diet? :)

nyquil wrote:I'm a male in my late 20s, with a height of 5'11 and weigh in at around 145-155 lbs. Needless to say, i'm quite lean with a very low body fat percentage. I know that a lot of people enjoyed the weight loss that often comes with switching from a meat oriented diet to a strictly vegetarian diet, but as a hardgainer with a fast metabolism, weight lost is really the last thing on my mind.

Most people tend to say the stuff about being a hard gainer with a fast metabolism is nonsense. Odds are you just don't eat that many calories compared to what you burn. I have the same issue, my appetite for food is not as big as my appetite for exercise.

nyquil wrote:Lastly, do i need to consume about the same amount of calories as i did when i was on the meat diet? will i require the same amount of protein? I'm guessing that if i take out the meat from my diet i probably wont need as much as i used to since my body will no longer spend so much energy digesting the meat.

Yes same amount of calories and same amount of protein. The energy your body uses to digest meat I dont think is that significant.

nyquil wrote:But at the same time, I am dreadful of losing weight during this process. (since my goal is to be gain some size while staying lean and cut.)

Gaining sizing while staying lean and cut is virtually impossible. To get bigger you need to eat excess calories which is going to mean some extra fat. It doesnt mean you will turn into slob overnight. Plus the more muscle (size) you put on the easier it is to lose weight later on.
Pick one goal and push for that, adding size and staying lean are opposite goals.

As for a meal plan, this is my bulkers diet. If I stick to it I put on 1kg a week guaranteed.
Wake:smoothie banana + 60g oats + 30g protein
Breakfast: 60g oats with sugar and soya milk
2nd Breakfast: toast or bagel with peanut butter or hummus
Lunch: Left overs from dinner, roughly same size as dinner
snack: 30g protein + 30g carbs in a shake
Pre workout: 4 slices of bread + 2 potato waffles and some baked beans
Post workout: 30g protein + 30g carbs in a shake
Dinner: Tofu stir try with loads of rice.

also check out the bulkers corner -> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4518&hilit=bulker&start=900
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Talyn » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:48 pm

You're really over-complicating it.

Get some tofu.
Get some beans.
Get some grains.
Get some vegetables.

Eat more than what you think is enough. Hardgainer is an excuse for not eating properly when trying to support strength/size goals.

Good luck.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby JP » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:05 pm

i would flag one warning sign from your intro mate.

You are not only switching towards more plant based diet but also doing HUGE changes in the way of trying to eat super"healthy" stuff only. This could be a recipe for distaster.

You could try to eat more or less normal what you do now, but just switch some things around.

Personally i enjoy pretty much "regular" foods, but just use different vegan sources to replace the dead animal bits and their excrements. But that is just how I enjoy eating.

Also i do need to eat a lot because of my chosen sport, and would struggle to put away enough calories in fresh vegetable and fruit form.
JP
Site Admin

Postby KaliBaby » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:12 pm

I feel like a jerk saying this but I really don't like/want meat-eaters being part of the forum...
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby Linnéa76 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:00 pm

KaliBaby wrote:I feel like a jerk saying this but I really don't like/want meat-eaters being part of the forum...

Better support and encourage him in making the switch to vegetarianism then! :)
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby fredrikw » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:24 pm

VF has always been a place welcoming all people interested in veganism and training, regardless if they're vegan or not. The only thing that's asked for is to keep non-vegan posts away from the forum, so VF can be a place where we don't have to be constantly exposed animal exploitation. There has been examples of people going vegan from hanging out here, where VF has been the deciding factor in that switch, if these people would have been driven away or didn't feel welcome they would perhaps still eat their 83 (or whatever number we're up to now) animals per year.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby JP » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:05 am

Linnéa76 wrote:Better support and encourage him in making the switch to vegetarianism then! :)

she just did ;)

me and kali have this good cop bad cop thing going...
JP
Site Admin

Postby KaliBaby » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:07 pm

JP wrote:
Linnéa76 wrote:Better support and encourage him in making the switch to vegetarianism then! :)

she just did ;)

me and kali have this good cop bad cop thing going...

Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby JP » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:33 pm

lol! :D

that dude will have no chance!
JP
Site Admin

Return to New Vegan